• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

91Jmay

International Coach
I can't help but feel this series will turn out to be another not-so-close series. Sure, the Aussies were in a far deeper hole at lunch, but they are still in a series deflating hole, imho. I really hope they climb out of it, but they probably won't.

I like these kind of selective statistics. Just for fun.
It should be said that an average of 27, batting at 7, is probably not too far behind par. We've been spoiled by Gilchrist and even by Prior and Dhoni. Most test wicket keepers are not that good with the bat.
Yeah if you get a guy averaging 36 who is a good glove-man you have to really take him in most cases don't you, especially if he scores quickly like every WK seems to.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Not to slate Australia, but I thought this could have been a 500-par pitch last night. With the possibility of a 600-er if someone (Clarke probably) seriously got in.

I crashed asleep at a mere 30-1 last night. Woke up in a cold sweat, anticipating 300-3 or thereabouts. I was actually surprised to see Australia skittled again (and yes, 273-8 is skittled on that pitch).

I'm sure this won't be the pattern this time though. I'll be up throughout the night tonight!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bloke sees the first six overs and judges a pitch to be worth 500-600 runs. It's ****ing Pelham Warner.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not to slate Australia, but I thought this could have been a 500-par pitch last night. With the possibility of a 600-er if someone (Clarke probably) seriously got in.

I crashed asleep at a mere 30-1 last night. Woke up in a cold sweat, anticipating 300-3 or thereabouts. I was actually surprised to see Australia skittled again (and yes, 273-8 is skittled on that pitch).

I'm sure this won't be the pattern this time though. I'll be up throughout the night tonight!
It is perfectly reasonable to assume that this will be the pattern though, is pretty much what this Australia side does, am sure they will manage a couple of big scores as well just like in our summer. Think it is how England bat that is less certain.

Spikey

there's a difference between it being a good pitch to bat on and it being a 500-600 pitch though. particularly with the slow outfield

Burgey

Yeah, nobody else was calling it a road tbf. Other than every ex-pro who had looked at it.
Well you can say it's a good pitch but to say 500 is par is pretty outlandish based on viewing what was five or six overs.

Not everyone was saying it was a road either, but it was certainly not a 8-270 odd deck.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Well you can say it's a good pitch but to say 500 is par is pretty outlandish based on viewing what was five or six overs.

Not everyone was saying it was a road either, but it was certainly not a 8-270 odd deck.
I should clarify myself here.

I watched the pre-match build-up and discussion and concluded it would be 500-par for England

Burgey

I should clarify myself here.

I watched the pre-match build-up and discussion and concluded it would be 500-par for England
That would be a big effort seeing as they didnt pass 400 at home all summer.

This may have been an innings one 500 deck for Australia 07 but it isn't for either of these sides.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

This may have been an innings one 500 deck for Australia 07 but it isn't for either of these sides.
Obviously confusing this team with an English team that can bat

Check that

Obviously confusing this English team with a team from another country that can bat

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain

This England team isn't completely different to the 10/11 lot you know.

There's still Cook, Trott, KP, Bell - namely the core of the batting line-up. And it's hard to imagine Root having the nighmare Collingwood did in that series.

And England bat down to 9.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
This England team isn't completely different to the 10/11 lot you know.

There's still Cook, Trott, KP, Bell - namely the core of the batting line-up. And it's hard to imagine Root having the nighmare Collingwood did in that series.

And England bat down to 9.
Actually some of our bowlers have had success in the past against england, so therefore we will dominate