• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Pakistan

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Including dissent?
For Adam Gilchrist to show dissent it must have been the worst decision in the history of, well, cricket certainly and probably sport in general. Even among this Aussie team, Gilly stands out - like some kind of really bright beacony thing - as an exemplar of moral rectitude. Is it blasphemy to call the man a saint, an angel? If it is then I don't have the vocabulary to do him justice. A shame he's gone all rubbish at batting.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
garage flower said:
For Adam Gilchrist to show dissent it must have been the worst decision in the history of, well, cricket certainly and probably sport in general. Even among this Aussie team, Gilly stands out - like some kind of really bright beacony thing - as an exemplar of moral rectitude. Is it blasphemy to call the man a saint, an angel? If it is then I don't have the vocabulary to do him justice. A shame he's gone all rubbish at batting.
"In other news, Adam Gilchrist was found guilty of dissent..."

:p

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
"In other news, Adam Gilchrist was found guilty of dissent..."

:p
I'm afraid I refuse to believe it. I just can't live in a world where Adam Gilchrist can be found guilty of anything other than being too goshdarned honest for his own good. I can't - oh bollox to it - I'm going to bed (...to dream of Adam Gilchrist, bestriding the globe in his gleaming whites, spreading the word of cricketing honesty and sportsmanship to all men).

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
garage flower said:
I'm afraid I refuse to believe it. I just can't live in a world where Adam Gilchrist can be found guilty of anything other than being too goshdarned honest for his own good. I can't - oh bollox to it - I'm going to bed (...to dream of Adam Gilchrist, bestriding the globe in his gleaming whites, spreading the word of cricketing honesty and sportsmanship to all men).
You`ve been a great read ever since you were a young orange pitch... :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I watched much of the first day (I guess the cable company viewed that as a 'sweetener' to encourage more subscribers) and thoroughly enjoyed it because at that time it wasn't totally evident that it was all down to the pitch.

As the game continued, so my interest waned as it became more and more obvious that the pitch was a lifeless featherbed. Today, I didn't even have the desktop scoreboard - not even minimised - just relied on Sky Sports News. That was how interesting I found it (just a flicker as each milestone was passed).
Well, I actually went off to sleep while watching the game. My wife came in and switched off the telly. This woke me up ! I told her "dont switch it off I am watching !!"

She switched it on again and in ten minutes I was happily snoring again. Honestly.

The only thing I regret missing during that period was Nasser and Imran whenever they were on.

Yesterday, I did not watch after Shoab was taken off and went to work. While it was exciting to see 400 going on my PC, I didnt regret for a minute not watching this record partnership because Shoaib never came back to bowl.

BTW, India were more than 500 runs behind Pakistan when Shoaib was taken off by Inzy and he hasnt bowled again.

I dont know why the curator is such a big culprit when Pakistan's skipper is such a wimp ? Sorry for the strong words my dear Pakistani friends but I find it amazing that Shoaib did not bowl again.

adharcric

International Coach
SJS said:
Well, I actually went off to sleep while watching the game. My wife came in and switched off the telly. This woke me up ! I told her "dont switch it off I am watching !!"

She switched it on again and in ten minutes I was happily snoring again. Honestly.

The only thing I regret missing during that period was Nasser and Imran whenever they were on.

Yesterday, I did not watch after Shoab was taken off and went to work. While it was exciting to see 400 going on my PC, I didnt regret for a minute not watching this record partnership because Shoaib never came back to bowl.

BTW, India were more than 500 runs behind Pakistan when Shoaib was taken off by Inzy and he hasnt bowled again.

I dont know why the curator is such a big culprit when Pakistan's skipper is such a wimp ? Sorry for the strong words my dear Pakistani friends but I find it amazing that Shoaib did not bowl again.
Maybe Shoaib had some new niggle and he was the real 'wimp' rather than Inzamam. I don't see how a captain can just forget about his best and only world-class bowler when the opposition batsmen are dominating.

I too am disappointed at this test match. More than the lifeless track that has been prepared, I found the ridiculous 'bad light' and 'bad weather' situation at Lahore to be the most annoying aspect of this test match. I really don't mind watching Sehwag and Dravid dominate for long periods, but having play called off so often is really frustrating. Last night (I'm in California so matches start at 9 pm), play was off at 11 pm due to bad light after 2 overs being bowled. For the first time, I went to sleep and chose not to wait for the cricket to start .. something very rare for a fanatic like me. That's how ridiculous this situation has been .. bad light!!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Maybe Shoaib had some new niggle and he was the real 'wimp' rather than Inzamam. I don't see how a captain can just forget about his best and only world-class bowler when the opposition batsmen are dominating.

I too am disappointed at this test match. More than the lifeless track that has been prepared, I found the ridiculous 'bad light' and 'bad weather' situation at Lahore to be the most annoying aspect of this test match. I really don't mind watching Sehwag and Dravid dominate for long periods, but having play called off so often is really frustrating. Last night (I'm in California so matches start at 9 pm), play was off at 11 pm due to bad light after 2 overs being bowled. For the first time, I went to sleep and chose not to wait for the cricket to start .. something very rare for a fanatic like me. That's how ridiculous this situation has been .. bad light!!!
I know. The light situation has been very frustrating. With batsmen scoring at 5 runs an over, surely they are in no danger due to bad light. But ICC teaches umpires nowadays not to use common sense, just 'rules' !

On Shoaib, its possible what you say but one hasnt heard anything about fitness issues. He did strap his left ankle and he explained why in an interview.

BTW, Imran this morning asserted that Shoaib should NOT be bowled at all today nor should Sami so as not to sap their confidence and only the spinners should bowl the whole day. Nasser disagreed. :)

Last edited:

JustTool

State 12th Man
You are as insecure as Ganguly and just as Machiavellian 8-) . I excerpted an entire article that essentially said exactly that, and you choose to quote my one line paraphrasing of the conclusion as a "diatribe".

Good going - keep it up.

Sanz said:
And the Tool's diatribe continues...

JustTool

State 12th Man
I think it's plain ridiculous that first line bowlers need to be protected from doing their job: bowling. Just that act alone means India have won the pyschological battle. I mean, if 403/0 was not enough ! Nasser is right and, I am afraid, THE KHAN, for once, is plain wrong !

SJS said:
I know. The light situation has been very frustrating. With batsmen scoring at 5 runs an over, surely they are in no danger due to bad light. But ICC teaches umpires nowadays not to use common sense, just 'rules' !

On Shoaib, its possible what you say but one hasnt heard anything about fitness issues. He did starap his left ankle and he explained why in an interview.

BTW, Imran this morning asserted that Shoaib should NOT be bowled at all today nor should Sami so as not to sap their confidence and only the spinners should bowl the whole day. Nasser disagreed. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JustTool said:
I think it's plain ridiculous that first line bowlers need to be protected from doing their job: bowling. Just that act alone means India have won the pyschological battle. I mean, if 403/0 was not enough ! Nasser is right and, I am afraid, THE KHAN, for once, is plain wrong !
I totally agree. And to take him off when you are still ahead by more than 500 runs and more than five sessions to go in the test shows a ridiculously defensive frame of mind.

After he had bowled his last ball of this test (till the point of writing) Shoaib had a prolonged staring session with Dravid which went on with Shoaib saying a couple of words at the end of it.

Wonder what he said ? "See you at Faisalabad when the wicket will do it for me" :)

I thought for a bowler about to give in (even if it was his captains decision) a Kumble-like "where the hell do I bowl the next ball" would have been more in order. Staring and surrendering kind of dont gel :p

Plus it deprived us of the only real contest left in this game. :sleep:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any chance of play today? Every time they go to inspect it seems like it starts raining again.

nehrafan

Banned
SJS said:
But I maintain the Pak attack is better. Shoaib does make a difference. Of the first 39 overs, he has bowled 15 (out of a maximum possible of 20) from one ned and conceded 45 runs. Can you imagine what the run rate would have been if he wasnt there.

Also can you imagine what Sehwag would do to Agarkar :p

Facing the Indian attack even Dravid may have been scoring at 60-65 runs per 100 balls on this wicket.

Our being 180 not out does not make our bowling attack better. If Pakistan could have scored better than 679 for 7 at that rate against their own attack, that would settle the argument :)
Sehwag thinks otherwise

Asked whether Shoaib Akhtar had been tamed on the placid track, he said, "You only have to look at the scores. We have not lost any wicket so far while scoring over 400 runs. It's obvious he's not performed up to his team's expectations."

Sehwag also said the Indian bowlers had done better than their Pakistani counterparts on the Gaddafi Stadium track. "We had taken seven wickets of theirs while they have taken none," he said.

nehrafan

Banned
JustTool said:
OK - I'll bet you the crowd doesn't go over 35. PCB should be ashamed of themselves..
Its understandable , as ppl generally don't like to see their national team being disgraced over and over again by arch rivals :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nehrafan said:
Sehwag thinks otherwise

Asked whether Shoaib Akhtar had been tamed on the placid track, he said, "You only have to look at the scores. We have not lost any wicket so far while scoring over 400 runs. It's obvious he's not performed up to his team's expectations."

Sehwag also said the Indian bowlers had done better than their Pakistani counterparts on the Gaddafi Stadium track. "We had taken seven wickets of theirs while they have taken none," he said.
What else do you expect him to say ?

This is what mind games are all about. India would like to rub it in and Pakistan would like to moan the death of the wicket :)

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No Test bowling attack is strong if it includes Rana Naved (61.66) and Mohammad Sami (47.15).
L :p L

If they struggle to get a single wkt even after conceeding 400+ runs, then it got to be one of the worst!

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Take mercy on us all and abandon this farce - rain, snow, sushine, whatever.

Zim v Bangas would be a better spectacle.