• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Compton

International Debutant
I work for a Government Department and I'm off for 18 days I think.

6 are weekends, 4 public holidays (2 Xmas, 2 NY), and the balance is annual leave.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It was brought up a few days ago but I'll go back to it. I don't think Dobell was too wrong with regard England and white/red ball balance.

England have looked to concentrate a little more on white ball cricket since the last 50 over WC, although roughly it only brings them into line with how other countries see the formats.

Things they've done are

Bring in Bayliss. White Ball experience was quoted by Strauss as one of the main reasons.
Central contract for white ball only players. Morgan.
Reduction in 4 day cricket in championship for next year.
Only 50/20 over Lions cricket in 15/16 winter. First time I can remember them only concentrating on white ball skills.
North v South 50 over cricket in UAE series. First time in 2017
T20 and 50 over played in blocks in 2017. Championship cricket has been moved to the peripheries of the season in recent times.

These changes had little or no impact on this tour with India.

The only thing I'd say is no lions 4 day cricket last winter meant they couldn't work with guys who were close to the test team and give them experience of foreign condions. Maybe Duckett would have been selected for that and would have been more secure - or not selected because they didn't think he was ready. Maybe they'd of had a look at Malan, Westley or whoever and made improvements and they'd have come in at some point. That hurt them to a degree although it's impact would likely of been minimal in the short term. Bayliss doesn't seem to have much clue when it comes to Asian 5 day cricket either but the personnel is average.

England are likely to see the results of these policies more in the future. Rather like in Australia where the Big Bash takes over a large part of the middle summer and first class cricket is pushed to the edges of the season and seems less important - the same is going to happen in England. Australia themselves look like they are going to struggle to recreate the great test teams of recent times. England were never even that good even when we mainly concentrated on red ball cricket - so what happens to our red ball team now when less focus is placed on it?

That said I don't think England have many options in that regards. Every other country seems to have their season defined by their 20 over tournament. And the signs are that England's white ball cricket is improving.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
I get his stats, mate, but you are not going to be an international quality batsman when you suck this much in playing a short ball. I did have him in the side I said I would go with and I have him batting at 6/7 which I think is the more ideal number for him if he is playing tests. And the English home season will show whether he is a good option for the Ashes in Australia or not.
Moeen has shown this year he can play short bowling ... when he doesn't hook. Why he started trying to play it again I have no idea. He'll get plenty of practice vs South Africa.

centurymaker

International Captain
That's weird, where do you work? If it's a government department I would understand, although 10 is a bit much. Especially considering people I know who work in say, the DWP are having 7 days off, not 10. In the private sector, it's 4 days (the weekend ofc and then boxing day and the day after that).

The boards and players are ok with many things it doesn't mean we as fans should take it or maybe every team should be given special treatment on special days. How about touring Pakistan and Bangladesh sides get a rest day on Friday? I'm sure most of you would be against that.

A 2 week break is excessive. I can totally understand a week off for the festivities, spending time with the family and so on and then coming back and resuming the series. 2 weeks is a joke.

Oh and Kohli didn't really seem ok with it, even if his comment came across as tongue in cheek.
Actually it's more than a 3 week break..
(There are 25 days between last day of Tests and first ODI)

listento_me

U19 Captain
Working over Christmas is pointless. And some of us have had no significant time off since summer so whilr I'm back tomorrow for 4 out of 5 days, I'm taking the first week of 2017 off.
Yeah I get that but taking annual leave days is different from having days off.

I work for a Government Department and I'm off for 18 days I think.

6 are weekends, 4 public holidays (2 Xmas, 2 NY), and the balance is annual leave.
Why are you counting weekends? lol

And of course, 4 public holidays (Monday and Tuesday are none working days in the UK too...apart from shops obviously) so really you're taking your annual leave days. That's fine but that's not what the England lads are doing. Stop trying to be clever guys -__-

listento_me

U19 Captain
Actually it's more than a 3 week break..
(There are 25 days between last day of Tests and first ODI)
I read it was 2 weeks...25 days is just taking the piss.

All these smart arses with their "I'm taking 18 days off!" but really are counting annual leave days can't even match the 25 days given to the English lads.

Na, that's plain stupid.

I reckon other teams should start pushing for similar break periods.

Compton

International Debutant
Yeah I get that but taking annual leave days is different from having days off.

Why are you counting weekends? lol

And of course, 4 public holidays (Monday and Tuesday are none working days in the UK too...apart from shops obviously) so really you're taking your annual leave days. That's fine but that's not what the England lads are doing. Stop trying to be clever guys -__-
I just like pointing out how long I'm off work.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why were people justifying their working schedule to LTM? IIRC he mentioned he's training at a Uni somewhere ffs.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Why were people justifying their working schedule to LTM? IIRC he mentioned he's training at a Uni somewhere ffs.
Yeah, strange passage of posting tbh.

What I loved best about LTM's post was that we shouldn't be having a break because we played so **** in the tests!! Like the prearranged schedule should be changed at the last minute so we can cancel the players leave as punishment lol.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Yeah, strange passage of posting tbh.

What I loved best about LTM's post was that we shouldn't be having a break because we played so **** in the tests!! Like the prearranged schedule should be changed at the last minute so we can cancel the players leave as punishment lol.
When did I say that?

I'm saying the holiday season is excessive, a period of 25 days between tests/ODIs with the excuse being that this is the Christmas break. I've never heard of someone getting 25 day breaks for religious holidays, in sports or otherwise.

It does however become even more excessive based upon the quality of performances the players put in but that's neither here nor there.

I assume English isn't your first language so I'll let you off this time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When did I say that?

I'm saying the holiday season is excessive, a period of 25 days between tests/ODIs with the excuse being that this is the Christmas break. I've never heard of someone getting 25 day breaks for religious holidays, in sports or otherwise.

It does however become even more excessive based upon the quality of performances the players put in but that's neither here nor there.

I assume English isn't your first language so I'll let you off this time.
England do it all the time when touring India.

This time the break's a bit longer but getting the Test series over and done with before Christmas then coming back in January for ODIs is a tradition. IIRC last time round they played the T20s in December as well.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
England also played a huge number of Tests this year - it should hardly be surprising that the ECB tried to build a big rest break into the schedule after 7 consecutive matches in the SC.

centurymaker

International Captain
The fact that a number of the English players seem to be playing in the BigBash atm might have something to do with the scheduling of this extended break.

Something similar to the IPL window etc..