• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Which is probably why I mentioned his England form too. But hey, forget I said anything.
His ENG form as i said has been as a winger in cameo apperances - he has been playing as a central-midfielder for Villa right now since Downing has returned.

I am not/nor should anyone ATS be convinced that new found versatily as mid-fielder is a CLEAR guide as to whether he a success at it at international level/or as guide as to whether he should picked in the WC squad.

Theirfore for now he should be considered for the WC squad based only on his strenghts which is as a "winger". He is behind Walcott/Lennon/Cole & Beckham in the pecking order for that role - theirfore he can't/shouldn't make the final 23 ahead of them. Simple.

May sound sacrilege, but Milner is better than Walcott, for mine. More consistent than Lennon
Milener is probably better defensively than both Theo & Lennon, but they are better going forward than Milner.

Looking at how ENG formation has evolved under Capello. Having Walcott or Lennon's pace starting on the right to run at defenders is far better is a tactic that clearly has worked & doesn't need changing.

and Beckham is not a winger.
Then what is he then?

Joe Cole, at his best, is one of my favourite players and a good option. But I like him on the left.
Well Cole for me can play either on left or right or an auxillary striker for ENG during the WC.

Heskey's done what he's been asked to do for England. The things that Heskey does - the intangible things - he does better than pretty much any other England-qualified option.

And all I'm asking for is that Joe Cole prove he hasn't losted (sic) anything. So what are you arguing about? Pick a personality and stick with it.

It's good that you admit the importance of Heskey so soon after slagging it off. ITSTL though.
I was never slagging it off, his importance is clear to everyone. I'm just putting it into proper perspective in comparison to Joe Cole, as to why Cole should walk back into the ENG squad..

Not as a winger.
Seem as if you haven't been watching Beckham in for ENG in recent times then. But anyway if you think Becks wont be a threat againts any opposition in the WC as a winger, be prepared to be shocked..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I came in here to respond and genuinely can't bothered repeating myself. Considering this surrender, if you will.

Jack88

Cricket Spectator
This is not MY team, but the general idea I believe Fabio has in his head right now excusing future injuries and stuff.

James, Hart, Green (Foster might be his boy, but yeah he's not jumping through hoops over him and Hart has performed seriously well, Foster is out)
Cole, Rio, Terry, Johnson, Lescott, Upson
Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Cole, Lennon, Beckham
Rooney, Heskey, Defoe, Walcott

As far I'm concerned that 19 is absolutely guaranteed barring weird circumstances of huge form drops/injuries.

I still believe he wants Hargreaves there if he gets back for Utd, he has spoken highly of him, and well he's very reliable at RB, probably even moreso than Johnson, as well as being a top DM performer in past World Cups, if he doesn't make it back than Carrick will come in clearly. You can write off Hargreaves chances completely if he doesn't play for Man Utd before March, but he's apparently in training now so that's good because I am a fan of him, and would like him there.

One of Milner/A Young is going, again being able to play everywhere will probably mean it's Milners spot

Another defender spot, this a bit tricky, if Hargreaves gets fit and is picked, then it'll probably be Jagielka, another who can play everywhere at the back but will be included as the 4th choice CB, and if it's Carrick, probably a more specialized RB like Wes Brown will be picked.

Your 4th out and out striker will be either Carlton or Crouch, end of. He's not taking Bent when Defoe is scoring better and the England are after like 5 years used to him and he's scoring for them as well. Owen isn't even in the equation to be honest, and he doesn't deserve to be, it's not really HIS fault, but he choose to play for Utd knowing he wouldn't be a regular.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, fortuantely I think Fabio's realised that Lescott is poor.
Indeed. Lescott & Jaigelka aren't international quality centre halves. I'd rather have Campbell over them (presuming he impresses at Arsenal in the coming months) as an option in the WC squad.

Its really sad how often King & Woodgate are always injured *sighs*

King Pietersen

International Captain
Jagielka is an international class centre back. I'm an Everton fan, so I've seen alot of him, and he is definitely good enough for England. He actually had a very good game for England against Spain, but all people seem to remember is him being undone by a brilliant piece of skill from David Villa. Lescott's hugely over-rated, think I remember Hughes massively hyping him after signing him for City, but Jagielka was always the better defender of the 2 in their time at Everton, just Lescott got more attention for scoring a few goals. I'd definitely have Jagielka in my 23 man squad, if he's fit anyway.

My Squad:

David James
Joe Hart
Robert Green

Glen Johnson
John Terry
Rio Ferdinand
Ashley Cole
Phil Jagielka
Matt Upson
Wayne Bridge

Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard
David Beckham
Gareth Barry
Joe Cole
Aaron Lennon
Theo Walcott
Ashley Young

Wayne Rooney
Jermaine Defoe
Peter Crouch
Emile Heskey
Michael Owen

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Saw that game againts Spain. I dont remember it just for how he was beaten by that tremedous link up play that lead to the Villa goal, but his overall performance. He certainly didn't look like a international quality defender at all IMO, too slow & not physical enough. I cringe imaging him having to deal with Torres, Drogba, Anelka if he were to have to play for ENG during the WC.

You compare him to someone like Upson who makes up for lack of pace with good stenght. Jagielka is just a solid premiership defender - nothing more TBH.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Still a better option than Campbell or King though. How anyone can consider picking either of those 2 is beyond me. King's a good defender, but he doesn't even train with Spurs and his knee could go at any time. There's no cartilage left in his knee, it's just bone on bone, and it takes him 7 days to recover from every match, which in a tournament that's run over a few weeks isn't good enough. He's just not fit enough to be picked for a major tournament.

I disagree with him being too slow and not physical enough as well. He's a very talented defender, and has really impressed me in the last couple of years. If he gets fit in the next couple of weeks, and stays fit for the rest of the season and plays like he has since he moved into centre half then he'd walk into my squad. Rate Jagielka very highly having watched so much of him.

Jack88

Cricket Spectator
Jagielka was outstanding for the most part up till his injury last season, right behind Vidic as the overall best CB of the season really. Pocketed pretty much everyone for a good two months as well(correct me here but I'm sure he also become a very rare defensive player of the month as well), not many people have truly stand out debuts for international especially when you're playing the best in the world, give him a break there.

Lescott might be having a howler season, but he's still a 5th choice CB option as well as being a better LB than Bridge, who is another having a howler. But still I'd be massively worried if Cole got injured, since he's the best on the planet, so hopefully neither play much anyway.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Jagielka was outstanding for the most part up till his injury last season, right behind Vidic as the overall best CB of the season really. Pocketed pretty much everyone for a good two months as well(correct me here but I'm sure he also become a very rare defensive player of the month as well), not many people have truly stand out debuts for international especially when you're playing the best in the world, give him a break there.
Yep, was brilliant last season. Player of the Month for February and then got our club player's player and fans player of the year as well. Aussie's obviously seen something everyone else has missed though.....:dry:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Still a better option than Campbell or King though.
ATM he is probably ahead of Campbell. But if Campbell can impress at Arsenal again, i take him given he has the international experience.

How anyone can consider picking either of those 2 is beyond me. King's a good defender, but he doesn't even train with Spurs and his knee could go at any time. There's no cartilage left in his knee, it's just bone on bone, and it takes him 7 days to recover from every match, which in a tournament that's run over a few weeks isn't good enough. He's just not fit enough to be picked for a major tournament.
I know all of this, but the bolded is the key point. King is not going to be 1st choice centre-back anyway - he is going to be one of two back-ups to Rio/Terry (Upson the likely next back-up). So surely at some point during the tournament he will be fit. My argument is when fit he is the best defender behind Rio/Terry, i would like to have him JUST in case we get far in a big game to replace one of them. Since watching him at Spurs when he is fit to play, he is still brilliant.

I disagree with him being too slow and not physical enough as well. He's a very talented defender, and has really impressed me in the last couple of years. If he gets fit in the next couple of weeks, and stays fit for the rest of the season and plays like he has since he moved into centre half then he'd walk into my squad. Rate Jagielka very highly having watched so much of him.
I saw a different Jagielka when he was looking good for Everton to the one i saw in the friendly againts Spain TBH, i remember it well since before his call-up for that friendly i thought he was becoming a potentially good option for ENG. So i personally struggle to rate him above just a solid premiership defender these days since that friendly.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Saw that game againts Spain. I dont remember it just for how he was beaten by that tremedous link up play that lead to the Villa goal, but his overall performance. He certainly didn't look like a international quality defender at all IMO, too slow & not physical enough. I cringe imaging him having to deal with Torres, Drogba, Anelka if he were to have to play for ENG during the WC.
Really? Is this the same player who kept Torres in his back pocket for the whole of the Cup game last year?

And Anelka? In some esteemed company there.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I know all of this, but the bolded is the key point. King is not going to be 1st choice centre-back anyway - he is going to be one of two back-ups to Rio/Terry (Upson the likely next back-up). So surely at some point during the tournament he will be fit. My argument is when fit he is the best defender behind Rio/Terry, i would like to have him JUST in case we get far in a big game to replace one of them. Since watching him at Spurs when he is fit to play, he is still brilliant.
If King was needed, both JT and Ferdinand would be out, as I'd say Upson's ahead of him in the pecking order. What happens if we have injuries or a multiple game suspension, and lose both first choice centre backs? It's not exactly likely, but it could happen, and if it did then we'd be screwed, as King would not be able to play 2 consecutive games in a tournament like the WC, due to his dodgy knees. I'm also a bit hesitant of picking a bloke that isn't even fit enough to train with the side as well.

I saw a different Jagielka when he was looking good for Everton to the one i saw in the friendly againts Spain TBH, i remember it well since before his call-up for that friendly i thought he was becoming a potentially good option for ENG. So i personally struggle to rate him above just a solid premiership defender these days since that friendly.
So because he had a slightly poor game on his International debut in comparison to his excellent form for Everton in the whole of last season, you don't rate him as an England option? Pretty strange logic there. He was excellent last season, and having watched a lot of him I'm of the belief that he's definitely international class, and it'd take more than a few good games from Campbell at Arsenal for him to get a call-up. Jagielka would be a far better option.