• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Seeing us dabble in the dark arts feels kinda good. Hope we can be this efficient against all the big teams this season.
It was kind of encouraging, but there were still worrying signs. Had Chelsea been at the races I doubt Arsenal would have kept a clean sheet. That chance that Ramires (I think it was Ramires anyway) headed over/wide despite not being under any really pressure whatsoever was pretty criminal.

Edit: Good on the whole though, as you could tell Mourinho and Chelsea were well up for the game and clearly were determined not to let Arsenal beat them.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah we had a couple of golden opportunities as well (Gibbs and Santi) so I think we still edged it. Chelsea imo go as far as Costa's hammies can take them. We shut down Hazard,Remy and Cesc for the most part but it would have been completely different with a striker as well rounded as Costa. Lol at how poor Falcao was though.

Hope we can take this belief into the game at The Bridge in September.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Sky are actually just using Football Manager now.

Think the promoted sides will go better this year, or at very least they will score a lot more goals.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So Sky are actually just using Football Manager now.

Think the promoted sides will go better this year, or at very least they will score a lot more goals.
Haha I was wondering wtf their stats were when they did some comparison between Di Maria and Pedro.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
So Rafael is off to Lyon for the princely sum of £2.1m. Not always the most reliable or cool-headed of lads but I’ll be sad to see him go, particularly as genuinely loved the club and was one of the embarrassingly few United players who actually seemed up for it against Liverpool in recent years.

It also means that we have managed to sell RVP, Nani and Rafael for a combined total of just £11m. Or, to put it another way, slightly more than Spurs got just for Paulinho. From Guangzhou.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All three would've been on extremely high wages, which they wouldn't have been keen to cut, so the transfer fee needs to be low to compensate the buying club for taking them on. It's pretty good business for the club. None of the three are good enough anymore.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, of course I realise the argument about getting the wages off the books and the fact that the buying teams won't be willing/able to also pay high transfer fees. I also remember Fergie saying that in the past they've sometimes accepted a lower fee than they should have for a good, loyal player who they wanted to give the best chance to at a new club.

But even with those provisos, it still seems to me that we manage to sell much lower than we should compared to other big clubs who also pay high wages.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think they're just not very good players. RVP and Nani we're lucky to get anything for. Rafael is maybe a little cheap, but not by much. Right-backs generally go for very little, and his fitness record is horrendous.

We're getting huge money for Di Maria. I mean, it's just undoing the error we made in paying even more for him last summer, but still.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha yeah, nearly £45m for Di Maria is pretty good, though would feel a lot better if we weren't taking a £15m bath on the fee last year. And even that is tempered a little further by the fact that the same club paid more than that for Sideshow.

I'd disagree about being lucky to get anything for RVP and Nani. Nani frustrates the hell out of me, but he's still only 28 and is coming off a good season in Portugal. I reckon £4.25m for a player of his talent and experience is low. RVP's age and wages were always going to keep his feel down, but again I reckon a Chelsea or Tottenham would have squeezed more than £4.75m out of the buying club (particularly if the buying club was United).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Still can't get my head around Bournemouth being four leagues higher than us
I can cope with Bournemouth's brief moment of glory, but being in a lower division than Fleetwood is a different kettle of bananas..

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hmm, I saw a pic of it earlier where I actually thought it looked ok. These pics seem to have been taken out of the studio/in natural light though...and it's really not very aesthetically inviting tstl.