• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Souness made 2 marquee signings in the summer of 86 in Woods and Butcher, but other than adding Graham Roberts around Christmas time, it was the same squad who finished 5th the season before who became champions. The money spent by Souness is overstated when it comes to how much he transformed the club in 1986.
How much difference do you think Souness also made as a player though? I don't really know the answer to that, and I know he didn't help by getting himself red carded from time to time, but he had been an absolutely magnificent footballer.

I suppose I'm also judging him by his underwhelming managerial stint at Liverpool which may not be relevant to his time at Ibrox, tbf.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stoke's relegation is like when Frodo destroyed the ring.
I'll settle for that, whatever you mean. I know people are saying that Palace were already safe but none of us who remember the horrors of 1993 would say so until it's mathematically certain.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How much difference do you think Souness also made as a player though? I don't really know the answer to that, and I know he didn't help by getting himself red carded from time to time, but he had been an absolutely magnificent footballer.

I suppose I'm also judging him by his underwhelming managerial stint at Liverpool which may not be relevant to his time at Ibrox, tbf.
Souness is slightly before my time, however we had Derek Ferguson and Iain Durrant at the club who would have been teenagers and who would have learned loads from playing alongside Souness.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What did this stem from?
1992/93 Champions League.

Marseille were stripped of their French title that season for match fixing. It was never proven that they were at it in Europe, but there were 2 or 3 really dodgy incidents in the group stage. Like beating CSKA Moscow 6-0 at home after half their team went down with food poisoning, Mark Hateley got sent off for **** all against Brugges which conveniently ruled him out of the away game against Marseille, and Marseille's winner against Brugges in the final round of games was soft as ****.

I've also grown more bitter about that over the years because we'll never get a shot as good as that to win the Big One.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, not that close to safety. Southampton not winning against Swansea would get them close to that point though.

Edit so really, the point forces Swansea and Southampton into winning a game.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I’ve had a couple of beers so I may be off but I think as it stands they need two points but if either side win that Southampton/Swansea game they’ll just need one

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A desperately sad day. You could tell by the way he flubbed some of the lines in his speech that the occasion really got to him, and that it hurts him so much that his time is ending. It was time to go, but that doesn't make it any nicer. Just glad he got the send off and ovation he deserved. A man who was a childhood hero to me, and a man who even as an adult in whom I have found inspiration. Bye Arsene, you were great.

Niall

International Coach
ha,I thought ye might nick a point against a half arsed Arsenal on the final day, but against Chelsea who are in fine form? Nope did not see that coming! Job done ye stay up!:D

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nice win mate. Would like to see you get it done.

New conference play off format has produced blinding games this season. I wasn’t in love with it but it really does favour the teams who finished higher which seems fair. The one off game nature is brutal though. Anyway I wonder if the FL may shake things up?

All about Saturday for me. There’s no other footy on at 3 so y’all should tune in and watch the whites right the wrongs of twelve months past.