• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh yes, certainly. But Bell actually gets credited much, much more for it. Trott often gets a raw deal for being poor to watch.
Think it is all the stuff that comes with it, the scatching around and what not. Agree that some of his individual shots are lovely to watch but he lacks that overall look.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Indeed. And weren't the likes of Dinda registering higher not so long ago? Just shows how there's more to speed than just the figure on the speed gun.
Yeah, as with so much in life it's not just what you've got, what you do with it is more important.

I'm sure I've said before that I think telly misses a trick by not showing the reaction time a batsman has from release to playing as well as the raw air velocity. My guess is it would back up the idea some bowlers lose less pace after pitching than others.

grecian

Bell > Trott for good looking batting.

Certainly a partnership at current that purists should enjoy.
Funny thing is, I enjoy Bell in Tests, but not so much in limited overs, I just think his languid style is more frustrating in this form, he just doesn't know how to pinch singles. Whilst I enjoy it in the longer form, the opposite could have been said of Collingwood, where scurrying and alertness to all chances of runs made him more interesting.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Plz explain what there is to speed other than speed
Well I think that certain bowlers can get the ball to maintain its speed better as it travels through the air and off the pitch, meaning the pace has dropped less when it reaches the batsman. For example they showed on the TV a Dale Steyn delivery that was 149kph when it left the hand, and was around 120 when it reached the batsman/stumps. I believe with certain bowlers the ball would be 125kph, or 115kph after leaving the hand at the same speed.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Funny thing is, I enjoy Bell in Tests, but not so much in limited overs, I just think his languid style is more frustrating in this form, he just doesn't know how to pinch singles. Whilst I enjoy it in the longer form, the opposite could have been said of Collingwood, where scurrying and alertness to all chances of runs made him more interesting.
Not me. Flat pitch, little swing, hard ball; I could watch Bell open in limited overs cricket all day.

thierry henry

International Coach
Mills just bowled one at 137kph :p

So far they seem basically the exact same speed, Mitch is less consistent but both averaging mid-130s.
And yet you've got Mills who apparently isn't quick enough and offers no threat after the ball loses its shine, vs Mitch who is fast and intimidating :blink:

Pothas

I really like a languid style in limited overs personally, Jayawardene's 100 in the world cup final was just superb to watch.

Agree Bell is frustrating although far less so when he opens but actually think it looks like he is trying too hard sometimes, always does that intense grimace thing in ODIs.

thierry henry

International Coach
Well I think that certain bowlers can get the ball to maintain its speed better as it travels through the air and off the pitch, meaning the pace has dropped less when it reaches the batsman. For example they showed on the TV a Dale Steyn delivery that was 149kph when it left the hand, and was around 120 when it reached the batsman/stumps. I believe with certain bowlers the ball would be 125kph, or 115kph after leaving the hand at the same speed.
If the ball leaves the hand at a certain speed, wouldn't any variation between bowlers in "maintaining speed" be down to trajectory? I don't see anything about McClenaghan's trajectory that would make him faster than the radar suggests....he is only of middling height for a seamer, neither really bouncy nor really flat and direct like, say, Malinga.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
McClenghan's older than I thought, actually. Allott mentioned he's 26.

He suddenly gained a yard or something? Late bloomer?