• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So NZ and England politely taking turns to win matches. Can confidently predict that NZ will take the second test now :ph34r:

I find it bizarre that we're suddenly winning ODIs again and as I posted before, with Mills bowling really well and Elliott in the side it's like we've gone back in time to 2009. We really were horrible in ODIs in the years between then and the South Africa tour.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I find it bizarre that we're suddenly winning ODIs again and as I posted before, with Mills bowling really well and Elliott in the side it's like we've gone back in time to 2009. We really were horrible in ODIs in the years between then and the South Africa tour.
Same.

It's rather strange.

Tonight was perhaps more encouraging than the SA tour because we actually managed to chase a total, rather than forcing a choke. We used to be excellent chasing, then we went through a period where our batsmen looked like they had no idea what to do.

I still don't think our tactics are great, but Williamson is really having an impact. Has the ability to score off most bowlers, and wants big runs when he gets in.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I'd like to see Latham get a shot as well, I'm just not sure whether he should open or not.
You can't really move McCullum back up after success down the order, but there aren't any other options, are there?

Watling
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin
Neesham
NcCullum
Mills
Boult

Mike5181

International Captain
So NZ and England politely taking turns to win matches. Can confidently predict that NZ will take the second test now :ph34r:

And we finally get the bowling orders right as well.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Another excellent win notched up at the great Seddon park. Good to see McCullum taking us home like it's 2007, though the bowling plan
to him really was dire. So much short ****, though he placed his shots well in a packed leg side field. Gupp's ramp for six was the moment of the night, just so good.

Also, Mitch :(

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to see Latham get a shot as well, I'm just not sure whether he should open or not.
Latham was horrible back in the West Indies ODIs, but he's a young guy so 6-12 months on he appears to have improved quickly (though still luurves that legside). Wouldn't be a bad pick imo

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Really not sure I fancy England this series. Real shortage of match practice for Cook, Bell and in particular Swann, Anderson and Trott who last played in the indian test matches over 2 months ago. England don't particulaly have the batsman in the top 4 to make use of the smaller boundaries. The bowlers will have to perform well.

If I was a betting man I'd really fancy NZ for this first match at least.
pretty spot on analysis before the game by myself.

I've said it before but long term you can't have bell, trott and cook playing in the same team. especially troubling is the bell/trott combo. At least Cook is left handed and strong mentally.

bell batting with trott is a disaster waiting to happen.trott bats at his own pace regardless and can't play any big shots succesfully. bell on the other hand scores a lot of his runs with lofted drives/aerial shots yet only scores at ~80 sr going on current form- it's not good when you're giving the opposition plenty of chances and still only scoring at 80sr.

Root batted well until the powerplay then we saw his frenetic t20 champions league play trying to smash everything and missing most of the deliveries. He's already a better bet at 4 than bell and trott will be given he can come in straight away and rotate the strike and be busy and lift the rate without taking much risk- but like the rest of the top 4 he doesn't have the ability to devastate an attack towards the end of the innings.

Was a pretty awful dismissal by Root at that time and he really should have been batting to the end of the innings with the wickets falling at the other end. Went to bed after that.

Seems the bowlers bowled pretty well to nearly win the game.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
trott just puts so much pressure on bell and we all know bell doesn't have the mental nous to come through this kind of thing. he also doesn't have the power to really add to his wide range of strokeplay. none of the top 4 are ever going to score at 80sr+ regularly and this is a problem on high scoring grounds.

botham would definitely have runout trott in odi cricket if they had played together.

Mike5181

International Captain
You can't really move McCullum back up after success down the order, but there aren't any other options, are there?

Watling
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin
Neesham
NcCullum
Mills
Boult
You could throw Ronchi in there? Not sure how he suits opening, but it'd only be temporary anyway.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Good win. Nice captain's knock from McCullum. Though, after running Williamson out, he probably needed to see us home. Or somewhere near it.

Saying that, I really can't stand the bloke. Or Hesson. I haven't disliked anyone associated with NZ cricket so much since Ken Rutherford.

Sorry for the negativity! Just that Doull was making some weird observations in comms over he about McCullum's floating role in the batting order. Sounds very ****ed when he's not even our best batsman. Probably not even in the top two.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You could throw Ronchi in there? Not sure how he suits opening, but it'd only be temporary anyway.
Has opened a lot for WA in one day cricket; scored hundreds there. Has a better record down the order as a finisher but he's certainly no stranger to it; I think he opened when he played for Australia too. It's a good option IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
cool, we'll have three wicket keepers who probably should all open in LO cricket.
Actually you'll have two wicket keepers - one who should bat in the middle order but who will open, and one who should open but who will bat in the middle order - and an opening batsman who won't keep here but will keep in the Tests and bat in the middle order even though there are plenty of keepers and no opening available for that side.

Yeah, woo.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Actually you'll have two wicket keepers - one who should bat in the middle order but who will open, and one who should open but who will bat in the middle order, and neither who will keep wicket - and an opening batsman who probably shouldn't keep but will anyway.
spot on. Unfortunately.

Mike5181

International Captain
Good win. Nice captain's knock from McCullum. Though, after running Williamson out, he probably needed to see us home. Or somewhere near it.

Saying that, I really can't stand the bloke. Or Hesson. I haven't disliked anyone associated with NZ cricket so much since Ken Rutherford.

Sorry for the negativity! Just that Doull was making some weird observations in comms over he about McCullum's floating role in the batting order. Sounds very ****ed when he's not even our best batsman. Probably not even in the top two.
Don't really get the McCullum hate tbh.