• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Cricket 2012

Jacknife

International Captain
Shahzad is being an over-rated, under-performing shallum shocker.

To be fair we aren't going to come across many opening combinations better than Key/Newman in Division II but that attack looks extremely Sidebottom-reliant. Pryah is not good enough to bowl first change, especially in a side without a top class spinner, and as for Shahzad.. well see the first line of this post.
Yes, since he got injured he just hasn't looked the same bowler, I watched him live a few times last year and he seems to be trying to bowl that bit too fast and as a consequence he keeps dropping it short. It's almost as if he's having a bit of trouble with his action and the ball isn't quite coming out like it should.

Obviously the absence of Bres leaves a huge hole in the attack but Yorkshire are looking for a big year from the two opening bowlers, with either Ashraf or Patterson doing the 3 seamer role, even though they're not in today.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why did Kent sign Nash as their overseas player? Surely their budgetary issues aren't that bad?

Spikey

Number of overs bowled by Philander so far: 1
Number of wickets taken by Philander so far: 1

Spikey

ECB too cheap to do streams iirc

hey PEWS where's the philander comp damnit

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Key must have been going hungry recently what with the pasty tax, shame he's run out for 97.

Pyrah and Wardlaw 18-0-98-0. This guy Wardlaw is a park medium pacer they picked form sunday league cricket, he's not even young.

Are Ashraf, OHD, Patterson all injured?

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Apparently Dizzy picked Wardlaw because he bowled really well on tour in the Caribbean and got the nod ahead of Patto and Ashraf for the first match. The guy's got enough pace for this level, operates around low 80's but from the couple of times I watched him last year he isn't good enough for this level and isn't a patch on Ashraf who always looks a real talent when I've seen him.

There's been rumors doing the rounds, as there has been for the past couple of years that we're looking to bring in a overseas pace bowler to partner Siddy and then when Bres comes back, along with Shahzad it will look the pretty good, then again a attack of Siddy Shahzad, Ashraf, Rashid and Bresnan should be the best in Div 2 anyway.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Apparently Dizzy picked Wardlaw because he bowled really well on tour in the Caribbean and got the nod ahead of Patto and Ashraf for the first match. .
Oh wow. Assumed Ashraf was injured. Don't really know enough about Wardlaw to comment but Ashraf should definitely be ahead of Pyrah regardless. Pyrah can bat (in fact his batting's probably as good if not better than his bowling) but when you have Rashid and Shahzad as part of your attack then you shouldn't really need to think too much about the batting of the other blokes. Sidebottom had a good year with the bat last season as well.

Woodster

International Captain
Decent first day for Essex, ticked along all day at a decent rate, helped by Wheater's speedy half-century, yet the innings held together by Billy Godleman who made 130. Helpful cameos in the mid-lower order from Smith, Foster and Napier also.

Essex's four-man seam attack should hopefully cause one or two problems for Gloucester especially first thing with the new ball and the metronomic Masters.

Chubb

International Regular
Anyone know why Coughtrie opens for Gloucs? Never seen him play but always got the impression he wasn't up to it last season, and isn't ****bain an opener?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Anyone know why Coughtrie opens for Gloucs? Never seen him play but always got the impression he wasn't up to it last season, and isn't ****bain an opener?
Coughtrie's a bit more of a grinder and Gloucestershires approach last year was to grind it out from the top of the order. When I saw ****bain bat last year he struck me as more talented and with a wider array of shots. So even though ****bain is the better bat and Coughtrie doesn't score many runs they're probably in the right position.

I know South Africa were worried about Philanders workload and meant to be in communication with Somerset but with the rest of the crap that Somerset have as bowlers I'm not quite sure how they don't bowl Philander into the ground.

50 overs into the game and Philander's already bowled 20 overs and taken 5 wickets at taunton.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sam Robson decides he's English.

& Opens with a duck.

After I drafted him into my English domestic draft team.

These events must be connected somehow.