• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Ever remember the George Dockrell hype for England ? I actually really liked him. Weird how things went at Somerset.

One of the great things about Afghanistan and Ireland has been that they are actually producing cricketers born and bred.

Much of Zimbabwe's problems going forward will be their domestic system being a piece of **** and a lot of their talented players not even based in the country because producing their own wasn't a problem.

Ireland and Afghanistan have the opportunity to push forward but I do hear your point about Ireland. At least with Afghanistan we've now seen their future shine in an u19 WC this year.

Ireland u19 squad 2018

Harry Tector (19) - Named their World Cup star by the ICC (Munster Reds)
Neil Rock
Jamie Grassi (20) (Munster Reds)
Morgan Topping (Northern Knights)
Jonathan Garth
Joshua Little (19) - debuted for Ireland already (Leinster)
Aaron Cawley (19) (Munster Reds)
Max Neville (18) (Munster Reds)
Graham Kennedy (19) (North West)

Ireland u19 WC squad 2016
No one from this WC is in the Current Irish squad when you should see 1 or 2. Although H.Tector and Little were there before 2018.

You look at their core players

William Porterfield (34) - Signed for Glucestershire when 24
Paul Stirling (28) - Signed for Middlesex when 20
Ed Joyce (40) - Signed for Middlesex when 21
Niall O'Brien (37) - Signed for Kent when 23
Kevin O'Brien (34) - Signed for Notts when 25
Gary Wilson (32) - Signed for Surrey when 22
Boyd Rankin (34) - Signed for Derbyshire when 22
*Eoin Morgan (32) - Signed for Middlesex when 20
** Not including the nearly 40 Tim Murtagh
These guys played under Trent Johnston

The Rest ? - Not exactly inspiring.

Andre Balbirnie (28) - Signed for Middlesex when 21
Simi Singh (31)
Andy McBrine (25)
Barry McCarthy (26) - Signed for Durham when 24

Peter Chase (25) - Been signed and released by Durham
George Dockrell (26) - Signed by Somerset when 18 but been released in 2015
James Shannon (28)
The worry is the bit you mention after their ages. Are we going to see as many county sides signing Irish players now there's a local FC comp and a (relatively) busy FTP coming up. I couldn't imagine Joyce or the O'Briens being at international standard off the back of a couple of inter provincials per season.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Amazed that Ireland failed considering a fair few play in county cricket. sorry to see them and their fans not in the wc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England has at least 3 openers better than him. However, he can walk into the Sri Lanka team if he wants (and so can Coetzer).

****, Brendan Taylor is probably better than any SL ODI batsman right now.
There's no way Stirling is playing for England. He's had 10 years of international cricket and has a record about par for a good Associate bat.

Ireland need to do what Scotland did when they got booted from the English domestic comp a few years back and invest heavily in youth. It's really starting to show. Some more A tours like the one to Bangladesh last year would be a good start.
Right, but there's a difference between him considering England and considering "England". The rumour isn't that he's going to walk into the LO sides or even thinks he's any sort of decent chance down the line, but that given the new ICC rules would make him ineligible for England if he kept playing for Ireland, and given being eligible even when not really in the frame at all gets counties financial bonuses for selecting him, he might just retire from international cricket to focus on county stuff.

I still find it a bit of an odd rumour now that they're a full member though. It would've made more sense if the rule change came in but the Test status didn't -- this is what happened to Josh Davey of Scotland, for example. But as it stands he'll be able to play Test cricket, play significantly more ODIs than he has previously due to the new ODI league, and presumably get a fair pay increase just for playing on with Ireland, so it doesn't really add up to me.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ever remember the George Dockrell hype for England ? I actually really liked him. Weird how things went at Somerset.

One of the great things about Afghanistan and Ireland has been that they are actually producing cricketers born and bred.

Much of Zimbabwe's problems going forward will be their domestic system being a piece of **** and a lot of their talented players not even based in the country because producing their own wasn't a problem.

Ireland and Afghanistan have the opportunity to push forward but I do hear your point about Ireland. At least with Afghanistan we've now seen their future shine in an u19 WC this year.

Ireland u19 squad 2018 (Where will these guys be ?)

Harry Tector (19) - Named their World Cup star by the ICC (Munster Reds)
Neil Rock
Jamie Grassi (20) (Munster Reds)
Morgan Topping (Northern Knights)
Jonathan Garth
Joshua Little (19) - debuted for Ireland already (Leinster)
Aaron Cawley (19) (Munster Reds)
Max Neville (18) (Munster Reds)
Graham Kennedy (19) (North West)

Ireland u19 WC squad 2016
No one from this WC is in the Current Irish squad when you should see 1 or 2. Although H.Tector and Little were here before 2018.

You look at their senior core players

William Porterfield (34) - Signed for Gloucestershire when 24
Ed Joyce (40) - Signed for Middlesex when 21
Niall O'Brien (37) - Signed for Kent when 23
Kevin O'Brien (34) - Signed for Notts when 25
Gary Wilson (32) - Signed for Surrey when 22
Boyd Rankin (34) - Signed for Derbyshire when 22
*Eoin Morgan (32) - Signed for Middlesex when 20
** Not including the nearly 40 Tim Murtagh
These guys played under Trent Johnston

The Rest ? - Not exactly inspiring apart from the two Weldone mentioned.

Paul Stirling (28) - Signed for Middlesex when 20
Andrew Balbirnie (28) - Signed for Middlesex when 21
Simi Singh (31)
Andy McBrine (25)
Barry McCarthy (26) - Signed for Durham when 24

Peter Chase (25) - Been signed and released by Durham
George Dockrell (26) - Signed by Somerset when 18 but been released in 2015
James Shannon (28)
Stuart Poynter (27) is in an interesting place at the moment too. Durham seem more keen on selecting him than Ireland do right now, which is a bit of a unique situation.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Hilarious seeing people saying windies were lucky. I did not want them to qualify, they deserved to make it through though, the best team here with 8 points.
Afganistan deserved it too with their never say die attitude. Scotland weren't good enough this time despite a good effort and zimbabwe had no excuses playing at home- a epic choke vs uae.

Rest of the teams really have no business being near a world cup at this stage .

Enjoyable tournament. What wc qualifiers should be like.

Also few people were talking about having 20 teams cause the rugby world cup does. Lol ffs. Completely different. In rugby its great to watch a 80 point thrashing with great moves displayed by All Blacks, Aussie , sa etc. In cricket, one sided matches are boring and take away from the tournament. 12 or 14 teams is doable. However the everyone vs everyone format of 2019 has me really excited.

cnerd123

likes this
How great is it that CW has a former Associate Cricket nation CEO, legit Associate cricket fans, and a robot like PEWS on the forums.

Camo999

State 12th Man
All the teams put on a great show but as a Scotland fan I can't help but feel absolute devastation for this team. Ire and Zim have permanent status and test matches etc to look forward to. Ned enter the 13 team ODI league. We have built a fantastic team, now in their prime but we have virtually no tournaments or fixtures to look towards. The likes of Mommsen, Taylor etc have already retired. I would not be surprised to see more players leave now.

Missing the WC is disappointing but we get so few opportunities to play against high profile teams, I'm more disappointed that the result of the actual game against the Windies goes down as a loss. The D/L came up with us behind which seems crazy - we were far better placed than the Windies to win that match and I'm almost certain we would have done so.

Ultimately this was less a WC qualifier, more a chance for associates to lose hard earned ODI status and funding. HK losing ODI status about a week after beating a full member says it all.

Surely tv and internet rights for tournaments featuring the likes of Sco, Ire, Afg, Nepal, Ned, Zim etc must be worth something. There must be a way to get some sustainable fixtures happening.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now Ireland are a test nation I wonder if they will go down the Jack Charlton route and see who else qualifies from county cricket via relatives and maybe a few more may jump on board seeing as they can now play test cricket as well as the shorter versions. I am sure there will be a few available who haven't yet been picked.

cnerd123

likes this
Now Ireland are a test nation I wonder if they will go down the Jack Charlton route and see who else qualifies from county cricket via relatives and maybe a few more may jump on board seeing as they can now play test cricket as well as the shorter versions. I am sure there will be a few available who haven't yet been picked.
It will also be interestig if they can lure some professional cricketers in their 20s to settle in Ireland and gain qualification to play for them in 4 years. Maybe even poach some U19s from nations like Zimbabwe or the other European nations

SeamUp

International Coach
The worry is the bit you mention after their ages. Are we going to see as many county sides signing Irish players now there's a local FC comp and a (relatively) busy FTP coming up. I couldn't imagine Joyce or the O'Briens being at international standard off the back of a couple of inter provincials per season.
That is the concern isn't it ? Nothing really emerging. I read earlier you haven't been able to keep a close check of late but you got to hope 2/3 from the last u19 WC can get county moves.

How do we see the domestic comp shaping up ? To strengthen it , you might have to get some non-Irish qualifiers but that is normal and shouldn't be a problem.

I remember Obus Pienaar doing really well there a few years ago.

Stuart Poynter (27) is in an interesting place at the moment too. Durham seem more keen on selecting him than Ireland do right now, which is a bit of a unique situation.
You think he has a chance to improve on his initial stint PEWS ? Guess you got to be looking at these sorts and maybe some English-Irish qualifiers.

Saw he was part of the A squad to Bangladesh. Balbirnie, Singh, Chase, McBrine, McCarthy, Shannon, Dockrell were all there too. Basically those without County contracts. So that is 8 players.

Others :

Stuart Thompson (27) opening bat
John Anderson (36) #4 bat (A original Saffer)
Sean Terry (27) #5 bat (son of former England international Paul)
Jacob Mulder (23) a leg-break bowler born in Perth (Scotland or Australia)
Craig Young (28) A seamer

Jack Tector (22) opening batsmen from the 2016 u19 CWC whose brother was a stand-out in 2018
Nathan Smith (23) opening bowler

Maybe get NSW's Nick Larkin back :p

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What does any of that have to do with Sky Sports Mix?
Wanting the non-HD version of something available in HD, in 2018, is pleb-tier.

I was just joking, and it was a lame joke to begin with, but it's well and truly dead and burried now. Thanks. :p