• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England\UK off-season 2008/09 \ build-up to 2009 season thread

Craig

World Traveller
Murray goodwin needs to get a work pemit to play for sussex this year,maybe blocked by the ECB.
I thought he might have qualified for a British passport by now?

On another note I see Stuart Clark is looking for a short term County stint, I hope no county signs him up, it would be like (say) Queensland signing Kevin Pietersen in the lead up to the next Ashes in Australia.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought he might have qualified for a British passport by now?
No, he doesn't. He has played for enough years in England to be able to qualify to play as a local, but has not spent enough days in England each year to do so.

My understanding is that he's ok to play in 2009 but it will be in 2010 that he will have work permit problems.

Craig

World Traveller
No, he doesn't. He has played for enough years in England to be able to qualify to play as a local, but has not spent enough days in England each year to do so.

My understanding is that he's ok to play in 2009 but it will be in 2010 that he will have work permit problems.
Fair enough. I figured he just stayed in England all year round (BTW how days per year does he must spend in England as a bear minumum?).

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's bare minimum. :p And it's 183 days IIRR - half a year. For a (consecutive?) period of 3 years.

Anyway, Goodwin's, what, 36 now? He surely won't be wanting to play for that much longer anyway, now he has the ICL. Most players retire from First-Class cricket at around that sort of age.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
That's bare minimum. :p And it's 183 days IIRR - half a year. For a (consecutive?) period of 3 years.

Anyway, Goodwin's, what, 36 now? He surely won't be wanting to play for that much longer anyway, now he has the ICL. Most players retire from First-Class cricket at around that sort of age.
No, he does want to play on into 2010 (and perhaps beyond), and Sussex want him to as well. I could tell you more, but I'd have to kill you if I did.

Woodster

International Captain
Thought I'd bring this thread back.
Recent overseas signings have seen Phil Hughes given an opportunity to find some form and familiarise himself with English conditions, thanks to Middlesex.

While Surrey have secured the signing of New Zealand international Grant Elliott for the first half of the season. Will be interested to see how he goes, will no doubt be a fairly handy addition to the one-day side, but it's his County Championship credentials I'll look forward to monitoring.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Recent overseas signings have seen Phil Hughes given an opportunity to find some form and familiarise himself with English conditions, thanks to Middlesex.

While Surrey have secured the signing of New Zealand international Grant Elliott for the first half of the season. Will be interested to see how he goes, will no doubt be a fairly handy addition to the one-day side, but it's his County Championship credentials I'll look forward to monitoring.
good old times when Elliot used to spend his summers at a crappy club in in Holland.

giving excellent coaching I must add.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

I heard that on BBC radio. They said “Surrey sign quality international all-rounder” and I got thinking who could that be and ten seconds later I thought, they have only gone and signed Mitchell Johnson. :sleep: Imagine him in county division two...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Stu clark signed for kent.
Top signing. Kent have got a good (by county standards) attack (Clark, McLaren, Saggers, Joseph, Khan :ph34r:, Mahmood, Cook, Stevens, van Jaarsveld :laugh:) and something will have to go drastically wrong for them not to get promotion.

Woodster

International Captain
Stu clark signed for kent.
Another indication of England playing the perfect hosts ahead of the Ashes. Take one vital Australian seamer and ensure they get a good viewing of how he can cope with longer versions of the game, hit the right lengths on English tracks, and then duly run through our batting line-up! You can't say we don't look after our guests.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Another indication of England playing the perfect hosts ahead of the Ashes. Take one vital Australian seamer and ensure they get a good viewing of how he can cope with longer versions of the game, hit the right lengths on English tracks, and then duly run through our batting line-up! You can't say we don't look after our guests.
This is good play by Australia and Clark to arrange this but England should absolutely not be allowing this. Counties should be subserviant of the ECB and if the ECB says no, the counties should oblige. However, we do not know of the ECB's role in this but I'd hope they would veto such a move, if it were possible.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This is good play by Australia and Clark to arrange this but England should absolutely not be allowing this. Counties should be subserviant of the ECB and if the ECB says no, the counties should oblige. However, we do not know of the ECB's role in this but I'd hope they would veto such a move, if it were possible.
The Counties are older than the ECB and the counties control the ECB.

Yorkshire winning the CC in 2001 was more important to me than any England win apart from Ashes 2005

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The preseason games start this week. Moores starts his stint at Lancs taking on Sussex on thursday. Few players missing from the squad (Anderson, Flintoff obv, Du Plessis & Prince in SA, Croft in NZ) but still a decent side

Looks like

Horton
Loye
Brown/Shankar
Chilton
Cross
Sutton
Hogg
Chapple
Smith
Newby
Keedy

with Cheetham, Kerrigan, Parry and Mullaney getting at least a game each as well. Batting is not great especially for OD cricket but our best OD players are really missing from that line up. It's pretty make or break early doors for Mal Loye, probably his last year and a poor trot could finish him off, had a bad year last year.

My OD team for the start of the season

Horton/Chilton/Brown
Loye
Prince
Du Plessis
Croft
Cross
Hogg
Chapple
Smith
Cheetham
Keedy

won't happen though...Mahmood will get in there and probably Newby as well. Hopefully we'll keep Cross in as wk in OD but moores might go back to Sutton.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The Counties are older than the ECB and the counties control the ECB.

Yorkshire winning the CC in 2001 was more important to me than any England win apart from Ashes 2005
Dave,

How would a Lancs CC win compare to an England series victory? Bigger than anything but he Ashes?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Dave,

How would a Lancs CC win compare to an England series victory? Bigger than anything but he Ashes?
yeah pretty much it probably goes something like

Ashes>CC Win>Roses FC Win>Test Series Win>WC>LO Win over Yorkshire>OD Trophy Win>ODI Series Win>anything twenty20

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lancashire seconds comfortably defeat Sussex firsts in Abu Dhabi - I can see the Championship pennant fluttering over the pavilion at OT already :)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Horts score some runs, needs to step up his OD game this year...seems the only way he'll get noticed by England is to score runs in a one off televised OD game.

Tom Smith getting a couple of wickets as well, sweet