• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst foreign players like AB, Kohli, Warner etc. go on to reach new levels, England syndrome means we have players like Cook and Root threatening to be great and then their game goes nowhere.

I don't know what it is. But it has happened for as long as I can remember. England players reach a high level and not only do they not go any higher, they often don't even maintain it for more than a year or two.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Whilst foreign players like AB, Kohli, Warner etc. go on to reach new levels, England syndrome means we have players like Cook and Root threatening to be great and then their game goes nowhere.

I don't know what it is. But it has happened for as long as I can remember. England players reach a high level and not only do they not go any higher, they often don't even maintain it for more than a year or two.
Cut Root some slack, last time Kohli went to England he couldn't lay bat on ball, Root needs to convert more and needs to have 1 or 2 more release shots in T20s for matches like today but he is an absolutely fine player and one middling series doesn't change that.

Bijed

International Regular
Totally forgot this match was happening, come home, load cricinfo and discover that apparently the England team did too.

I not actually that bothered by this, but still, 8 wickets for 8 runs in 18 balls :blink::wacko:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cut Root some slack, last time Kohli went to England he couldn't lay bat on ball, Root needs to convert more and needs to have 1 or 2 more release shots in T20s for matches like today but he is an absolutely fine player and one middling series doesn't change that.
There's no doubt Root is a very good player, he's been churning out consistent scores but very few match-defining innings. The likes of Kohli, AB, Warner and so on win matches. Root has been scored lots of tidy runs in the ODIs without really hurting the opposition. In Tests he's got something like 20 50s and only 6 centuries over the last two years. He shouldn't get a free pass because he's England best batsman so whatever he does is fine (which is the general attitude in England, and one that has made England's peaks very short-lived). He needs to take some responsibility and make more of his ability.

Compton

International Debutant
Too many morons thinking they can smash sixes from ball 1.

It may have been a great batting pitch, but you pretty much always have to play your way in.

Burner

International Regular
You'll have to say that to those that batted before them and virtually gave them no chance but to hit sixes on ball 1!