• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Sri Lanka 2014

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Possibly, but they oft change the captain, and there's age to factor in for a lot of them too. Just don't see Bell and Cook being there, which aids things massively.

Plus there just look to be better players around challenging, with Hales, Vince, Taylor and Billings.

Bowling still looks ghastly whatever we do though.
For as long as I can remember there have just been far too many players who are just not suited to ODIs taking a prominent role in the side. This is especially the case with captains. Nasser, Vaughan, Strauss and Cook, whilst all having their moments, were/are, with the best will in the world, not especially proficient one day cricketers.

In a similar vein, there have always been bits and pieces players who have been drafted in from time to time because they give the illusion of being an allrounder, or can bowl spin etc... (e.g. McGrath, Blackwell, Tredwell, Dalrymple, Clarke, Batty, Yardy, etc...) and this has just not helped things.

And then to top it off there has been a lot of dross selected in this time frame as well. I suppose actually, looking at this list of players who have played for England ( List of England ODI cricketers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) you could in fact argue that given the number of debuts that have occurred over the last decade or so, the selectors have actually tried to shake things up, but that the majority of the players they have called up have been terrible. It really is a who's who of underwhelming/terrible selections for the most part.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For as long as I can remember there have just been far too many players who are just not suited to ODIs taking a prominent role in the side. This is especially the case with captains. Nasser, Vaughan, Strauss and Cook, whilst all having their moments, were/are, with the best will in the world, not especially proficient one day cricketers.

In a similar vein, there have always been bits and pieces players who have been drafted in from time to time because they give the illusion of being an allrounder, or can bowl spin etc... (e.g. McGrath, Blackwell, Tredwell, Dalrymple, Clarke, Batty, Yardy, etc...) and this has just not helped things.

And then to top it off there has been a lot of dross selected in this time frame as well. I suppose actually, looking at this list of players who have played for England ( List of England ODI cricketers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) you could in fact argue that given the number of debuts that have occurred over the last decade or so, the selectors have actually tried to shake things up, but that the majority of the players they have called up have been terrible. It really is a who's who of underwhelming/terrible selections for the most part.
Well, all that's true, but TBH that's the players we had. It's like the English football team, people keep on blaming the selections but the simple fact is we haven't got the players. For some reason we just don't seem to have the right mental attitude for ODI's with a few exceptions.

I'm hoping a new generation with T20 cricket prominent in their lives now will.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
On the plus side, Fox Sports just showed a replay of Netherlands vs England T20...
Hahahahaha I didn't realise the winning runs were overthrows ahahaha, quality

I was hoping Kandamby would get a proper hit, spose the shorter the game the better we are meant to be but it also makes it more of a lottery, why on earth do series' get scheduled at this time of year in SL?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he's on the money too :laugh:

Big wicket there getting Dilshan, Kusal just isn't contributing enough to the team, is pretty good when he comes off but he never goes big enough to win us matches and he's a dead weight the rest of the time

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Has looked pretty easy out there, skiddy wicket with a bit of pace and little turn, we're gonna have to finish well then bowl bloody well, still backing us

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Just need this partnership to last another 5 overs or so at a run a ball and the recovery will be complete, Thirrimanne looks in good nick

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sangakkara gone...England should go for the kill here; SL doesn't have the best lower-order in the world

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Really can't afford to give Thirimanne width, although today he's displayed a pretty wide range of strokes pretty effectively, would be nice if he kept this form up - I think he's enjoying having a settled role at the moment

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Really can't afford to give Thirimanne width, although today he's displayed a pretty wide range of strokes pretty effectively, would be nice if he kept this form up - I think he's enjoying having a settled role at the moment
Yes and he is playing his own game as a stroke player rather than trying to bludgeon(which always gets him out)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well this is turning out really well, some nice ungainly slogs from Prasad clearing the fence, Cook hasn't saved the right bowlers I'm afraid

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Dhammika did exactly what we need him to here..he has done in a few games recently tbf..ungainly yes, but they all count..well played lad...