• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well there's the sort of player who would go out to hurt Ronaldo, and the sort of player who would go out to hurt actual people. But I don't think there are many cases of someone tackling purely to injure another player at all. That's the most obvious one I can think of, in fact.

EDIT: wait, no. Remembered Ben Thatcher on Pedro Mendes.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea because it's not like I already stated that he was billed AS A GOALSCORER AND TARGET-MAN.

GOALSCORERS SCORE GOALS. THAT'S WHY GOALS MIGHT JUST ****ING BE A CRITICALLY IMPORTANT STAT.

IS IT GETTING THROUGH YET?
Target Man =/= Goal scorer. So only half your argument has any merit.
Yes because proportionally speaking being a good target-man is clearly worth 20+ goals a season...

Drogba for instance is worth about 80 goals a season for Chelsea. If Ivory Coast did without him, maybe into three figures.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, as we say down The Emirates way.

Ploppy pants defending & keeping for the Scouse goal plus loads of possession with eff all chances. Was Rosicky's shot with about 5 minutes left the first on target? Sigh.

Extra million for Schwarzer a must, surely? Know he's 37 with one year only on a contract, but he's a feck sight better than anything we have.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes because proportionally speaking being a good target-man is clearly worth 20+ goals a season...
Not all of those goals he's responsible for will be scored by him though.

Drogba's a freak because he's like 2 strikers at once. He can play both the bullying "rough up the centre halfs, win the ball, hold it up and bring others into play" role, and either create goals for himself, or be the central focal point and finish moves.

edit: incidentally, Drogba's record in France was 1 goal every 3 games.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, you don't get it. He's not that sort of player.
What do you want, worldwide condemnation of Joe Cole? He got sent off and will miss three games, nobody got hurt etc. He made a risky tackle with no intent behind it, if you think people acknowledging that is some sort of crime then I don't know what to say.

Jarquis

Ploppy pants defending & keeping for the Scouse goal plus loads of possession with eff all chances. Was Rosicky's shot with about 5 minutes left the first on target? Sigh.

Extra million for Schwarzer a must, surely? Know he's 37 with one year only on a contract, but he's a feck sight better than anything we have.
Vermaelen had a free kick saved early doors.

social

They splurge on a manager but wont spend relative chicken feed on a guy that can stop the ball getting the ball into the net far more effectively than their current hacks

Something smells IMO

Jarquis

What do you want, worldwide condemnation of Joe Cole? He got sent off and will miss three games, nobody got hurt etc. He made a risky tackle with no intent behind it, if you think people acknowledging that is some sort of crime then I don't know what to say.
Well Koscielny got hurt enough to need a stretcher and the tackle should be judged on the basis of the tackle, not on the basis of the result of the tackle or the player committing the tackle.
It was a bad tackle, it deserved a red card and that's all that needed to be said really. But instead people feel the need to mention how "he's not that sort of player". **** off. If he wasn't that sort of player he wouldn't make challenges like that, or the Ronaldo one for that matter.
Not sure how can decide if there's no intent either.

But yeah, I'd much prefer worldwide chastised Cole for his actions rather than tell us all how he's such a nice guy.

FMD, I swear Derrick Bird's neighbours said "he seemed like a nice bloke, hadn't done anything before".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well Koscielny got hurt enough to need a stretcher and the tackle should be judged on the basis of the tackle, not on the basis of the result of the tackle or the player committing the tackle.
It was a bad tackle, it deserved a red card and that's all that needed to be said really. But instead people feel the need to mention how "he's not that sort of player". **** off. If he wasn't that sort of player he wouldn't make challenges like that, or the Ronaldo one for that matter.
Not sure how can decide if there's no intent either.

But yeah, I'd much prefer worldwide chastised Cole for his actions rather than tell us all how he's such a nice guy.

FMD, I swear Derrick Bird's neighbours said "he seemed like a nice bloke, hadn't done anything before".
He's watching the ball the whole time, that's how I've determined his intent.

The Derick Bird thing is really poor Marcuss, you are better than that.

Villa Park you mean.
Facepalm

Jarquis

He's watching the ball the whole time, that's how I've determined his intent.
He's lunged in with two feet, it's not like it's an accident that he's done that. He may not have directly intedned to poleaxe Koscielny, but it's a direct consequence of his decision to put in a ****ing stupid tackle. There's intent in the challenge and the near-injury was a consequence of that.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Genuine question: How did a player like Joe Cole manage to just fall out of the Chelsea squad, not get a game in the world cup and settle with a mediocre side like Liverpool?

Also, I think Liverpool have a chance at the league this season :ph34r:
Got injured. Was mediocre on return. Form didn't improve for England I guess. Chelsea going with youth so he gets released.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The fact Maradona's a horrible manager so it makes sense that Villa's rivals who play at St Andrews, would wish him to be their manager.
Ah was going with the angle that Villa would want him because he's a big name and would get players in to improve their squad.