• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't know why people get so worked up about claimed catches. Other than the obvious fact that it's tough to tell what happened when the ball hits your hand at over 100 ks, there's the fact that gamesmanship is unlikely to work in this day and age. Cook wasn't anymore likely to be given out for the Hughes catch than he was for the one he edged to Clarke in the slips which wasn't claimed.

A guy being unsure yet excited about the prospect of taking a good catch is hardly as tricksy as people make it out to be.
Inclined to agree. Why is it any worse than appealing for LBWs which won't be given out?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Inclined to agree. Why is it any worse than appealing for LBWs which won't be given out?
Because Ponting has spent the last five years telling us that the 'spirit of cricket TM' dictates we should all take the word of the fielder and not use the replay, and that all us other teams are wrong to disagree.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Does the difference really need to be spelled out?

Having said which, I agree that he probably got swept up in the moment a bit, and the appeal was driven by others (notably, but unsurprisingly, Clarke)

Spark

Global Moderator
The point is that it's pretty rough to say he's deliberately being dishonest.

Anyway I realise I'm in the minority on this issue, and I hate it anyway so I'll stop talking about it.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Partly because they expect the batsman to take the fielders word for it. All having a dig at Cook because he stood around, and very childishly didn't clap his ton when he got there as he didn't walk walk for a half-volleyed catch at best. How can you take someones word for it when they claim something like that??

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Because Ponting has spent the last five years telling us that the 'spirit of cricket TM' dictates we should all take the word of the fielder and not use the replay, and that all us other teams are wrong to disagree.
So it's Ponting that makes you angry about the Hughes claim?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe he thought it was out? Where's your slo-mo to prove him wrong?

And by contrast, as we all seem to agree, Hughes didn't think his "catch" was out, and the slo-mo proved him decisively right
Well then he's got eyes in the back of his head. Well done him.

Anyway, beach beckons. Best we've bowled in a while this little spell, especially from a spinner.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Partly because they expect the batsman to take the fielders word for it. All having a dig at Cook because he stood around, and very childishly didn't clap his ton when he got there as he didn't walk walk for a half-volleyed catch at best. How can you take someones word for it when they claim something like that??
Well quite. The hypocrisy grates a tad - although tbf this is Hamlet without the Prince in that respect

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting hasn't said a word about that for two years tbf.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyhow, onwards and upwards, chaps.

There's a great Test going on here. I reckon unless we get a substantial first innings lead we're in a bit of bother. If we total 400 I'd be reasonably happy. 300 and I'd be very worried indeed.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
But you don't take a fielders word for it. Cook (rightly) stood his ground, and it's not like the umpires are going to give a questionable catch without reviewing it.

Not saying being excited about a questionable catch is a good thing, but it's hardly as bad as is made out because no fielder is stupid enough to think it will have any bearing on the outcome of the decision, hence it's not likely to be done with dodgy intentions.

Like Spark said I'm in the minority, so ill stop now.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting hasn't said a word about that for two years tbf.
Wasn't his "that's ****ing weak umpiring Aleem" outburst at Adelaide (brisbane?) about the fact that the umpires hadn't taken the fielder's word for it? I might be wrong, often am