• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England\UK off-season 2008/09 \ build-up to 2009 season thread

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Fly Emirates XI falling a little short in their chase against Lancashire despite a lower order fightback. Hundred for Mullaney opening the batting for Lancs and 5 wickets for Cheetham.

Lancashire 262-5 beat Fly Emirates XI 48 by 214 runs

Sets up a Roses 'Friendly' on Wednesday.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Nel has retired from international cricket and signed a three-year Kolpak deal with Surrey. I thought they'd got rid of the whole Kolpak thing.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well Stuart Law has signed with Derbyshire for the 20/20 and OD games, so they are obviously not bothered about the ICL, probably think they've no chance of getting in to the Champions league anyway.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Just had an almight shock looking at the Lancs forum...a topic entitled 'Jason Krejza to play in Lancashire Team' luckily it turns out he's playing for Lowerhouse in the CLL. :lol:

FBU

International Debutant
Amjad Khan unlikely to start the season. Gone home from the West Indies with a knee problem on the same knee that he had the operation on.

Woodster

International Captain
Just had an almight shock looking at the Lancs forum...a topic entitled 'Jason Krejza to play in Lancashire Team' luckily it turns out he's playing for Lowerhouse in the CLL. :lol:
:laugh:That's fortunate!

Lancs have finalised their pre-season games at O.T., two days against Yorkshire (7th and 9th April), and a one-dayer against Derbyshire on the 10th.

Free entry, think I'll be popping down to a couple of days of that.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Looking forward to taking in a bit at the Parks this pre-season. Worcester and Glamorgan at the end of the road during the holidays.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Leicestershire chairman is reacting with horror that a county might play an Australian this summer. This is the same Leicestershire who regularly played six non-English qualified players in their first team last year. A bit bizarre.

Woodster

International Captain
Leicestershire chairman is reacting with horror that a county might play an Australian this summer. This is the same Leicestershire who regularly played six non-English qualified players in their first team last year. A bit bizarre.
It does seem to come across ok for Leicester to do it and wrong if other counties do it. However, the fact is that this will have a direct effect on England's prospects of winning the Ashes, by allowing the Australians basically fitness tests ahead of the clash. As the Leicester Chief Exec says, if there was a reciprocal agreement fair enough, but no chance of NSW allowing any of our players time to prepare. Should Leicester continually select a large number of players not qualified for England, then his comments should be better thought out.

On the Leicestershire selection policy, to their credit they are one of the leading counties when it comes to promising England players within their squad. The number of Kolpaks they employed can be viewed in differnt ways, yes it was wrong to be selecting so many players not qualified for England, but it was a short-term measure to bring on the younger players, who are now coming through, and you do get far more value for money!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Guess it remains to be seen whether the likes of Buck, Cobb, Smith and Taylor push on at Leicestershire or whether they disappear or move either to more fashionable counties or for more opportunity. Certainly the new season will give us indications as to Leicestershire pretentions to provide players for England as these players should be playing plenty of games this season. Its all very well having a good youth setup and bringing through U19 players but the next step to FC regular is usually a lot tougher one.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This "Australians playing for counties" issue wouldn’t arise if touring teams had a fixture list which allowed them to play some competitive cricket outside the internationals which, dare I say it, in days of yore used to be the case.

This year the Australians have a four day game against what will doubtless be an “experimental” Sussex side, a three day game against the mighty Northants and a two day practice match against Kent and that I believe is it– they could no doubt press for more fixtures but looking at the county sides put out against them on recent tours and the bizarre looking MCC side that was fielded against them in 2001 I can well understand that they take the view there is no point.

My view is that a touring side is entitled to some decent cricket by way of practice and if, as seems to be the case, their players turning out for counties is the only way they can achieve that, then we reap what we sow.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Lancs used to put out a decent side to play touring test sides but we haven't had a FC match agasint one since we beat the Aussies in 93....we played them in 89 as well i think and lost but the attack included Patrick Patterson and Wasim Akram so i'd guess that was a decent warm up for them

Woodster

International Captain
This "Australians playing for counties" issue wouldn’t arise if touring teams had a fixture list which allowed them to play some competitive cricket outside the internationals which, dare I say it, in days of yore used to be the case.

This year the Australians have a four day game against what will doubtless be an “experimental” Sussex side, a three day game against the mighty Northants and a two day practice match against Kent and that I believe is it– they could no doubt press for more fixtures but looking at the county sides put out against them on recent tours and the bizarre looking MCC side that was fielded against them in 2001 I can well understand that they take the view there is no point.

My view is that a touring side is entitled to some decent cricket by way of practice and if, as seems to be the case, their players turning out for counties is the only way they can achieve that, then we reap what we sow.
I don't blame the Australians for seeking some competitive cricket, not at all. It's the counties I blame, they are simply looking after their short-terms gains.

Woodster

International Captain
Guess it remains to be seen whether the likes of Buck, Cobb, Smith and Taylor push on at Leicestershire or whether they disappear or move either to more fashionable counties or for more opportunity. Certainly the new season will give us indications as to Leicestershire pretentions to provide players for England as these players should be playing plenty of games this season. Its all very well having a good youth setup and bringing through U19 players but the next step to FC regular is usually a lot tougher one.
Naturally potential is one thing, proven performances in first-class cricket is a whole different ball game. But having the potential and hope for building a home grown nucleus in the side with improving young players is a decent place to start. Time will tell.

Woodster

International Captain
Very good MCC side selected for the season opener against Durham. Key vs Bell vs Vaughan arguably for the England no. 3 slot (Shah needless to say will be in the mix). Players such as Foster, Moore, Kabir Ali, Mahmood and Rashid will hope to continue to impress and make performances that will enhance calls for their England selections. While chances to dazzle for Woakes, Westley and Finn. A good side for all reasons.

MCC 1 Robert Key, 2 Stephen Moore, 3 Michael Vaughan, 4 Ian Bell, 5 Adil Rashid, 6 Chris Woakes, 7 James Foster, 8 Tom Westley, 9 Sajid Mahmood, 10 Steven Finn, 11 Kabir Ali

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Very good MCC side selected for the season opener against Durham. Key vs Bell vs Vaughan arguably for the England no. 3 slot (Shah needless to say will be in the mix). Players such as Foster, Moore, Kabir Ali, Mahmood and Rashid will hope to continue to impress and make performances that will enhance calls for their England selections. While chances to dazzle for Woakes, Westley and Finn. A good side for all reasons.

MCC 1 Robert Key, 2 Stephen Moore, 3 Michael Vaughan, 4 Ian Bell, 5 Adil Rashid, 6 Chris Woakes, 7 James Foster, 8 Tom Westley, 9 Sajid Mahmood, 10 Steven Finn, 11 Kabir Ali
Westley 6 and Woakes 8, surely?