• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Can't understand why so many people use it tbh. It amazes me that people actually give a hoot about what someone like Rio has to say anyway, but evidently they do, so I won't dwindle on that. What amazes me more is that people like Rio actually think they have something insightful to tell the rest of us. Can't remember ever hearing anything in the news about a tweet that was interesting or thought provoking, it's always banal tripe.
The way news breaks on twitter before anything else is what has me on there, especially sports related. I don't follow many players, only journos really (and isanyoneup cause chicks post n00dz). It's a great source of information and really good sports analysis if you follow the right people.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Finding all the discussion on Andy Carroll really pathetic. They're going on as if he plays then the only way you can use him is by hoofing it towards him from 50-60 yards. If you're actually a decent passing team in the first place (which England and Liverpool aren't) then he can basically hang in the box all day and wait for someone to find him. It wasn't exactly effective when Liverpool and England hoofed the ball to him 30-40 yards out with one heavily outnumbered team-mate to find. What he needs is a quality ball finding him in a position where he can score. It doesn't really matter if the quality is from a deeper position - like Gerrard's cross in Euro 2012 - or a pass along the floor. Better teams need the guy in the box who can finish things off more than anyone because sooner or later they'll have teams camped in their own half.
Nah there's no substance to that argument. Can't be doing with a carthorse poacher up front in a passing team, it's too much tougher to play possession-oriented football when your least defensive player isn't contributing to the build-up at all. He'd stick out like a sore thumb, his first touch makes baby jesus cry.

Crap PR from Rodgers though.

Eds

International Debutant
Can't decide whether I agree with this or not.

On one hand, you could argue we were highly unlikely to get any offers unless he actually flouted him around, as he has. However, it's bound to have a negative effect for various reasons. If Rodgers really does want to get rid, then it's probably a good idea.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah there's no substance to that argument. Can't be doing with a carthorse poacher up front in a passing team, it's too much tougher to play possession-oriented football when your least defensive player isn't contributing to the build-up at all. He'd stick out like a sore thumb, his first touch makes baby jesus cry.

Carroll can pass it simply if he has to move out. But really he's there to occupy the defence rather than to give you another option to pass the ball about. Unless he drops deep he's in a much more pressurised position to dink the ball about anyway. He'd be holding the ball up for people and then knocking a short pass which can do some damage. A good passing team will make the margin for error larger, England and Liverpool make it tiny because there's hardly anyone else up to pass to and they're too knackered from chasing the ball about.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The way news breaks on twitter before anything else is what has me on there, especially sports related. I don't follow many players, only journos really (and isanyoneup cause chicks post n00dz). It's a great source of information and really good sports analysis if you follow the right people.
Yeah, that's definitely the upside. Problem is, it's populated by boring kents who post new tweets twenty times a day about how they've just been to see their beauty therapist or burnt their toast. I don't have twitter myself, but I see this kind of thing re-tweeted through Facebook all the time. Mind you, I could always delete this kind of crap from my newsfeed I suppose. Probably says more about the people I keep company with rather than Twitter itself in fairness.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, that's definitely the upside. Problem is, it's populated by boring kents who post new tweets twenty times a day about how they've just been to see their beauty therapist or burnt their toast. I don't have twitter myself, but I see this kind of thing re-tweeted through Facebook all the time. Mind you, I could always delete this kind of crap from my newsfeed I suppose. Probably says more about the people I keep company with rather than Twitter itself in fairness.
unfollow/block/filter. easy as.

grecian

Yep, Twitter very much is in who/what you follow. Don't follow ****s, you won't get a ****y feed.

Uppercut

Carroll can pass it simply if he has to move out. But really he's there to occupy the defence rather than to give you another option to pass the ball about. Unless he drops deep he's in a much more pressurised position to dink the ball about anyway. He'd be holding the ball up for people and then knocking a short pass which can do some damage. A good passing team will make the margin for error larger, England and Liverpool make it tiny because there's hardly anyone else up to pass to and they're too knackered from chasing the ball about.
Carroll's hold up play isn't very good though, largely as a result of his comical first touch. You want a Cantona/Llorente type to play that role, not a Tony Cascarino. Also, you're wasting his biggest asset- ability to win long balls- so he's worth more to a side like Newcastle than a passing side. They'll probably get a pretty good deal, especially considering he's already been sold for so much.

flibbertyjibber

Anyone watched "Is Football Racist?" on BBC3?

Haven't done so myself, but the gist I get is that John Barnes has forgotten that he got sacked because he was ****ing useless at managing a football team, and not because he was black.
Yeah, a few black managers have got sacked just for being crap, Barnes and Ince spring to mind straight away. Chris Powell and Keith Alexander (rip) were different.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Finding all the discussion on Andy Carroll really pathetic. They're going on as if he plays then the only way you can use him is by hoofing it towards him from 50-60 yards. If you're actually a decent passing team in the first place (which England and Liverpool aren't) then he can basically hang in the box all day and wait for someone to find him. It wasn't exactly effective when Liverpool and England hoofed the ball to him 30-40 yards out with one heavily outnumbered team-mate to find. What he needs is a quality ball finding him in a position where he can score. It doesn't really matter if the quality is from a deeper position - like Gerrard's cross in Euro 2012 - or a pass along the floor. Better teams need the guy in the box who can finish things off more than anyone because sooner or later they'll have teams camped in their own half.
Sounds like a £35m version of Kris Boyd.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also seems that Arsenal are going to refuse to transfer Van Persie, which is itstl. Not sure how wise that is, as even if he was fully geared and ready to go I doubt he'd have as good a season as he did last time round. But seeing as he wants out...could end up badly. Or could end up like Tevez last season I suppose.

shivamLM

Cricket Spectator
Well there is a stat I read on Andy Carroll that he has had the most headed attempts this season but has only 1 scored one goal. Carroll is a good player not a great player and I don't think he will be a great player. Should Liverpool cut their loses on him? Most certainly. With Malaga's quite public financial problems and their insistence to sell Cazorla and Isco perhaps Liverpool could buy those and fund it by selling Carroll.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Do you have a source for that stat? Because if true, that's pretty interesting. Would raise questions over the assertion that Liverpool never cross it to him or play to his strengths.

shivamLM

Cricket Spectator
Do you have a source for that stat? Because if true, that's pretty interesting. Would raise questions over the assertion that Liverpool never cross it to him or play to his strengths.
Yeah it is a twitter link https://twitter.com/WhoScored/statuses/222617063120838656 but the people who run this twitter account run the website whoscored.com (a football statistics website). Which is why I believe Downing isn't that bad and the reason he doesn't have as many assists as he should is because of Carroll.

Scaly piscine

Given Liverpool just tend to loft it aimlessly towards the box from stupid angles I doubt the headers were particularly good chances and he probably had little option but to go for goal given there'll rarely be anybody to set-up either.