• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah. I could see being at home, almost putting more pressure on a pen taker than being away. Booing the player coming up, can often be a spur I reckon, better than the deathly hush of expectancy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Suurey you could say the same about penalties?
I think penalties are a different kettle of fish because you need to be able to shut out all the associated noise (crowd, situation, previous successes/failures, goalkeeper) to successfully take penalties in a shootout. The best penalty takers don't seem to be affected in the slightest by stepping up in a hostile atmosphere.

edit: or what Mags said.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think the day might come when extra time is abolished in all tournaments anyway. Having an extra period that's a third of another game in duration is quite odd. It might not happen in the near future, but one day I think it'll be straight to penalties.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the day might come when extra time is abolished in all tournaments anyway. Having an extra period that's a third of another game in duration is quite odd. It might not happen in the near future, but one day I think it'll be straight to penalties.
I hope so, it's silly. 90 minute game isn't it, either replay (not going to happen) or pens right away.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, overtime/extra time is a common thing across most sports, it's not a weird football only thing.

I don't see any issue with extra time in a straight knockout tie, I think there's an issue with it in the 2nd leg of a 2 legged tie.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of the League Cup we're away to Peterborough in the first round of the "Southern" section. I know there's reasons for regionalising it and the boundaries have to be somewhere. But that's about 100 miles further away than many midlands clubs in the "Northern" section.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Have Arsenal replaced Arteta with Martin O'Neill? All the rumours that my phone keeps notifying me with (despite turning them off repeatedly) are straight from the Martin O'Neill school of paying over the odds for slightly above average English talent.
Arteta is the Spanish Martin O'Neill

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Possible swap deal on the table involving Partey and Ramsey apparently. Not a good idea, one suspects.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Fame at last. Just watching a new documentary series about Ghislaine Maxwell. Of all the footage they could have shown from her time as director of Oxford United they showed a goal against the mighty Greens, and I was there. Okay I’m not seen on screen, but no man is an island.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why have we signed another Tranmere reject, not good.
On his day Ray is a cultured footballing defender.

When it's not his day he is an utter liability.

Nice lad though, hope he does well tbh.

In other news the next game I attend will be against Rangers