• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Banning all sledging is just a knee-jerk reaction and is a pipe dream at best and will never work. I'd much rather players being properly educated in different aspects of various cultures and their sensitivities and a crackdown on abuse with specific rules for what's acceptable and what is not.

There's no way in the world you could tell me that something as innocent as this should be banned.
Try to draw any line in the sand, and someone will not only step over it - they will piss over it.

I don't know what the solution is (despite my having a letter on the subject published in The Times last week :) ), but one thing is certain - doing nothing is no solution at all.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Try to draw any line in the sand, and someone will not only step over it - they will piss over it.

I don't know what the solution is (despite my having a letter on the subject published in The Times last week :) ), but one thing is certain - doing nothing is no solution at all.
No-one is advocating doing nothing. I personally am just saying banning it is pointless.

pasag

RTDAS
I think Raghav's sig was the mini series version which goes "Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard", but I think the accepted one is "Which of you bastards called Larwood a bastard instead of this bastard."

Not sure though, happy to be corrected by Archie etc.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why stop there? Ban people from playing the game. I'm sure there won't be any sledging between robots. All due respect but the notion is fanciful. It's not defeatist, it's acknowledging reality.
It's the orchestrated nature of sledging that has to stop, and until that happens, the situation will only get worse.

We are very close to players coming to blows - I reckon that will happen in a test match before the end of 2008 unless something is done to rein the nonsense in.

pasag

RTDAS

You draw the line at what's acceptable and what's not acceptable and regulate from there. This should all be decided and players educated on where the line is. Once we start hauling in Sangas in front of the match referee for stuff like that, we know we have a big problem.

Hey, I've never been a fan of sledging and think it's an irritant when the focus should be on cricket, however I'd be strongly against any sort of blanket bans.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's the orchestrated nature of sledging that has to stop, and until that happens, the situation will only get worse.

We are very close to players coming to blows - I reckon that will happen in a test match before the end of 2008 unless something is done to rein the nonsense in.
Doubt it muchly. Been hearing the same stuff written/spoken/bar burped to me since I've been watching cricket and yet nothing has happened which even remotely resembles that between LIllee and Miandad and;

1) That was a fairy tap, more disrespectful than a genuine attempt to hurt anyone
2) Sledging appeared to be far worse/more frequent, less well regulated, etc.

I'm sorry Henny PenLE, the sky isn't falling on this one because more likely conditions for it to do so have existed many times previously and it hasn't happened yet so feel free to keep forecasting the end of the world but, from my perspective, it's not very likely to happen.

EDIT: Blanket statement corrected for experimental error. :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just when I changed my sig, you posted mate....

Would you want to me to put my old sig again?
Nah, you're good. But cheers anyway. :) Looks like saggers has covered me:

I think Raghav's sig was the mini series version which goes "Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard", but I think the accepted one is "Which of you bastards called Larwood a bastard instead of this bastard."

Not sure though, happy to be corrected by Archie etc.
As an aside, in Was It All Cricket? by Daniel Reese he says a South African football team toured Sydney a couple of years after Bodyline with a forward whose surname was actually "Bastard". Apparently the opposition were divided as to whether rag him as "Jardine" or "Larwood".

pasag

RTDAS
As an aside, in Was It All Cricket? by Daniel Reese he says a South African football team toured Sydney a couple of years after Bodyline with a forward whose surname was actually "Bastard". Apparently the opposition were divided as to whether rag him as "Jardine" or "Larwood".
:laugh:

Ironically (as I'm sure you know) Jardine himself referred to Bradman as "The Little Bastard".

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Banning all sledging is just a knee-jerk reaction and is a pipe dream at best and will never work. I'd much rather players being properly educated in different aspects of various cultures and their sensitivities and a crackdown on abuse with specific rules for what's acceptable and what is not.

There's no way in the world you could tell me that something as innocent as this should be banned.
Sure, I can tell you that. It should be banned. Maybe we can focus on cricket after that.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Sure, I can tell you that. It should be banned. Maybe we can focus on cricket after that.
Akin to chopping off ones head to cure dandruff.

And how will the focus be on cricket when we start prosecuting everyone who utters a peep on the field? It will do much more harm then the alternative, which is a better understanding of different cultures, what's acceptable and unacceptable and attempting to stamp out abuse, not banter and harmless sledging.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Akin to chopping off ones head to cure dandruff.

And how will the focus be on cricket when we start prosecuting everyone who utters a peep on the field? It will do much more harm then the alternative, which is a better understanding of different cultures, what's acceptable and unacceptable and attempting to stamp out abuse, not banter and harmless sledging.
It'll be a mess for six months until players figure out they should shut the hell up.