• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Spark

Global Moderator
Ballance seems to conform slightly to the Inzamam stereotype of the slightly rotund batsman who can time the **** out of the ball. Some of those shots pinged off the bat far, far quicker than you'd expect.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ballance seems to conform slightly to the Inzamam stereotype of the slightly rotund batsman who can time the **** out of the ball. Some of those shots pinged off the bat far, far quicker than you'd expect.
Setting a high bar for the boy there, but yeah. If you'll forgive the interminable pun, he does look like he has natural balance at the crease.

Only slight concern is he looks, like a lot of our African contingent, a predominantly front foot player, so I am concerned he might nick a few early doors.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even Petko is onside with Mitchell Johnson.

TBF, that's the only comment I've got a ran out of anger, and am puffing on more fumes than Hugh Hefner with his latest Play-Mate.:(

Shri

Mr. Glass
Stayed up and watched the first session - grimmest display yet - has to be the most dramatic fall from grace ever by an international sports team - we should tear up all the central contracts and start again
India last 10 away tests:

P 10 W 0 D 1 L 9

We have got you covered.

Last edited:

mintykip

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Really disappointed with Rankin in this test, truly has looked toothless. It seems like he's dropping pace in order to try and gain some control and get the ball to land on the pitch, but that hardly seems to be working with plenty of balls floating down the leg side.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Went to today's play, much more entertaining than day 1 Boxing Day when I went to the G. The first session was just lol.

One thing - what England did in the last 30-40 minutes of the day was criminal. Whilst its unlikely they would come close to chasing 350 with their form and Australia's attack, they were still nevertheless theoretically in the game. They had to get Bailey before close of play, and their tactics were a joke. Bowling Rankin ahead of Jimmy at that crucial moment, the short ball plan, and then giving him easy singles with Borthwick. WTF?

Horrible stuff.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, while there's a lot of competition I think the grimmest past of the whole England performance this series has been their willingness to completely fold and give up at times. While it happens to every team sometimes - it certainly did to Australia in 10/11, it's really quite weird watching a team that really isn't that far behind just not try. If Australia were 2/500 it would be understandable to just set defensive fields and hope for a mistake, but at 4/80 on a lively pitch? Come on.

Mark68

Cricket is a funny game, but this is one heck of a predictable series.

Little doubt Australia will set England 400+ and they'll fall well short yet again.

Can only see us replying with 175 tops. Perhaps a half century from a Ballance or a Borthwick and that will be that.

Have to say Aussies have been superb in every single department. Thoroughly deserved 5-0 shellacking.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, while there's a lot of competition I think the grimmest past of the whole England performance this series has been their willingness to completely fold and give up at times. While it happens to every team sometimes - it certainly did to Australia in 10/11, it's really quite weird watching a team that really isn't that far behind just not try. If Australia were 2/500 it would be understandable to just set defensive fields and hope for a mistake, but at 4/80 on a lively pitch? Come on.
Listening to Cook after Melbourne just showed how limited the thinking is. It's literally new ball = wickets then wait for reverse or the next new ball. All that was needed for George was slips, a ring field and bowling on 4/5th stump with 2 seamers. It looks like Cook literally gives up when his opening bowlers are off. If he was going to bowl Borthwick he had to force George to take risks.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Have to say Aussies have been superb in every single department. Thoroughly deserved 5-0 shellacking.
Other than top order batting tbf. Its almost as if they troll England by collapsing and then recovering, lol.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Article in today's Guardian said that in the first innings of the first four tests Australia had scored 612 for the first five wickets and England 596.

For the last five Oz have added a further 842, whereas England just 218.

Also said the 18 players we've used equals the record for any team in an away series.

Yuk.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Article in today's Guardian said that in the first innings of the first four tests Australia had scored 612 for the first five wickets and England 596.

For the last five Oz have added a further 842, whereas England just 218.

Also said the 18 players we've used equals the record for any team in an away series.

Yuk.
Yeah when I woke up and saw we'd scored 150, I actually thought eh not bad, which shows what we've come to expect from the last 5 wickets (went to bed at lunch)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just seen Bairstow getting out for the first time on Sky News - truly horrible dismissal - reminded me of the "Rumble in the Jungle" and Ali's "Rope a Dope" tactic - in fact come to think of it the whole bloody series rather smacks of that :@

Mark68

Other than top order batting tbf. Its almost as if they troll England by collapsing and then recovering, lol.
I don't know.....Rogers, Warner, Clarke have been in the runs. While we hit back with Cooky's contributions...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India last 10 away tests:

P 10 W 0 D 1 L 9

We have got you covered.
Yeah, but India has always been crap away from home. This England team won here three years ago, won in India and unlike your team has/ had an attack which which could hit the side of a barn with a 12 gauge.

It really is a pretty dramatic slide.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's the thing though. A top order bat gets out other than nicking off or lbw/bowled and it's soft, weak etc. Tough gig.
I wouldn't see the harm in him occasionally holing out to long on for 160 odd tbh.