• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I actually don't mind watching Cook or Strauss bat there's a certain elegance about both, Trott is horrid though, rather see Tavare out there.

hazsa19

International Regular
I actually don't mind watching Cook or Strauss bat there's a certain elegance about both, Trott is horrid though, rather see Tavare out there.
When Strauss first emerged, those series against NZ, SA, and Australia in 05, he was great to watch. He cut and pulled anything remotely short, he beautifully flicked anything straight in front of square on the legside, and he played the occasional drive. Then he went through a slump and he's pretty ugly to watch now tbh.

Cook I really don't like watching. He looks ungainly, even his straight drives don't look classical.

Still I would rather have him than Vaughan.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When Strauss first emerged, those series against NZ, SA, and Australia in 05, he was great to watch. He cut and pulled anything remotely short, he beautifully flicked anything straight in front of square on the legside, and he played the occasional drive. Then he went through a slump and he's pretty ugly to watch now tbh.

Cook I really don't like watching. He looks ungainly, even his straight drives don't look classical.

Still I would rather have him than Vaughan.
I said I didn't mind watching 'em, I'd not wax lyrical about either, I do have to say. Actually the left-hander thing seems to be rather old-fashioned, there are so many ugly ones now, Hayden was just horrible and Smith just behind him, agricultural bullies, and Chanders is admirable, but not pretty. For England Tresco and Thorpe will never be compared to Sobers, Harvey, Lara and Gower, TBH.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
No I don't think he does. He's got some, of course. But I don't think he knows how he did it.

of course, my angry at hilf's selection has little to do with the man himself. i'm sure he's a good man, tasmanian and all. but i just find it infuriating that a person who performed so badly, so utterly terrible, during the ashes and has hardly done anything since (was that 5 wicket haul featuring 4 victorians who usually bat 7 to 11 really that impressive?) can come back. Now I know you're gonna point out all the injures, but we all knew the dropping of Hilf was a reluctant one. The guy still got ****ing picked for the 5th Ashes test for heaven's sake. Did we cut the CA contract? Nope. We sent him to the Aus A tour where he was in a battle with Copeland and Siddle instead! And where of course he utterly terrible. Was that the last straw, at least in the short term? Of course not! He got picked for Aus A against NZ where even Starc outperformed him. He was so so so bad during the ashes. It may have actually been the worst series performance by an Australian bowler in an Ashes series, keeping in mind this was over 4 tests. So many flaws got shown up; the lack of threat posed by him of course being at the forefront. So after 6 ****ing FC games, at an average of over 30, where his two best bowling performances have featured cleaning up the tail, he's fixed them? I'm deadly serious when I say give me Josh ****ing Lalor instead. Are we gonna pick Hughes asap if he scores two 50's in his Shield games at the end of the season and claims his bad form was because his pet Dog Buster died?

But hey good luck on boxing day buddy. Given you average 65 at the MCG you'll need it
Haha, right or wrong, I enjoyed this a lot.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Watching a feature on controversial moments in India-Australia cricket. Boy, that Sydney test is the worst cricketing nightmare of my life. Still feel so sad watching the events that unfolded!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Top rant. Seems to ignore that perhaps he was selected on his T20 performances, which could surely drive any Australian fan to spontaneous combustion.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Said it at the time too but I thought Hilf actually bowled highly unpenetratingly in India too.

Did not know why he was being appreciated back then.

Would've played Starc over him.

Cricket Spectator
Strauss - the backbone of english cricket for me, not the most naturally gifted but on his day his leg glances and cover drives are a gem to watch

cant say the same for cook, IMO one of the most ovverated players you'll see, prown to swing and especially inswing getting him out via LBW!

though despite this, i still maintain hes the only player of current to even come close to breaking sachins record of most test runs out of current cricketers under 30!

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, same. I don't even really agree, and I was probably the biggest Hilfenhaus sceptic when people considered him 'good', but it was a gun rant.
Yeah I've always been rather skeptical of Hilfy, and I can see he >>>>>>> Starc.

Agreed that the rant was awesome.

Top_Cat

I'd be careful about wishing too much for bowler-friendly conditions on Day 1. Clarke is absolutely dreadful at winning tosses - had no luck at all in that regard.
Not to mention, last time India faced a green-top here, Zaheer took 6 and Ganguly scored a ton. A green-top != automatic Indian fail.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
no i don't think he does. He's got some, of course. But i don't think he knows how he did it.

Of course, my angry at hilf's selection has little to do with the man himself. I'm sure he's a good man, tasmanian and all. But i just find it infuriating that a person who performed so badly, so utterly terrible, during the ashes and has hardly done anything since (was that 5 wicket haul featuring 4 victorians who usually bat 7 to 11 really that impressive?) can come back. Now i know you're gonna point out all the injures, but we all knew the dropping of hilf was a reluctant one. The guy still got ****ing picked for the 5th ashes test for heaven's sake. Did we cut the ca contract? Nope. We sent him to the aus a tour where he was in a battle with copeland and siddle instead! And where of course he utterly terrible. Was that the last straw, at least in the short term? Of course not! He got picked for aus a against nz where even starc outperformed him. He was so so so bad during the ashes. It may have actually been the worst series performance by an australian bowler in an ashes series, keeping in mind this was over 4 tests. So many flaws got shown up; the lack of threat posed by him of course being at the forefront. So after 6 ****ing fc games, at an average of over 30, where his two best bowling performances have featured cleaning up the tail, he's fixed them? I'm deadly serious when i say give me josh ****ing lalor instead. Are we gonna pick hughes asap if he scores two 50's in his shield games at the end of the season and claims his bad form was because his pet dog buster died?

But hey good luck on boxing day buddy. Given you average 65 at the mcg you'll need it
Wow!

Burgey

Watching a feature on controversial moments in India-Australia cricket. Boy, that Sydney test is the worst cricketing nightmare of my life. Still feel so sad watching the events that unfolded!
Now you know how we felt getting slaughtered by the umpires in 01.

Hope India loses at least one test here owing to what would have been an eminently reviewable decision.

Merry Christmas.