• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Sri Lanka 2014

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Bopara's Astle/Styris-like slow medium bowling will be more than handy in NZ/Aus conditions just quietly.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I don't get how Bopara gets dropped and might not make the WC squad but Morgan and Cook are guaranteed spots.
Has he been left out of England's provisional squad? I thought he may have been left out as he was a likely for the WC and they were looking at others who were on the edges of the selection? I agree that Bopara would be a given for me on the team list..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't get how Bopara gets dropped and might not make the WC squad but Morgan and Cook are guaranteed spots.
Well for one thing he's not competing with those 2 for a spot as they play a different role.

For a second thing he's ****.

viriya

International Captain
Maybe he should be competing for those spots.. he was underbowled.. 30 avg at 80 sr and <5 econ bowling shouldn't just be ditched for no reason.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Reading between the lines, Cook's most recent pronouncement screams at the selectors to drop him and end the misery now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Maybe he should be competing for those spots.. he was underbowled.. 30 avg at 80 sr and <5 econ bowling shouldn't just be ditched for no reason.
Do you ever watch games or do you just quote stats and declare people are underbowled?

viriya

International Captain
Do you ever watch games or do you just quote stats and declare people are underbowled?
I watched the whole last series and cook ignored him most of the time or just gave him 2 overs.. There were a couple matches where he was the most economical of the lot.

Why is it personal bro?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha the British guy sitting right beside me in the office says "I love Cook. He's a nice chap. But I wish he could play some decent cricket too. He's the sort of guy you'd wouldn't mind as your partner to have some beers, but definitely not to captain your National cricket team." lol.

He also wants Cook to be dropped from the WC side.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I actually find national opinion on Cook at the moment to be really weird. I mean, sure, he hasn't got any runs for a while, but there seems to be a serious amount of anger directed towards him by many. Not sure whether it's to with those comments Giles Clarke made earlier in the year, the KP thing or just his no runs. Probably all three.

I mean, he's like England's second best batsman in the last 20 years. Show some ****ing respect.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I actually find national opinion on Cook at the moment to be really weird. I mean, sure, he hasn't got any runs for a while, but there seems to be a serious amount of anger directed towards him by many. Not sure whether it's to with those comments Giles Clarke made earlier in the year, the KP thing or just his no runs. Probably all three.

I mean, he's like England's second best batsman in the last 20 years. Show some ****ing respect.
Indeed, and he won a series in Oz and India as captain, not many to have done that.

viriya

International Captain
So Morgan for Cook.. not that Morgan deserves it, but I wonder if that means Hales is gonna open?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So Morgan for Cook.. not that Morgan deserves it, but I wonder if that means Hales is gonna open?
Might as well. Not a lot to be lost, and occasionally it may pay off. Not a great reason for reaching a decision, of course, but we aren't over-burdened with talent, so meh.

Perhaps the biggest benefit might be freeing up Cook to concentrate on the five-day game and sort that part of his game out.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed, and he won a series in Oz and India as captain, not many to have done that.
You didn't mean the bit about him winning in Aus as captain, did you?

But I agree about showing him some respect. The extent of the witch-hunt has not been edifying. And the role of media vermin like Morgan in all this leaves me nauseous.

viriya

International Captain
tbf I remember Mahela was going through a nightmare patch near the 2003 WC and barely scored a run there - even though I hated him then I knew SL couldn't afford to drop him. Not that he ever really came good in ODIs (his ODI record kinda sucks), but he always turned it up in big games. If SL had a Cook equivalent, he probably would be persisted with, but at the same time he would not be under pressure as much, so his lean patch might not have lasted this long either..