• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly Australia's day, a good score on a pitch with plenty and then an early wicket. Stokes a positive again though, bowled some really nice stuff and got well rewarded. Obviously he still bowls some filth but there is something there to keep us excited with both bat and ball. Hopefully he is a 40 with the bat 30 with the ball guy we can build with.

Happy for Borthwick that he got a wicket, but from what I saw he looks like a much worse version of Steve Smith with the ball. Rankin a total disappointment, can't believe how little he was putting into his action.
Yeah - massive kudos to Haddin, Stokes & Smith. Given what folks are saying about what the pitch is expected to do over the next few days, obvs we're toast but we knew that anyway.

And Rankin can just piss off. Which I suppose is what he did today anyway.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well another disaster after I fell asleep then, happy for Stokes he is the only bright spot of a dismal series for us. Carberry can **** off now and sod off back to county cricket along with Rankin. Can't wait for tonight and seeing us bowled out for below 200 again.

adub

International Captain
Nothing better than Jan 3 at the SCG. Superb Test match cricket. Great cricket weather, sporting pitch and enough bars to ensure you can get set reasonably quickly so long as you can get n00fers out of his seat right as the last ball of the session is bowled.

Tagged TPC and Rad to ton up at lunch so mighty pissed with Haddin throwing it away again :p

Smith was glorious. His best test innings by a fair way I thought. And what can you say about Haddin. The only fair result would be joint man of the series with MJ. No way has he been less important to our wins. Can anyone else think of a batsman (not just a no.7 or a keeper, but any batsman) who has scored 50s in the first innings of every test of a 5 test series? Bradman didn't. (closest was the 47/48 series against India where he only missed out in the 2nd test). Simply astounding effort from Haddin. He should retire because he will never be this brilliant again.

Poms bowled to short for mine. The pitch looks like it rewards you for banging it into the pitch with some movement off the seam, but if you're too short it does too much to catch the edge. Especially in the middle session the length was just wrong and allowed Haddin and Smith to pull in front of square which is money for old rope for those two. When Stokes especially got it up a bit more he looked much more dangerous and got the reward. Take care of him England and he could reward you handsomely.

Also thought Borthwick despite getting taken to showed more than enough to persist with. Seems to have a nice enough action and his length problems were more being too full than dragging them down which were magnified by Smith's ability to get down the track. I saw a young blond leggy take 1/150 odd on debut here once but he ended up being pretty handy. Not saying Borthwick is anything like Warne league (although the action wasn't massively dissimilar either) but on older drier tracks I think he could pose some real questions, especially once he gets a bit of an older head on his shoulders. Just a pup at this stage and he'll need to be nurtured, but his first class record indicates he could be a pretty handy allrounder for you lot. Along with Stokes he could offer some real value in the lower middle order.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nothing better than Jan 3 at the SCG. Superb Test match cricket. Great cricket weather, sporting pitch and enough bars to ensure you can get set reasonably quickly so long as you can get n00fers out of his seat right as the last ball of the session is bowled.

Tagged TPC and Rad to ton up at lunch so mighty pissed with Haddin throwing it away again :p

Smith was glorious. His best test innings by a fair way I thought. And what can you say about Haddin. The only fair result would be joint man of the series with MJ. No way has he been less important to our wins. Can anyone else think of a batsman (not just a no.7 or a keeper, but any batsman) who has scored 50s in the first innings of every test of a 5 test series? Bradman didn't. (closest was the 47/48 series against India where he only missed out in the 2nd test). Simply astounding effort from Haddin. He should retire because he will never be this brilliant again.

Poms bowled to short for mine. The pitch looks like it rewards you for banging it into the pitch with some movement off the seam, but if you're too short it does too much to catch the edge. Especially in the middle session the length was just wrong and allowed Haddin and Smith to pull in front of square which is money for old rope for those two. When Stokes especially got it up a bit more he looked much more dangerous and got the reward. Take care of him England and he could reward you handsomely.

Also thought Borthwick despite getting taken to showed more than enough to persist with. Seems to have a nice enough action and his length problems were more being too full than dragging them down which were magnified by Smith's ability to get down the track. I saw a young blond leggy take 1/150 odd on debut here once but he ended up being pretty handy. Not saying Borthwick is anything like Warne league (although the action wasn't massively dissimilar either) but on older drier tracks I think he could pose some real questions, especially once he gets a bit of an older head on his shoulders. Just a pup at this stage and he'll need to be nurtured, but his first class record indicates he could be a pretty handy allrounder for you lot. Along with Stokes he could offer some real value in the lower middle order.
I was also at the SCG the day Warne made his debut and reckon a major difference between he and Borthwick today was that Shane spun the ball miles, beating the bat a lot in between the crap

Unfair to judge Borthwick on one outing though and hopefully he can score a few runs to give him some confidence for the 2nd innings

Burgey

Welcome to cw Kate. I hope you enjoy your stay. If you need any help navigating around the site, please feel free to contact me via VM.
Regards
Burgey.

adub

International Captain
Cheers Adders. Love nothing more than smashing Poms in Ashes Tests, but the 5-0 in 06/07 would have just been another series if you hadn't jagged 05. So we need you lot to win the odd one to make it worthwhile. Once every 20 years should do it. :p

Seriously though, after watching today's play for all the poor shots or too short bowling and the rest how could you not rate Test cricket a million times more than the hit and giggle ****? It was just so absorbing, with the advantage waxing and waning as the day went on. Full house with a happy boisterous crowd, a top order collapse, a middle order counter attack including a high class ton and a guy making history, then a quick tail collapse and an early wicket for the home side. Thrilling stuff. I was even clapping for MJ as he wiped Broad and Rankin off the top 6 fastest balls of the day list in his first over. (something I would have said would be impossible just a few months ago). Love, love, love Test cricket. And day one of an Ashes Test at the SCG is usually about as good as Test cricket can get. Today didn't disappoint.

adub

International Captain
And on the question of batsmen scoring 50s in each first innings of a 5 test series?

W Bardsley v SA 1910/11
E Weakes v Ind 1948/49 (3 tons and a 90 included)
B Haddin v Eng 2013/14

Botham, Mudassar and Tubby all scored 5 first dig 50s in 6 test series. (Tubster flubbed it with a 43 in the 3rd test of the 89 Ashes, Mudassar let him self down with 38 in the 3rd test against India 82/83 but made up for it with a double and two 150s in the last three tests, and Both failed with 7 in the first test against India 81/82 but then went on a scoring spree scoring 440 at 55)

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Surely not?

Cramp on day one after eight overs? & after one ball of his abortive return.

His fitness is either shockingly toilet or he was cracking one out on the physio's table.

Not that I have much sympathy for Rankin there is no way England should be leaking this kind of thing to the press during the series. Players don't deserve it however bad the performance during the tour. At the end of the day it's the selectors and coaches failure. I could of told you Rankin has a history of injury problems and rarely bowls more than 14 or 15 overs a day at most.

And there have been a few players who have suffered with cramp on debut due to nerves or tension. Rankin's will be a combination of nerves and not brilliant conditioning imo

Tangles

Now we know why Bumble saw Rankin bowling early morning while watched by coach, physio and dr. Poor decision to let him play and cramp after 8 overs says a lot about the guys fitness and conditioning. Wasn't exactly steaming in.

91Jmay

International Coach
Now we know why Bumble saw Rankin bowling early morning while watched by coach, physio and dr. Poor decision to let him play and cramp after 8 overs says a lot about the guys fitness and conditioning. Wasn't exactly steaming in.
It makes sense now as to why he was putting so little into his action, to only get one ball above 88 MPH is shocking. He normally bowls almost MJ length spells for the Bears at hostile pace.

Tangles

It makes sense now as to why he was putting so little into his action, to only get one ball above 88 MPH is shocking. He normally bowls almost MJ length spells for the Bears at hostile pace.
Conditioning normally this bad? Just been living it up on tour then while not expecting to play. Which is also a bad approach for a Pro.

Mark68

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This tour just seems to lurch from one shambolic fiasco to another. It surely can't get much worse.

benchmark00

I've seen a little bit of both Ballance & Borthwick.

I think I posted this earlier in the series when I thought England were going to pick Ballance, but always thought Ballance's strength is also his weakness, i.e. his bottom hand sometimes overpowers his top hand. It's a lot like Cook in a way. If Australia have done their homework they'll target him the same way they target Cook, trying to get him going through covers away from his body with his bottom hand taking over. If he's eye is in he can brain them but it's also a massive area to target. Would be getting a good number of slips in there and even a catching cover or two.

Borthwick is a little bit the same in that he has a pretty powerful bottom hand and doesn't mind rocking back just short of a good length.

91Jmay

International Coach
Conditioning normally this bad? Just been living it up on tour then while not expecting to play. Which is also a bad approach for a Pro.
He got himself in to really good shape in the English summer, but its always been known to fluctuate.