• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ireland in England 2019

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Foakes going to be dropped despite a century on dayboo? Buttler has definitely shown signs of improvement as a test match batsman IMO. I think Woakes at 3 is worth a punt. Maybe they're bringing Ballance back.

Edit: forgot the squad had been announced but the 3 keeper problem is interesting.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think I'll quote Lillian in big letters so I and others don't forget.
The England Squad is missing a few names, but includes Jason Roy.

Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Lewis Gregory, Jack Leach, Jason Roy, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.
I'm guessing Denly will be no. 3.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah the side will be

Jason Roy
Rory Burns
Joe Denly
Joe Root (c)
Jonny Bairstow
Moeen Ali
Chris Woakes
Sam Curran
Stuart Broad
Jack Leach / Olly Stone
James Anderson

I get resting Buttler, but it is batting light, and I don't think pretending Moeen is a batsmen for a bit longer will make it fact. You'd think they'd pick at least one batsman out of CC when there's room.

Bijed

International Regular
More likely that Denly stays, Buttler and Stokes return and two bowlers (Curran and Leach/Stone in Howe's side) make way imo

Howe_zat

Audio File
More likely that Denly stays, Buttler and Stokes return and two bowlers (Curran and Leach/Stone in Howe's side) make way imo
I'd prefer that - at least Denly is an attempt at finding a working top order - but he probably needs to make runs here for it to stick

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah one of the biggest factors in our different home/away results is that all our #7s #8s are good for multiple significant scores across an English summer, while they're pretty much #9s in a lot of away conditions. That said if Starc and Cummins are are able to bowl at their top pace Australia are probably one of the few sides that could genuinely make our lower order redundant on a lot of occasions.
Struggle to do it now they aren't sandpapering the ball.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah the side will be

Jason Roy
Rory Burns
Joe Denly
Joe Root (c)
Jonny Bairstow
Moeen Ali
Chris Woakes
Sam Curran
Stuart Broad
Jack Leach / Olly Stone
James Anderson

I get resting Buttler, but it is batting light, and I don't think pretending Moeen is a batsmen for a bit longer will make it fact. You'd think they'd pick at least one batsman out of CC when there's room.
I could see Gregory getting a go (especially if it's a little overcast) to potentially lengthen the batting ahead of Leach/Stone.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Yeah the side will be

Jason Roy
Rory Burns
Joe Denly
Joe Root (c)
Jonny Bairstow
Moeen Ali
Chris Woakes
Sam Curran
Stuart Broad
Jack Leach / Olly Stone
James Anderson

I think it's worth trying to get Moeen into form with the bat though. With a vulnerable (to say the least) 1 - 3 runs down the order could be vital. Ali has 5 test centuries, so to get him into some form with the bat before the Ashes could be very significant. .

tooextracool

International Coach
I could see Gregory getting a go (especially if it's a little overcast) to potentially lengthen the batting ahead of Leach/Stone.
With a bowling attack of Anderson, Woakes, Broad and Curran it almost certainly has to be Stone doesn't it? Barring injury, I cannot see how they will go with another fast medium option.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson's just been ruled out, and may be in doubt for the Ashes opener. I suppose you don't recover as quickly when you reach that age.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Remember when we rested and experimented with players in the Bangladesh games before going to India? We drew 1-1 and lost out on ranking points and ended up losing 4-0 to India anyway.
That better not happen here in our first test against Ireland at lords .
Anyway interesting contest between mo and leach, the way mo has been batting if he fails here and is out bowled by leach he could lose his ashes spot imo

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, one bowler too many for mine. Makes me suspect they aren't taking this fixture too seriously, which could be trouble.

That said I find myself optimistic about Roy.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Is it just me that thinks that's the poorest England lineup seen for a long time? Wow it's ordinary. Shows what can happen if 3 players are missing, I'm slightly surprised by the lack of depth.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Very much looking forward to some red ball cricket, I hope it's a decent contest.