• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This is usually the time Smitteh walks in and calls me a ****head. But IDEK. Benzema is great and I'm not actually criticising Aguero at all. The hamstring thing is a far bigger worry as the last thing we need is another sicknote.

That reminds me, what is the consensus on Nasri these days?
Flat track bully. Always has been.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aguero is phenomenal, that's not in dispute but Benzema is also pretty ****ing amazing - which seemingly you're not so sure on.
I'm not really criticising Benzema here. I think there are levels of attacking footballer, and the top echelon is players that are extremely fast, great dribblers who can change direction very sharply and score a lot of goals. That's Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Suarez- in the Premiership it's Sanchez, Aguero and Hazard. Those are the guys that make a really big difference to the quality of the team. Citeh, Arsenal and Chelsea have one each, Barca have three, United have none. Liverpool had one last year, lost him, and cut their goals scored in half.

Benzema is someone who's great at enabling that type of player to perform at their best, like Ozil or Iniesta. Great players, but clearly not in the same league- Ozil-Iniesta-Benzema is a much less intimidating frontline than any three of the fast-dribbler types. There's an argument that you can overdo the fast-dribblers, and players like Ozil are essential to pick out their runs and create chances, but that's not really what we're seeing at Barca, or at Liverpool last season. There's a loss of subtlety, but having that amount of pace in the frontline makes the team's pressing basically unplayable. I think that if you can sign that type of player, you just always should.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Someone like Messi, Neymar, Hazard and even Suarez are much better link up players as well though. Makes getting the balance a lot easier. City don't have players at all like that on the wing, they have wide 10s. Arsenal have Alexis and Walcott, Welbeck and Chamberlain as options. I think Arsenal's current balance is pretty good so would try to maintain it rather than change it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but Aguero.

Why are we even talking about this anyway? Bees have as much chance of getting him.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anyone I'd probably be hoping Arsenal sign a player a bit like Uppercut is talking about (because there are loads of them available for the right price) and try to convert them into a proper centre forward. Just hope that such a transformation would be more Henry or RVP than Alexis or Walcott.

I quite like Draxler.

harsh.ag

Arsenal should get Rooney :cool: Would be brilliant. Always felt United have been criminal with him, ever since CR7 came on to the scene. He was such a good striker, and those instincts were mostly stifled.

cpr

International Coach
Truth be told he stifles them himself. Getting him to actually play as a striker is nigh on impossible, he just doesn't have the discipline, would rather chase the ball and end up 20 yards behind the play

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
This is madness. Aguero is better than basically everyone. If you get the chance to sign him you do it, and if he doesn't fit your system then you change the system.

I don't think Benzema is anywhere near the same league. I appreciate there are some subtleties to his game that benefit those around him, but Aguero's movement is extremely intelligent too, on top of his less subtle quality of scoring loads and loads of amazing goals. Sure he might deteriorate, but so might Benzema, who's a year older.
I think your points are great but I don't think it's fair to say not even in the same league. You'd take Aguero all day, everyday, if you have the money. But you could probably get Benzema a bit cheaper.

I think he'd probably suit Arsenal just as much considering that they have that pacey, skillful, player on the wings and they tend to play well with a target - which is what Benzema at times does.

harsh.ag

Truth be told he stifles them himself. Getting him to actually play as a striker is nigh on impossible, he just doesn't have the discipline, would rather chase the ball and end up 20 yards behind the play
Well, that's a coach's job isn't it, and hard to believe SAF couldn't have got him in line. Should have played as CF. Could have been Sir Bobby Charlton 2.0

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's why Ferguson wanted rid of him.
Yeah we definitely should have cashed in two summers ago, when his reputation was still miles ahead of his ability. By now most people have noticed he's not superstar-good. Moyes, unfortunately, being the last to catch on.

I think he fits quite well as the striker in our current system, but we need some alternative to moving him back into midfield whenever Carrick breaks down. As it stands Carrick's injury acts as a downgrade in three positions, because Herrera<<<Carrick at the base of midfield, Rooney<<<Herrera shuttling, and Falcao/RVP<<<Rooney as the central striker.

Last edited: