• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does anyone else feel like me? Ever since Australia "won" the second match due to Bucknor's and Benson's heroics, I cannot really take this series seriously anymore. The outcome of the match was entirely dictated by factors other than cricket but the score line does not tell the story. So how can this be taken seriously anymore? Is this not a sham?
Not really mate. There have been 100s of poor decisions which have affected scores of matches over the years. Despite the temptation, I won't for example go back to the 2005 Ashes series. India got some bad calls, but they still ought to have drawn the game, and done so easily.

When you look back on the Sydney match, try to remember that although Dravid got a dud call on day 5, India conspired to lose 9 other wickets in 2 overs plus 2 sessions on a wicket which was hardly the most diabolical of 5th day pitches. As for the Ganguly decision, I'm still yet to see a replay which shows the ball bouncing before Clarke caught it. Kumble's heroics aside, it was a pretty poor batting display, wasn't it?

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
I felt sorry for Kumble in that last innings. To survive for so long and see 3 of his teammates dismissed in the space of 5 balls..I can't imagine how that would feel.

howardj

International Coach
Does anyone else feel like me? Ever since Australia "won" the second match due to Bucknor's and Benson's heroics, I cannot really take this series seriously anymore. The outcome of the match was entirely dictated by factors other than cricket but the score line does not tell the story. So how can this be taken seriously anymore? Is this not a sham?
Mate I feel like I did after the 2nd Test against the Poms in 2006/07 - that, after losing the unlosable game, the whole stuffing has been knocked out of what otherwise may have been a very competitive series.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Well you can't say the series has been ruined due to a few bad umpiring blunders. The best situation for India now is a 2-2 series draw which would be very possible looking at their effort in the second test.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Suppose it depends whether you're the kind of fan, or team, who when something goes against you and leads to a disappointment, drops their bundle completely and gives up and just goes through the motions/goes home, or whether you're the sort in whom adversity/injustice brings out the competitive fire in you and makes you more determined than before to win next time. I think Kumble and I suspect most of the Indian team are the latter, so I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the series.

It's a shame Zaheer Khan isn't fit. There must be some kind of curse upon leading quicks touring Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mate I feel like I did after the 2nd Test against the Poms in 2006/07 - that, after losing the unlosable game, the whole stuffing has been knocked out of what otherwise may have been a very competitive series.
I remember you strongly arguing that point, and its so true.

I distinctly remember talking to my mates following the Adelaide Ashes test and saying "Man, if I were an English fan tonight, I'd be absolutely shattered. I don't think I'd recover for the rest of the series."

It was definitely a similar feeling I imagine to what Indian fans felt after Sydney, however I think despite the Strauss dismissal, England brought it on themselves (Bell run out, Pietersen being bowled around his legs a day or two after saying he'd never get bowled around his legs etc.). India were no doubt poor on day 5, but umpiring was a bigger factor, and hence makes the case of this series being fairly meh now even more frustrating.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jono,
Do you reckon India can pick themselves up for Perth? The wicket looks really fast and bouncy this time around. They'll need to be seriously on their games or it could be a three dayer.

Also, will India play Harbhajan if the pitch is as quick as it looks like being? Dunno if two spinners is the way to go.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Australia has a far better pace attack than India, so it will be a genuine challenge for the Indians to overcome Lee, Johnson, Clark and Tait (if Tait plays).

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jono,
Do you reckon India can pick themselves up for Perth? The wicket looks really fast and bouncy this time around. They'll need to be seriously on their games or it could be a three dayer.

Also, will India play Harbhajan if the pitch is as quick as it looks like being? Dunno if two spinners is the way to go.
But Bhajji is a much much better bowler than VRV Singh.

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well you can't say the series has been ruined due to a few bad umpiring blunders. The best situation for India now is a 2-2 series draw which would be very possible looking at their effort in the second test.

You're dreaming. The Indians had to win the test in Sydney and they knew it and were ripped off by the umpires. That's why when they knew they couldn't win it they weren't bothered saving it.

Anyone that knows cricket knows the Indians are going to be destroyed at the WACA ground. Bar a miracle of rain, the result is a foregone conclusion.

burr

State Vice-Captain
So sick of all this off field stuff. Can't wait for the WACA test. Very excited about it being fast and bouncy like the old days. Surely Aus has to play Tait. If they don't I'll be too dissapointed for words.

burr

State Vice-Captain
No, I don't feel like that at all. You just have to accept what happened and move on. Umpires make mistakes, life goes on. For me at least there's plenty to look forward to.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Jono,

I bet on this. They will definetly play with him. They look as its an opportunity for Bhajji to take wickets as there were lot many stories going about him off field. I feel he needs to be played

burr

State Vice-Captain
Two spinners on a WACA wicket supposedly v. fast is insane imo. Still, Vettori always did well at the WACA from memory.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Vettori is different though, he uses change of pace and drift to his advantage when playing at the WACA, but I completely agree with the fact that two spinners on the WACA pitch would be a horrible choice. India should pick a four-man pace attack plus Kumble. Drop Harbhajan and bring in Sehwag for Jaffer as a part-time option (and an opening batter of course!). Pathan could also be a handy option as he generates good swing on fast pitches.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Vettori is different though, he uses change of pace and drift to his advantage when playing at the WACA, but I completely agree with the fact that two spinners on the WACA pitch would be a horrible choice. India should pick a four-man pace attack plus Kumble. Drop Harbhajan and bring in Sehwag for Jaffer as a part-time option (and an opening batter of course!). Pathan could also be a handy option as he generates good swing on fast pitches.
This is a good ploy! You are damn right!

But I bet that India will not do this. They will surely play with Harbhajan & Kumble

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A friend of mine's father is travelling with the Indian side as the doctor, and there is supposedly some pressure that if Harbhajan is available to play then he has to, to prove a point somewhat.