• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was never going to be an easy game but it’s embarrassing to be outfought so badly when you have something to play for and your opponent doesn’t.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just a lack of quality and depth I guess. You know it's grim when you see Pepe being warmed up as the supposed impact sub

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Biggest season of two halves I can remember, this.

Have never seen such a contrast of manager quality as between Bruce and Howe. It's a chasm. Sure the cash injection helped but every single existing player looked ten times as good.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Biggest season of two halves I can remember, this.

Have never seen such a contrast of manager quality as between Bruce and Howe. It's a chasm. Sure the cash injection helped but every single existing player looked ten times as good.
Looking a decent bet for England's next manager once Southgate's decided that he's had enough of the job.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I love how you post filthy trolls like this even though we have no Celtic fan posters, just on the off chance that one might wander in.
:laugh:

I wasn't going to argue with Furball about this, and obviously I'm not overly fussed either way. But a stray Celtic fan would probably argue that their 1967 final win against an Inter side that had won 2 of the previous 3 European Cups and had a smattering of Italian internationals takes some beating, not least because it was in the final, wasn't on home turf and needed them to come from behind against Inter's catenaccio formation.

But as I say, I'm not looking for a disagreement here. Both were outstanding achievements, and perhaps the Rangers win against Bayern Munich has been unfairly forgotten over the years.

Uppercut

:laugh:

I wasn't going to argue with Furball about this, and obviously I'm not overly fussed either way. But a stray Celtic fan would probably argue that their 1967 final win against and Inter side that had won of the previous 3 European Cups and had a smattering of Italian internationals takes some beating, not least because it was in the final, wasn't on home turf and needed them to come from behind against Inter's catenaccio formation.

As I say, I'm not looking for a disagreement here, so be nice to me Furball.
Yeah haha I didn’t fancy getting into it either but I think this is the conclusion that anyone who wasn’t wearing thick blue-tinted glasses would come to.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah haha I didn’t fancy getting into it either but I think this is the conclusion that anyone who wasn’t wearing thick blue-tinted glasses would come to.
The Celtic win also in by far the more important competition.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
True, but maybe only quite so markedly in retrospect. The CWC and even the dear old Wafer Cup had some genuinely quality teams back in the days when a team actually had to be champions of their domestic league (or Yurp) to qualify for the European Cup.

When we won the CWC in 94 (for example) we had Real Madrid, Ajax, Benfica, PSG and Leverkusen in the competition.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
one could argue Bayern's reign of terror over German football started with their CWC title (ironically in 1967 over Rangers) and the year before the final was Chelsea v Real Madrid, though I don't know how much heft Chelsea had as a club in 1971

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The Bayern Munich side had something like 7 or 8 of the West German side. When you look at what Bayern and West Germany achieved over the following 4 years, it's a remarkable result.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That downplays the Cup Winners Cup unfairly IMO.

If City get the job done, then in old times they'd be going into the European Cup and Liverpool would be going into the Cup Winners Cup - beating a fantastic team like Liverpool doesn't get devalued because it's in the 'lesser' competition IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I agree with Brumby’s post really. When I got into footy and my dad taught me about it all, he said in his opinion the UEFA Cup could some years be the hardest to win given the volume of teams etc.

The CWC became a bit of a farce when they expanded the CL (hence being abolished I guess), but prior to that doubles were quite rare (well, maybe that’s just in England?) and the cups had real prestige so being the champ of champs was really worth something.

Uppercut

The Bayern Munich side had something like 7 or 8 of the West German side. When you look at what Bayern and West Germany achieved over the following 4 years, it's a remarkable result.
Nobody’s saying it wasn’t, we just don’t think it’s as good as literally winning the European cup.