• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the weird thing is there's a kernel of a point, in what he's saying I was listening to Guardian football weekly preview to this season and someone just said he doesn't think Dean Smith and Scott Parker are up to it, the only 2 things that link ther two are they're English really. Smith has a decent record. They've been ribbing the guy since about Villa's start, but I don't remember one of them interjecting at the time,
He doesn't really have a point at all though. If Dean Smith said it then he might have a point. Lampard OTOH is probably the most overpromoted man in English football and he's complaining about not getting a fair go. It's pure cringe.

The Guardian might look down on British managers, but who cares because nobody reads it, it's the country's 12th most popular daily.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's just a sign of pressure I suppose he had a free hit last year, this year he has been giving all the money, doesn't finish top 4 he's toast, and that maybe not good enough, if it's a scrape-in coz other teams are crapper.

grecian

He doesn't really have a point at all though. If Dean Smith said it then he might have a point. Lampard OTOH is probably the most overpromoted man in English football and he's complaining about not getting a fair go. It's pure cringe.

The Guardian might look down on British managers, but who cares because nobody reads it, it's the country's 12th most popular daily.
you are ignoring the second Paragraph there, where I basically just said what you did. I don't read the paper, but like the Podcast.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Funny how none of those managers have done particularly badly, but all of those clubs are to some extent in bad shape. An overpromoted ex-player manager is kind of like an accidental "this club is run like a ****show" badge.
Arteta at Arsenal another example.

grecian

Arteta at Arsenal another example.
I dunno, I mean where were Arsenal after Emery, who was going to come to them? Arteta's not really a legend player, think they wanted more of that Guardiola magic, rather than ex-player magic.

Pothas

Funny how none of those managers have done particularly badly, but all of those clubs are to some extent in bad shape. An overpromoted ex-player manager is kind of like an accidental "this club is run like a ****show" badge.
Pretty much, they are all hoping for a Guardiola of course. Simeone and Conte both brilliant as well but had credentials beforehand although maybe not enough to get them the job if they had not been former players. Feels like they did such a good job they they don't get counted as former players.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I dunno, I mean where were Arsenal after Emery, who was going to come to them? Arteta's not really a legend player, think they wanted more of that Guardiola magic, rather than ex-player magic.
Obviously the exact circumstances of the job when it comes to budgets etc could put someone off, but a London based club the size of Arsenal is surely attractive to pretty much anyone?

grecian

Obviously the exact circumstances of the job when it comes to budgets etc could put someone off, but a London based club the size of Arsenal is surely attractive to pretty much anyone?
Well if you go on the hype spread by the board that they had no money then Nah.

Yet I am a bit suspicious of that myself, but we'll see.

grecian

most managers used to be overpromoted ex players tho, it's only recently that it's become its own profession
most managers used to be overpromoted ex players tho, it's only recently that it's become its own profession
I think it goes through waves TBH, I think Wenger, Ferguson and Morinho stopped it here for a bit. Yet there was a surge in late-80s early 90s following Dalglish, Souness, Bryan Robson, Butcher. Before that it was traditional for the likes of Howard Kendall, Alan Ball and Ron saunders to go right down the leagues and do a bit of player-managing.

Chairman and owners are simple folk often they see what is happening around them and do it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The 3 great interwar managers in the British game (Struth at Rangers, Malley at Celtic and Chapman at Arsenal) had either non existent or fairly mediocre playing careers.

grecian

May as well go down the pub and listen to drunks talk about football to each other if you rate the Guardian podcast. That's what Glendenning is anyway.
Well he did describe Lampard as an Over-rated dolt in the last pod, so you may have some common ground.

I enjoy it, it has the stupid side but it has people who elevate it above the likes of Football Ramble, but in the end I wouldn't mind a pint with Barry, miserablist sod who drinks too much, reckon we'd get on. he does have a turn of phrase though.

Good to see the Uefa Cup getting no mentions, which let's face it is what it deserves.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Lampard's statement was hilariously stupid but I'm not really sure who overrates him. Some Chelsea fans, maybe? tbh I'd probably argue he's underrated 'cause most people think he's awful and I think he's been alright.

In other news:

Hope they go bankrupt :laugh:

grecian

Good three points today, but watching it not really a great experience, but it is what it is.

grecian

It's weird as I've just said football isn't the same without crowds, but if they lock it all down, I will be livid the 40% of excitement of a match I get through this, is better than 0% at trying to flick through channels looking for something to watch.

Pothas

Quite enjoyed my ifollow experience this afternoon.

Also probably time to make my first Ivan Toney is quite good at football post.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lampard's statement was hilariously stupid but I'm not really sure who overrates him. Some Chelsea fans, maybe? tbh I'd probably argue he's underrated 'cause most people think he's awful and I think he's been alright.

In other news:

Hope they go bankrupt :laugh:
Glad to see spunking hundreds of millions of euros on cross has finally caught up with them.