• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I recall about four weeks before his famous post-Sydney 07 "spirit of cricket" remarks, Anil Kumble abusing the living **** out of Md Yousuf in a test match and celebrating vociferously when it led to his dismissal. Plainly this was the fault of the sledging culture in Australian cricket.

of course it is.. if it was invented in India, it would be called Gaaliyan.. much like the doosra :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Whats the verdict on Johnson. Looks like he needs a little rest. Pace is down. Dont reckon he has bowled that badly. In recent series every gloves bouncer would go to hand while now they seem to be just landing perfectly Safety. Not too worried but he might need a break soon, atleast for his bung finger

He has been playing non stop a bit, hasn't he? He was there for the IPL and did he miss the Champions League or played in that too?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah and you know what is really unfair. Those umpiring decisions going against India. Only if there Was a system...

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's crazy to think that Ishant Sharma is just 26. He'll end up with 300+ wickets at an average close to 40. Incredible.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Loved what Kohli said after the game. It's got Gotspin bitching about which is a bonus.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Not bothered about Virat and Mitch moaning at each other, but if I was Indian, I'd be a little pissed of at the below line. India would have won at least one test here, if the lower order have any sort of clue. Heck, surely he must have been pissed off and concerned in the first test when wickets were falling, and he knew that in Shami, Ishant, Aaron and Karn the number 8, it was all up on him to win the test?

At the suggestion India might have done something similar to Johnson - fire him up into a match-winning performance - in Brisbane, Kohli said: "There he was batting, and there was no pressure on him as a batsman. That's not his job. His job is to take wickets and he was going at 4.7 an over today

dognutz

U19 12th Man
Not bothered about Virat and Mitch moaning at each other, but if I was Indian, I'd be a little pissed of at the below line. India would have won at least one test here, if the lower order have any sort of clue. Heck, surely he must have been pissed off and concerned in the first test when wickets were falling, and he knew that in Shami, Ishant, Aaron and Karn the number 8, it was all up on him to win the test?
interesting - he doesn't seem to respect the role of the tail and the need to make runs past number 6-7. So it's fair to assume there's probably not a lot of emphasis placed on batting practice for tailenders which is reflected in their performances. I read today that Rhino puts more time into batting than any batsman in the team. For a guy who bowls his heart out, he still values his wicket highly. Now THERE'S a lesson for Mr. Kohli

Niall

International Coach
interesting - he doesn't seem to respect the role of the tail and the need to make runs past number 6-7. So it's fair to assume there's probably not a lot of emphasis placed on batting practice for tailenders which is reflected in their performances. I read today that Rhino puts more time into batting than any batsman in the team. For a guy who bowls his heart out, he still values his wicket highly. Now THERE'S a lesson for Mr. Kohli
Its crazy to have such a dismissive attitude towards the importance of the tail isn't it?

Everyone will remember the first test as it only happened a few weeks ago and it was cracking how the tail let them down. I decided to have a quick look at some of the tests they blew in the last year.

The first test in NZ where they fell 40 short.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/667651.html

NZ lower order hung around in the first innings to get them to 500. India's lower order didn't do anything, Khan slogged a few in the chase, but he looked like he could be out any ball. He is someone who clearly gave up on his batting a long time ago.

2nd Test-- India v South Africa
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-india-2013-14/engine/match/648667.html

India started well, but after been 265/5 collapsed to 334 all out. Robin Pieterson for South Africa was vital in getting South Africa to a match winning 500.

Their is loads of examples over the last few years where the tail has had to make a contribution. Its not ideal obviously, but unless your bowling can rip through sides, they need to be able to bat a little.

Last edited:

anil1405

International Captain
No point talking about Indian tail. They just don't want to apply themselves when at the crease with a willow in hand. Its not just a matter of losing but giving up so easily when the game is 50-50.

I doubt if anyone seriously cares about having a crack in the nets. Once Bhuvaneshwar is back that should strengthen the tail though. Ashwin and Bhuvi makes for a good 8 & 9 combo.

dognutz

U19 12th Man
Yeah, it used to be an 'acceptable' attitude in yesteryear but not any more. When you consider bat technology these days and the fact that you don't really need to find the sweet spot to get it away, there's no excuse for a lower order batsman not backing himself in for a handy 20-30. Imagine if each tailender chimed in with just 25 a piece and the keeper, say 40. Throw in a few extras and you've got 150 every time
Also serves to give the bowlers more confidence not to mention a bigger target to bowl at! So it's in their own interests to fire with the bat as well as the team's

More runs = bigger target = more aggressive field placings = more confident bowling = more chance of wickets.......not bloody rocket science is it?

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sure he cares about that, but really who goes to a press conference after hitting 150 and being on a downer?

Anyway, Kohli is definitely an ego player, maybe not quite as much as KP but he clearly loves being 'the main man'.
Actually, quite a few players have/ would have been on a downer getting out late despite making 150.

Ask mentioned when I originally raised it, I don't think it's conscious hing on his part, more a lack of maturity. It's like he's made his point, caned some blokes and then if he gets out, then Ho Hum. See a bit of it in Warner too.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No it doesn't.

I particularly liked his point about Australia not being competitive during their last series in India and forgetting to sledge during those 4 tests. :D He also makes a point about how India is more competitive here than Australia during their tour.
What does that have to do with anything?

This guy is such a knob. Again, sounds like a slighted teenage girl talking about her ex bf. "blah blah blah I don't care what he does exclept now I'm going to spend the next 5 mins talking about it".

It's not confidence or arrogance or ****iness. It's insecurity and false bravado. Absolute baby.