• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Off Season 2011/12

Jacknife

International Captain
County news: Jason Gillespie named Yorkshire coach | England Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Happy to get Dizzy back at Headingley this time in a coaching role though, something had to be done after last year and hopefully this will turn out to be a good appointment along with the other new coaches. In the interview's he's done about coaching since he retired he's impressed me, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Interestingly Farbrace has taken the Second XI coach job as he was the director of cricket at Kent as well as assistant for SL,bit of a step down for him.

Not too sure about Jaques, his form had been poor to say the least and the last 2 years he's played in England he's only managed to average 31.
He went really well when he was with us years ago but obviously he's not quite the player he was then. We do need more experience in the line up and a new opener is an area where we went missing last year but still don't know if he's the answer. Hopefully he can pass on some experience to young Root and find some form for us.

Woodster

International Captain
County news: Jason Gillespie named Yorkshire coach | England Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Happy to get Dizzy back at Headingley this time in a coaching role though, something had to be done after last year and hopefully this will turn out to be a good appointment along with the other new coaches. In the interview's he's done about coaching since he retired he's impressed me, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Interestingly Farbrace has taken the Second XI coach job as he was the director of cricket at Kent as well as assistant for SL,bit of a step down for him.

Not too sure about Jaques, his form had been poor to say the least and the last 2 years he's played in England he's only managed to average 31.
He went really well when he was with us years ago but obviously he's not quite the player he was then. We do need more experience in the line up and a new opener is an area where we went missing last year but still don't know if he's the answer. Hopefully he can pass on some experience to young Root and find some form for us.
Very surprised by the appointment of Paul Farbrace in Second XI coach capacity, it does seem like a step down and would have thought he'd have had more attractive offers on the table. Still, can only be a good thing for Yorkshire.

Jaques of the mid 2000 era would have been an excellent addition, but as you say, his form's been patchy at best by his own excellent standards. The form issue would be a concern if it has come as a direct result of his injury problems, but presumably he believes his fitness will be fine having signed for the full season, and a full English season will certainly test his body.

Don't know too much about Jason Gillespie's coaching style, have read one or two interviews of his since he entered the coaching business, he talks well, no doubt about that for me. He's very keen and I'm sure very determined to succeed in whichever role he takes on. He has experience of Yorkshire and domestic English cricket, is young and will be enthusiastic, strikes me as being pretty laid-back too.

Flem274*

123/5
Finn had a forgettable match. Only got the one chance to bowl, and didn't capitalise on it. His twenty overs were economical though.

brockley

International Captain
According to the online telegraph,phil jaques has signed as a kolpak under his british passport,wonder how many aussies will follow him.

Woodster

International Captain
We've had talks with Taylor apparently but I doubt we'll be able to afford him if Notts can't
Probably depends on how much compensation they're after. Wages could be an issue, as you'd expect for a very promising youngster who's in demand from a few counties he will command a fair wedge, but I don't blame Leicester for digging in their heels and trying to secure a fair fee for losing their top batsman while he's still in contract.

It's like a transfer system I suppose, and it's normally the clubs that get stung by players walking away and the counties that have invested so much get very little by way of compensation.

davidgdafter

Cricket Spectator
Interesting to see that Phil Mustard will be joining up with Zimbabwean Twenty20 side 'Mountaineers' to do some coaching with the youth and senior squad as well as getting in some time in the middle as well.

Mustard was the club's top player in T20 last season, so hopefully this trip will end up benefiting Durham next season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Interesting to see that Phil Mustard will be joining up with Zimbabwean Twenty20 side 'Mountaineers' to do some coaching with the youth and senior squad as well as getting in some time in the middle as well.

Mustard was the club's top player in T20 last season, so hopefully this trip will end up benefiting Durham next season.
Already joined a played a game; hit a ton opening. :p

Howe_zat

Audio File
Quite a few of the younger Black Caps playing county cricket since last year - Guptill, Southee, Williamson. Wonder if it's being actively encouraged/instructed in the NZ camp.

Howsie

International Captain
Quite a few of the younger Black Caps playing county cricket since last year - Guptill, Southee, Williamson. Wonder if it's being actively encouraged/instructed in the NZ camp.
Yeah, especially by John Wright. He helped setup Guptill's stint a Derbyshire last season while New Zealand cricket put Williamson forward as a potential pick up for Gloucestershire.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only way I can see 14 games working is to get rid of 2 First Class counties, I can't think of another way to do that other than having a lopsided fixture list.
That'll never happen .......................... will it?

More likely they'll add Scotland Ireland and Holland and split them into three divisions of 7, call it 12 games and add a bit more hit and giggle nonsense