• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

SeamUp

International Coach
The emotions because of the need to win has added more to this tournament ?

It's been fantastic.

Niall

International Coach
Lot of Irish players wrong side of 30 sadly, so many of those who played today were there when Ireland beat Pakistan in 2007. There will need to be a review of the performances here especially today where they seemed to be no sort of plan whatsoever.

I do fear looking at the ages of the players and how irrelevant the sport is in Ireland was the last few years the pinnacle of Irish cricket, will they in a few years time be as irrelevant as Kenya?

A few tests here and there won't spark interest in the sport and won't magically discover some players who could replace the stalwarts.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They can get plenty more years out of Stirling but it's unfortunate both O'Brien brothers will reach retirement age soon

Niall

International Coach
Read somewhere that Stirling was considering England. I doubt that would happen as ultimately he is not good enough to get into the limited overs sides whatsoever. However if somehow England were to make it happen,,,,grim times.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Read somewhere that Stirling was considering England. I doubt that would happen as ultimately he is not good enough to get into the limited overs sides whatsoever. However if somehow England were to make it happen,,,,grim times.
England has at least 3 openers better than him. However, he can walk into the Sri Lanka team if he wants (and so can Coetzer).

****, Brendan Taylor is probably better than any SL ODI batsman right now.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Lot of Irish players wrong side of 30 sadly, so many of those who played today were there when Ireland beat Pakistan in 2007. There will need to be a review of the performances here especially today where they seemed to be no sort of plan whatsoever.

I do fear looking at the ages of the players and how irrelevant the sport is in Ireland was the last few years the pinnacle of Irish cricket, will they in a few years time be as irrelevant as Kenya?

A few tests here and there won't spark interest in the sport and won't magically discover some players who could replace the stalwarts.
Ever remember the George Dockrell hype for England ? I actually really liked him. Weird how things went at Somerset.

One of the great things about Afghanistan and Ireland has been that they are actually producing cricketers born and bred.

Much of Zimbabwe's problems going forward will be their domestic system being a piece of **** and a lot of their talented players not even based in the country because producing their own wasn't a problem.

Ireland and Afghanistan have the opportunity to push forward but I do hear your point about Ireland. At least with Afghanistan we've now seen their future shine in an u19 WC this year.

Ireland u19 squad 2018 (Where will these guys be ?)

Harry Tector (19) - Named their World Cup star by the ICC (Munster Reds)
Neil Rock
Jamie Grassi (20) (Munster Reds)
Morgan Topping (Northern Knights)
Jonathan Garth
Joshua Little (19) - debuted for Ireland already (Leinster)
Aaron Cawley (19) (Munster Reds)
Max Neville (18) (Munster Reds)
Graham Kennedy (19) (North West)

Ireland u19 WC squad 2016
No one from this WC is in the Current Irish squad when you should see 1 or 2. Although H.Tector and Little were here before 2018.

You look at their senior core players

William Porterfield (34) - Signed for Gloucestershire when 24
Ed Joyce (40) - Signed for Middlesex when 21
Niall O'Brien (37) - Signed for Kent when 23
Kevin O'Brien (34) - Signed for Notts when 25
Gary Wilson (32) - Signed for Surrey when 22
Boyd Rankin (34) - Signed for Derbyshire when 22
*Eoin Morgan (32) - Signed for Middlesex when 20
** Not including the nearly 40 Tim Murtagh
These guys played under Trent Johnston

The Rest ? - Not exactly inspiring apart from the two Weldone mentioned.

Paul Stirling (28) - Signed for Middlesex when 20
Andrew Balbirnie (28) - Signed for Middlesex when 21
Simi Singh (31)
Andy McBrine (25)
Barry McCarthy (26) - Signed for Durham when 24

Peter Chase (25) - Been signed and released by Durham
George Dockrell (26) - Signed by Somerset when 18 but been released in 2015
James Shannon (28)

Last edited:

turnstyle

State 12th Man
There's no way Stirling is playing for England. He's had 10 years of international cricket and has a record about par for a good Associate bat.

Ireland need to do what Scotland did when they got booted from the English domestic comp a few years back and invest heavily in youth. It's really starting to show. Some more A tours like the one to Bangladesh last year would be a good start.