• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He played second division county cricket, and it had an initially positive impact on his performances in test cricket. Well worth a second go at a higher level imo. But even if he could get a contract with one of the 1st division sides, I suspect the IPL $ will win out, and I really can't blame him tbh.
I doubt he'll get an IPL contract, tbh.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Regarding the awkward scorecard, McCullum is captain. End of.

Perhaps he could bring up the back injury as an excuse miss the second test.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
he's a world class T20 player. 1194 @ 34, striking at 124. has a ton against SA in SA. if he wants one he will get one.
I agree that he's a good t20 player but the IPL teams can only play 4 international players and there are other bigger names (i.e. Glenn Maxwell lol) that they'll prefer to go for. Even from the NZ players, Anderson, Ryder, McCleneghan, Southee, Taylor, McCullum, Vettori, Ronchi, Williamson will have bigger pulling power IMO, even if most of them are not as good t20 players as him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, out of those players only Anderson, McCullum, Taylor and Ryder will have more pulling power than Guptill (Vettori isn't playing anymore). Now that he's made a score against India where his range of strokes was really on show, I'd be very surprised if he isn't picked up. Won't be anything huge tho ( my guess is in the $100-$200k range).

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand unchanged for India Tests | News | Cricket Blogs, Opinions & Analysis | Wisden India

Hesson said Bennett and Guptill were discussed at length but the selectors chose to reward “very good performances” in recent times by sticking to the same squad that did duty against West Indies. “Hamish was very close to selection,” said Hesson. “Trent Boult (the left-arm paceman) is going to return and play first-class cricket hopefully this week and if he gets through, then there is no spot for him (Hamish). It is a good position for us. Hamish is certainly knocking on the door.

“Martin was discussed along with Tom Latham, who is also pressing his claims at the top of the order. We are showing some faith in both Hamish (Rutherford) and Peter (Fulton, the two Test openers). We all know what Peter did last time he was at Eden Park (136 and 110 against England in March 2013). Hamish showed some really good qualities in Hamilton to get us through that last Test win (against West Indies). It is a hard side to make at the moment.”
The chances of Sodhi missing out, however, weren’t too high. “Even if it is a green wicket, it is not green for five days,” pointed out Hesson. “So if your seamers are able to do the job over the first two-three days, then you have got some variation coming over the back-end. It will have to be very, very green for us not to play a spin bowler.

“Ish is progressing very nicely. He has returned to first-class cricket. He has some experience in the shorter form and he’s performed nicely in that. So he’s confident and he’s the best spin bowler in the country and he’s only 21. He’s exciting.”

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Last I heard he was looking to be out of the second test rather than the first. I couldn't find anywhere saying it was likely to be the first?

Blocky

Banned
Yeah, sacking McCullum off the back of some indifferent ODI form despite his last three to five years with the bat being second only to Taylor as he moves up and down the order to fill any spot his side required makes perfect sense. We should replace him with Guptill who's obviously a much better batsman despite having no clue where the ball is going off his bat or how to construct an innings against a side that keeps the field up against him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, sacking McCullum off the back of some indifferent ODI form despite his last three to five years with the bat being second only to Taylor as he moves up and down the order to fill any spot his side required makes perfect sense. We should replace him with Guptill who's obviously a much better batsman despite having no clue where the ball is going off his bat or how to construct an innings against a side that keeps the field up against him.
Nobody has suggested anything like this at any stage.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Jesse must know the score anyway. His time at no. 5 will come eventually.

Btw, if we started discussing the origins of the First World War would you also find a way to insert a comment in Guptill's inability to rotate the strike?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, out of those players only Anderson, McCullum, Taylor and Ryder will have more pulling power than Guptill (Vettori isn't playing anymore). Now that he's made a score against India where his range of strokes was really on show, I'd be very surprised if he isn't picked up. Won't be anything huge tho ( my guess is in the $100-$200k range).
They also saw him crawl to 35 (65) in that innings and be generally lacking in scoring options early in his innings, which is an absolute no-no in t20. Now, we know that he plays differently and much better in the t20 format, but the Indians don't.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Jesse must know the score anyway. His time at no. 5 will come eventually.
Yeah, I suppose I can live with Jesse being back up to the middle order. It's good that Hesson hasn't screwed anyone else around, even though I'd be wanting to myself (i.e. have McCullum open again). I'm pretty sure that one of Williamson, Taylor, McCullum or Anderson will pick up a niggle some time this year. Particularly Anderson may need a rest if we're going into a dead rubber. And McCullum doesn't have long to go so hopefully Jesse won't be getting frustrated.

I hate to get excited about players retiring, but when Fulton and Baz call it we're going to have a very exciting young test team.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I quite like those comments by Hesson about the fringe players (very Graham Henryish).

Maybe it's because I'm just so happy to see how close Bennett actually now us to the test 11.

If my job was actually on the line and I had to justify changes, then I would also retain Wagner. He's done ok.