• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Cricket 2012

stumpski

International Captain
Meh, I can trump that. Fell asleep sitting on the living-room floor on Friday night. Woke up, saw a full drink next to me, took the hint and put it back in the bottle. :laugh:

Bit sad to read all that about Ramps, btw. Really hope he makes this his last season, and that he gets a farewell hundred or two. Just the one last year.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't remember a more rain effected week than this, still got a hosepipe bam of course (best Daily Mail voice)

WorcsRoyal

School Boy/Girl Captain
I hope Richardon doesn't get selected, otherwise we'd be screwed.

There's no way he'd be picked anyway. As someone said on another page, he's not fashionable.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I hope Richardon doesn't get selected, otherwise we'd be screwed.

There's no way he'd be picked anyway. As someone said on another page, he's not fashionable.
There's nothing about him being unfashionable, there's no ****ing way he should be selected for the lions or the full team. He's 37 in less than a week, has played one full season of county cricket, by his own admission earlier in his career "Cricket was almost in the way of me having a good time.".

It's basically taken him until he's 35,36,37 to get it right - does that not tell you something about him. He'll have retired in a year or two.

And on top of that england have 3 of the best bowlers have had in recent times and a number of very decent backups. but lets bring in Richardson for Anderson ..;.

rant over.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/about-ecb/....otherobjects.cms.model.structure.Folder-L-10

Amendment to England qualification rules

The ECB today announced that the regulations defining qualification for England male cricketers have been amended with immediate effect.

The key provisions are as follows:

All players who are already qualified for England will remain so - provided they continue to meet the existing regulations.

All players who begin residence in England or Wales before their 18th birthday will need to complete a residence period of four consecutive years.

Players who begin residence in England or Wales after their 18th birthday will need to complete a residence period of seven consecutive years. *

* At the ECB’s discretion, this provision can be reduced to four years for those players who have come to England and Wales from non-ICC full member countries or commenced residency in England and Wales before April 25 2012.

The full details of the new regulations are available at: www.ecb.co.uk/first-class-regulations-and-playing-conditions-2012
http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/about-ecb/....otherobjects.cms.model.structure.Folder-L-10

Seems a bit overboard to me

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wowee. So, hypothetically, what effect would this have had on Pietersen and/or Trott?

Be interesting to see if someone in the situation of a Kieswetter would make the jump earlier to ensure they were under 18 when they made the move.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Just think, had they applied that years ago, KP wouldn't have made his england debut until 2008, if ever. Can see why they're doing it, but I doubt there'd be too many who come to England after their 18 who will get a dig after waiting 7 years, but you never know.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Wowee. So, hypothetically, what effect would this have had on Pietersen and/or Trott?

Be interesting to see if someone in the situation of a Kieswetter would make the jump earlier to ensure they were under 18 when they made the move.
I reckon you'd get a lot more people moving at 16 or 17. The 18-21 bracket was probably the most popular as people would go to England to make a career once they'd left education.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Not that they are even close to selections for lions or england but my mind wondered to Ballance and Robson.

I'd assume Ballance has already qualified having spent probably ~ 6 years in the UK since he went to school at Harrow.

Robson I'd have no idea when he came over here 2008 maybe and probably is more problematic although he does have a british mother and wikipedia tells me he finishes his qualification in 2014 which sounds about right.

Robson should be just about ready to suitably wind up the Australia come the 2015 ashes.

Cook (Gloucester, UK)
Robson (Sydney, Aus)
Trott (Cape Town,SA)
Pietersen (Pietermaritzburg, SA)
Ballance (Harare, ZIM)
Stokes (Christchurch, NZ)
Prior ( Jo'burg, SA)

looks the ideal batting order by then. :D:D

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Isn't this a tad dodgy? The ECB is, in essence, treating British subjects as second class citizens.

The four year rule for overseas-born Brits (not required by the ICC) was only allowed to stand (as one understands) because it predated the EU equality legislation.

LIke the porverbial flasher's todger, I'm not sure it'll stand up in court. Maybe one of our legal bods could give their opinion?

Jacknife

International Captain
Isn't this a tad dodgy? The ECB is, in essence, treating British subjects as second class citizens.

The four year rule for overseas-born Brits (not required by the ICC) was only allowed to stand (as one understands) because it predated the EU equality legislation.

LIke the porverbial flasher's todger, I'm not sure it'll stand up in court. Maybe one of our legal bods could give their opinion?
Yes soon as I read it I thought the same.

Jacknife

International Captain

Think Trott came over in 2002, so 2009 would have been about right for 7 years qualification, although he did play a couple of Twenty20 games in 2007 before that.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure it will be fine, they have random eligibility rules in football, I'm sure it would have been challenged there if it were likely to be won.

EU White Paper on Sport said:
In its Walrave, Donà and Bosman rulings, the ECJ recognised an exception to the principle of free movement of sportsmen for reasons which are not of an economic nature. This exception refers in particular to the selection of national teams.
The composition of national teams is inherent in the organisation of competitions opposing national teams. Rules concerning the composition of national teams, in particular rules that exclude non-national sportspeople from national teams, have been considered as rules that do not infringe the Treaty's free movement provisions.[12]

http://ec.europa.eu/sport/white-paper/swd-the-organisation-of-sport_en.htm

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Either way the ECB do the selections so they can pick and choose who they like.

Even if it doesn't stand up in court it could still be used as a provision.

Also it keeps it at 4 years for players from non-test countries so in essence nothing has changed in regards to the EU I'd have thought.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

But in the case of Kes he was in the UK going to school while still representing RSA U19. He started playing for Somerset second XI in 2006 at the age 17/18.

Likes of Kes, Trott and KP up until their late teens and beyond were either still apart of RSA representative sides or still harboured international ambitions with the Republic. Being disillusioned with the system and getting rejected won't happen to most sixteen year old kids, particularly when they are still in school and cricket still isn't serious.

Jacknife

International Captain
It's gone back to the Graeme Hick days of 7 years qualification, I can see why they've done it but I doubt it will change anything much.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How the **** are Warwickshire the same odds as Durham in a straight County Championship game between the two?

Without Woakes Durham should be massive favourites.