• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Redbacks

International Captain
Thoughts on Blackpool:

Blackpool haven't done too well against the teams at the top but as long as they can beat the teams around them they've a good chance of staying up. :ph34r:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Damn does anyone know of or remember a striker having such a superb goal-scoring record againts single opposition, like Drogba vs Arsenal?.

IIRC Messi has something similar vs Athletico Madrid, but I'm not totally sure.

...Anyway looking ahead to ENGs squad selection 2moro, this is what I hope Capello picks (presuming he picks a 23 man squad):

GK:

1. Hart
2. Foster
3. Stockdale/Harper

DEF:

4. Terry
5. Ferdinand
6. Jaigelka
7. Lescott
8. A Cole
9. Gibbs/Baines (unless Capello wants to let Gibbs stay with the under 21s)
10. Johnson (would have dropped him for Richards, if Micah had played this weekend vs Newcastle)

MID:

11. Gerrard
12. Barry
13. Milner
14. A Johnson
15. Wilshire
16. Parker
17. A Young
18. Lennon
19. J Cole

FOR:

20. Rooney
21. Bent
22. Caroll
23. Crouch/Owen (although I know Capello won't pick Owen disappointingly. But with Defoe out, having a a second short striker along with Rooney would give to strike options some variety)

So wish Bale was English ATM, DEAR GOD its Giggs part 2. Imagine him and Johnson flying down the flanks for England, that would have been superb...why godddd!!

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Good to see how up on current football you are there, picking Steve Harper.

Also, if we're in for outlandish rule-breaking wishing I reckon we could go better than Bale - someone like Casillas would be nice, how I wish he was English.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
They missed the point where he was left a disjoined shambles of a squad by his predecessor, with no real money to put things right.
He was left a team good enough to come runner-up and become #1 in Europe and is losing to Northampton and Blackpool at home.

Anyone arguing this squad isn't good enough loses credibility, instantly. We're in the ****ing relegation zone for ****s sakes.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's like we only have like 30 Englishmen in total who play football and a handful of them are injured. What does Wright-Phillips have to do to be dumped out of the squad?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see how up on current football you are there, picking Steve Harper.

Also, if we're in for outlandish rule-breaking wishing I reckon we could go better than Bale - someone like Casillas would be nice, how I wish he was English.
I simply didn't realise Harper didn't play this weekend & took for granted that he is playing all the time, given i dont pay keen attention to the magpies. But of course that is not acceptable for your perfect standards, of being 100% precise on the position of every single English player, at every given time during a season. SMH

Plus i dont know what your blabbing about any "outlandish rule breaking wish" about saying i wish Bale was English. This may not be your POV on various CWers, but everyone i know outside this CW bubble wishes Bale was English ATM.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I simply didn't realise Harper didn't play this weekend & took for granted that he is playing all the time, given i dont pay keen attention to the magpies. But of course that is not acceptable for your perfect standards, of being 100% precise on the position of every single English player, at every given time during a season. SMH

Plus i dont know what your blabbing about any "outlandish rule breaking wish" about saying i wish Bale was English. This may not be your POV on various CWers, but everyone i know outside this CW bubble wishes Bale was English ATM.
I wish David Villa was English too. And Xavi, and Cristiano Ronaldo, and Lionel Messi.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It's like we only have like 30 Englishmen in total who play football and a handful of them are injured. What does Wright-Phillips have to do to be dumped out of the squad?
Yea its obviously distgusting. But i wonder if he was just selected for the sake of it, since Milner seems injured.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I simply didn't realise Harper didn't play this weekend & took for granted that he is playing all the time, given i dont pay keen attention to the magpies.
If you don't pay attention enough to realise he's out for 3 months or more with a shoulder ligament injury, I question how you can say he's good enough to be picked.

As for the wishing people were English, I'd quite like Kaka to be.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If you don't pay attention enough to realise he's out for 3 months or more with a shoulder ligament injury, I question how you can say he's good enough to be picked.

The last live game i saw Newcastle play vs Villa when Caroll scored a hat-trick he was playing & i liked the look of him in that Villa game & the season opener vs United as well.

I heard no reports that he out with such a injury, simply have taken for granted that he was been keeping for them all the while since.

marc71178 said:
sledger said:
You don't say...

I wish David Villa was English too. And Xavi, and Cristiano Ronaldo, and Lionel Messi.
The usual useless posts from you two. A common trend on CW over the last 5 years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So what's the difference between Bale and the players we've named then?

And how do you justify calling for someone to be picked when you don't even know if they're fit or not, let alone if they're actually playing well?!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So what's the difference between Bale and the players we've named then?
Ha. I dont have to explain this since the difference is quite obvious, you two are just making yourselves harrasingly difficult as usual.

And how do you justify calling for someone to be picked when you don't even know if they're fit or not, let alone if they're actually playing well?!
Point proven again. I just told your hard headed self that i took for granted that Harper was playing all the time this season, after impressing me early this season in the few live newcastle that i saw.

All you had to say was 'aussie Harper is out for 3 months with a shoulder injury", i would have accepted my mistake & the thread could move on. But as usual you mean to make yourself a pain & thus this thread has been sidecracked for ridiculous reasons.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ha. I dont have to explain this since the difference is quite obvious, you two are just making yourselves harrasingly difficult as usual.

Point proven again. I just told your hard headed self that i took for granted that Harper was playing all the time this season, after impressing me early this season in the few live newcastle that i saw.

All you had to say was 'aussie Harper is out for 3 months with a shoulder injury", i would have accepted my mistake & the thread could move on. But as usual you mean to make yourself a pain & thus this thread has been sidecracked for ridiculous reasons.
Can't or won't? For as far as I can see, there is no difference between Gareth Bale and the players we have named in terms of their eligibilty to play for England.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was left a team good enough to come runner-up and become #1 in Europe and is losing to Northampton and Blackpool at home.

Anyone arguing this squad isn't good enough loses credibility, instantly. We're in the ****ing relegation zone for ****s sakes.
:laugh:

Certainly good enough to come 7th though so he's about ten places too low.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kevin Davies is pretty useful. Don't really think there's any point getting uppity about his lack of subtletly.

Definitely a better pick than Owen would have been anyway.