• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cmon though, I would have picked 3 or so bowlers over Hilf, but surely you think he is a better alternative than Starc?
i dunno know. i'm quietly confident no-one in the india team bar maybe sehwag, who'd probably be on 80 off 45 balls at this stage, is dumb enough to play at those wide harmeless outswingers. whereas starc could at least grab one or two wickets with trash balls because his trash balls actually make the batsman want to smash them.

well MS too.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think the main thing though is that the third bowler has to be minimising runs. Starc might pick up a wicket or two with junk balls, but he could also go for >4 an over while doing so. There is no denying, in either case this attack is going to be heavily reliant on Pattinson and Siddle, and I'd prefer the third bowler to at least be containing the batsmen to some extent, even if it is just the usual innocuous stuff that Hilf bowls. Also hoping Hilf might actually bowl better lines and actually pick up some wickets, that would be quite helpful...

Btw does anyone know if the India 11/12 has been named yet?

Spark

Global Moderator
haha spikey i know hilf isn't the best bowler but i think you're being ridiculously harsh here. he actually knows how to take test match wickets.

starc is yet to take a wicket with a half-decent delivery.

Spikey

haha spikey i know hilf isn't the best bowler but i think you're being ridiculously harsh here. he actually knows how to take test match wickets.

starc is yet to take a wicket with a half-decent delivery.
No I don't think he does. He's got some, of course. But I don't think he knows how he did it.

of course, my angry at hilf's selection has little to do with the man himself. i'm sure he's a good man, tasmanian and all. but i just find it infuriating that a person who performed so badly, so utterly terrible, during the ashes and has hardly done anything since (was that 5 wicket haul featuring 4 victorians who usually bat 7 to 11 really that impressive?) can come back. Now I know you're gonna point out all the injures, but we all knew the dropping of Hilf was a reluctant one. The guy still got ****ing picked for the 5th Ashes test for heaven's sake. Did we cut the CA contract? Nope. We sent him to the Aus A tour where he was in a battle with Copeland and Siddle instead! And where of course he utterly terrible. Was that the last straw, at least in the short term? Of course not! He got picked for Aus A against NZ where even Starc outperformed him. He was so so so bad during the ashes. It may have actually been the worst series performance by an Australian bowler in an Ashes series, keeping in mind this was over 4 tests. So many flaws got shown up; the lack of threat posed by him of course being at the forefront. So after 6 ****ing FC games, at an average of over 30, where his two best bowling performances have featured cleaning up the tail, he's fixed them? I'm deadly serious when I say give me Josh ****ing Lalor instead. Are we gonna pick Hughes asap if he scores two 50's in his Shield games at the end of the season and claims his bad form was because his pet Dog Buster died?

But hey good luck on boxing day buddy. Given you average 65 at the MCG you'll need it

Last edited:

fedexrafa1

Cricket Spectator
Best XI I would pick if all fit and will stick with them for atleast next 10 tests i.e. untill next summer

Warner
Cowan
Marsh
Clarke
Watson
Khwaja
Wade
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Harris/Siddle/Starc/Hilfy (in this order)

12th man : Christian

Spikey

what if cowan makes 6 pairs in a row over those test matches

No I don't think he does. He's got some, of course. But I don't think he knows how he did it.

of course, my angry at hilf's selection has little to do with the man himself. i'm sure he's a good man, tasmanian and all. but i just find it infuriating that a person who performed so badly, so utterly terrible, during the ashes and has hardly done anything since (was that 5 wicket haul featuring 4 victorians who usually bat 7 to 11 really that impressive?) can come back. Now I know you're gonna point out all the injures, but we all knew the dropping of Hilf was a reluctant one. The guy still got ****ing picked for the 5th Ashes test for heaven's sake. Did we cut the CA contract? Nope. We sent him to the Aus A tour where he was in a battle with Copeland and Siddle instead! And where of course he utterly terrible. Was that the last straw, at least in the short term? Of course not! He got picked for Aus A against NZ where even Starc outperformed him. He was so so so bad during the ashes. It may have actually been the worst Ashes performance by an Australian bowler, keeping in mind this was over 4 tests. So many flaws got shown up; the lack of threat posed by him of course being at the forefront. So after 6 ****ing FC games, at an average of over 30, where his two best bowling performances have featured cleaning up the tail, he's fixed them? I'm deadly serious when I say give me Josh ****ing Lalor instead. Are we gonna pick Hughes asap if he scores two 50's in his Shield games at the end of the season and claims his bad form was because his pet Dog Buster died?

But hey good luck on boxing day buddy. Given you average 65 at the MCG you'll need it

Spikey

i'm not quite sure what came over me. i must admit.

ho nomo

ftr phil hughes was badly affected by the death of buster

Last edited:

hazsa19

International Regular

of course, my angry at hilf's selection has little to do with the man himself. i'm sure he's a good man, tasmanian and all. but i just find it infuriating that a person who performed so badly, so utterly terrible, during the ashes and has hardly done anything since (was that 5 wicket haul featuring 4 victorians who usually bat 7 to 11 really that impressive?) can come back. Now I know you're gonna point out all the injures, but we all knew the dropping of Hilf was a reluctant one. The guy still got ****ing picked for the 5th Ashes test for heaven's sake. Did we cut the CA contract? Nope. We sent him to the Aus A tour where he was in a battle with Copeland and Siddle instead! And where of course he utterly terrible. Was that the last straw, at least in the short term? Of course not! He got picked for Aus A against NZ where even Starc outperformed him. He was so so so bad during the ashes. It may have actually been the worst series performance by an Australian bowler in an Ashes series, keeping in mind this was over 4 tests. So many flaws got shown up; the lack of threat posed by him of course being at the forefront. So after 6 ****ing FC games, at an average of over 30, where his two best bowling performances have featured cleaning up the tail, he's fixed them? I'm deadly serious when I say give me Josh ****ing Lalor instead. Are we gonna pick Hughes asap if he scores two 50's in his Shield games at the end of the season and claims his bad form was because his pet Dog Buster died?

Bravo

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

:notworthy

WAG

Ruckus

International Captain
Whatever happens with Hilfenhaus, it's pretty damn unlikely he will be in the team for very long periods. Cummins, Harris, Siddle, Pattinson will all be given preference if they are fit. So he is essentially a back up bowler, which I don't really mind that much - at his worst he is basically totally innocuous, but at least he doesn't leak runs too badly, and now we have some good strike bowlers coming through (unlike Johnson) that problem shouldn't impact the team as much as it has before. Hopefully, as well, some other young bowlers like Hazlewood will really start knocking on the selection door and will ultimately replace Hilf as the preferential backup option.

Spark

Global Moderator
The Phil Hughes comparison would only stick if Warner, Cowan, Katich, Khawaja, Marsh, Watson all got injured at once though.