• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Tomas

Cricket Spectator
Sydney is a green pitch these days as well and with the rain they have had in Sydney looks like India are going to get rolled over there as well.:)

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like the look of this kid Yadav, looks like India can build a decent pace battery around him, hopefully he does not go back to India and get run down on those flat tracks that offer nothing. India really need to look at making pitches like the MCG, Perth, Wanderers etc, but don't think that will hapoen.

Is that you, Les Burdett?

Loves his turf talk.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He can improve, and he's not utter rubbish as you make him out to be. Yuvraj, Kohli, Sharma and the others are just as much, but the team is actively promoting them. He's a good batsman leashed by that position, which is how he's made so many runs. If he took more responsibility with the bat, he'd average over 40 with ten centuries. India, on the other hand, are trying to make full batsmen out of Yuvraj, Kohli and all the others.
If you really think that Dhoni is a better batsman in the longer version of the game than Sharma, Kohli (or Rahane, Pujara and even Badrinath, Tiwary) then I'm sorry I can't have an argument with you.

He's comparable to Wriddhiman Saha or Ravichandran Ashwin as a batsman in a 5-day game ATM. He can become better than that if he works hard on his game, obviously.

Last edited:

Tomas

Cricket Spectator
Question why wasn't this kid Rohit Sharma picked for this test? Indians have been hyping up these so called young stars, but by the evidence with Kholi they don;t seem to be much chop. What is this Rohit Sharma kid like? Hopefully he is a lot better than Kholi at playing on bouncy, swinging pitches.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I reckon Sharma would have been the best choice for No.6 for the first test too but Kohli should have been picked anyway. Now I reckon Sharma should come in for the second test. Ideally, I'd want Vinay to come in for Sharma as well but it won't happen.

Agree with weldone regarding Dhoni's abilities as a test match bat.

benchmark00

Question why wasn't this kid Rohit Sharma picked for this test? Indians have been hyping up these so called young stars, but by the evidence with Kholi they don;t seem to be much chop. What is this Rohit Sharma kid like? Hopefully he is a lot better than Kholi at playing on bouncy, swinging pitches.
Been playing international cricket for about 5 years. Surely you've seen him play...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was a very interesting little rant Geoff Lawson had re: bowlers bouncing tail-enders on ABC towards the end of the match this afternoon. Geoff doesn't seem to like Steve Waugh very much...he also seems to have forgotten, while he was blaming Waugh for coming up with the idea of bouncing tail-enders, that Curtley Ambrose broke his jaw. From what I recall, Waugh decided in '95 (or was in McDermott in an earlier series?) that Australia weren't going to sit back and have the **** bounced out of them while they were batting and then politely follow the fast-bowlers code of not bowling bouncers at each other when the Windies batted. So they returned fire.

Can't see a problem with it myself. Sure, you don't want to overdo it. But if a tail-ender has decided he wants to hang around and make a nuisance of himself then he should expect to cop a few around the ears to test exactly how keen he is to occupy the crease.

Seemed like Geoff has a bit of a problem with SWaugh.

benchmark00

Was a very interesting little rant Geoff Lawson had re: bowlers bouncing tail-enders on ABC towards the end of the match this afternoon. Geoff doesn't seem to like Steve Waugh very much...he also seems to have forgotten, while he was blaming Waugh for coming up with the idea of bouncing tail-enders, that Curtley Ambrose broke his jaw. From what I recall, Waugh decided in '95 (or was in McDermott in an earlier series?) that Australia weren't going to sit back and have the **** bounced out of them while they were batting and then politely follow the fast-bowlers code of not bowling bouncers at each other when the Windies batted. So they returned fire.

Can't see a problem with it myself. Sure, you don't want to overdo it. But if a tail-ender has decided he wants to hang around and make a nuisance of himself then he should expect to cop a few around the ears to test exactly how keen he is to occupy the crease.

Seemed like Geoff has a bit of a problem with SWaugh.
Have a cry Lawson, what a girl. It's test cricket. Should we telling fast bowlers they're only allowed to come off a short run to tail enders because they're too fast?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don't mind bouncing tailenders, however it was overkill from the moment Khan strode to the wicket. Hilfenhaus and Pattinson attempted to hit him from ball one, you should only do that if he has shown the ability to stick around for 20-30 deliveries.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't mind bouncing tailenders, however it was overkill from the moment Khan strode to the wicket. Hilfenhaus and Pattinson attempted to hit him from ball one, you should only do that if he has shown the ability to stick around for 20-30 deliveries.
Hmm, the guy has three Test half-centuries. He's not a rabbit, and obviously there were some, er, other reasons behind the bouncing.

It's not like they're bouncing Chris Martin, or Shehzad trying to sniff Peter George last year, looking like a right knob.

Tomas

Cricket Spectator
Rohit Sharma has been playing International cricket for 5 years? Really? Should have played at least 25 test by now then. Or maybe over 100 ODI's?

benchmark00

Hmm, the guy has three Test half-centuries. He's not a rabbit, and obviously there were some, er, other reasons behind the bouncing.

It's not like they're bouncing Chris Martin, or Shehzad trying to sniff Peter George last year, looking like a right knob.
Yeah Khan is handy, has hurt Australia before with the bat.

I mean what's next? If the captain brings on a batsman to have a bowl they have a gentleman's agreement not to hit him for six?

Batsmen have so much padding these days that you really don't have an excuse for being scared out there.

Redbacks

International Captain
Lawson could land in a pot of gold and still find something to whinge about. He's too negative which is why he is stuck on the ABC despite being a reasonable commentator otherwise.

Just recently he was bleating over Ponting and Hughes so hard that it clearly broke the 'past player' bond you would expect from another test player (boycs like). Chapelli tells us if he thinks a guy is crap, but comes at it with constructive criticism hence not everyone thinks he is a ****, although some do.

You bounce a tail ender to see if they have the ticker to come onto the front foot next ball, plain and simple. Obv. a useless tactic against Siddle.

Son Of Coco

Yeah exactly. It's a fine line when you're bowling to tail-enders between getting stuck into them verbally and with the ball as you know you'll cop it when you come in to bat. If you cop a few in return then you should be fully aware how you got yourself into that position in the first place.

Sledging people who are going to be bowling at you about 10 mins after they get out isn't that smart. Especially if you aren't Tendulkar-like with the willow.

Son Of Coco

Yeah Khan is handy, has hurt Australia before with the bat.

I mean what's next? If the captain brings on a batsman to have a bowl they have a gentleman's agreement not to hit him for six?

Batsmen have so much padding these days that you really don't have an excuse for being scared out there.
Yeah, it was a ridiculous argument from Lawson. Fast bowlers bowl fast...if a batsman doesn't want to take that as it comes then he shouldn't leave the pavilion.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't see the spell against Zaheer did it constitute intimidatory bowling as defined under the laws of cricket.