• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Dhoni's Test captaincy was never going to be that hard to eclipse but his limited overs captaincy was excellent. I feel it's become a bit underrated on CW due to his mediocre to decent Test captaincy; the same happened with Ponting.
The good news is we'll see very soon, at least in terms of results. I'm picking India's winning percentage will be up 10% or more under Kohli, even his first 12 months vs. the last 12, where the personnel will be much the same.

He may not be all that much better tactically speaking, but in terms of attitude and intensity, I think we'll see a real difference, especially in the fielding.

Daemon

Dhoni was a master of damage control.

Where normal captains would bring on their spearheads to break partnerships, Dhoni would get cheap overs out of mediocre spinners and let batsmen take their time to settle in, because he knew that even if he brought his main bowlers on they'd probably take no wickets anyways.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The good news is we'll see very soon, at least in terms of results. I'm picking India's winning percentage will be up 10% or more under Kohli, even his first 12 months vs. the last 12, where the personnel will be much the same.

He may not be all that much better tactically speaking, but in terms of attitude and intensity, I think we'll see a real difference, especially in the fielding.

Trust me, MSD was the one who brought in any kind of attitude and intensity to our sides, esp. the LO sides. People just dont get what MSD has actually done for Indian cricket. If it were not for MSD, I feel there honestly wont be a Virat for everyone to gush over. Just listen to Virat talk about MSD to understand the impact he had in ingraining the very attributes to Virat, which you feel, he will ingrain into the Indian side. As I said, you guys just dont realize how good he was as a leader across formats and as a captain esp. in the LO formats.

OverratedSanity

Dhoni was a master of damage control.

Where normal captains would bring on their spearheads to break partnerships, Dhoni would get cheap overs out of mediocre spinners and let batsmen take their time to settle in, because he knew that even if he brought his main bowlers on they'd probably take no wickets anyways.
Yep. No one's been as good as him at applying the middle overs squeeze.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He is the quintessential Indian Middle Class Breadwinner. Best at maximizing the limited resources he has. :p Perhaps Virat is more suited now to inherit the rich-er talent pool as far as modern LO cricket goes. :laugh:

Zinzan

Trust me, MSD was the one who brought in any kind of attitude and intensity to our sides, esp. the LO sides. People just dont get what MSD has actually done for Indian cricket. If it were not for MSD, I feel there honestly wont be a Virat for everyone to gush over. Just listen to Virat talk about MSD to understand the impact he had in ingraining the very attributes to Virat, which you feel, he will ingrain into the Indian side. As I said, you guys just dont realize how good he was as a leader across formats and as a captain esp. in the LO formats.
Yeah I wouldn't want to take that away from Dhoni, I feel Kohli will take them to a new level in that respect though.

Zinzan

He is the quintessential Indian Middle Class Breadwinner. Best at maximizing the limited resources he has. :p Perhaps Virat is more suited now to inherit the rich-er talent pool as far as modern LO cricket goes. :laugh:
It will be disappointing if Kohli has better results & people claim it's on;y because he had better personnel.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah I wouldn't want to take that away from Dhoni, I feel Kohli will take them to a new level in that respect though.
There is no new level. Dhoni won the 50 over World Cup, the T20 World Cup, the Champions Trophy, the CB series in Australia and pretty much every major ODI team achievement there is atm. Would be surprised if Kohli even matches Dhoni as a limited overs captain.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You mean the 2007 ODI WC crashed out side? That was the side MSD inherited. Whatever it became afterwards is what he built along with the then management and selectors.

OverratedSanity

You mean the 2007 ODI WC crashed out side? That was the side MSD inherited. Whatever it became afterwards is what he built along with the then management and selectors.
That wc was an aberration. The personell and the team as a whole were still very good.

This current odi team is massively reliant on kohli. It's not quite Tendulkar 90s level but it's close.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No way was that ODI side good. We had 5 openers FFS. Current ODI side has Dhawan, Nohit as well and our bowling is good. No way is this side comparable or worse than the 2007 WC squad.

OverratedSanity

No way was that ODI side good. We had 5 openers FFS. Current ODI side has Dhawan, Nohit as well and our bowling is good. No way is this side comparable or worse than the 2007 WC squad.
Uthapa was the only real weak link tbh. The problem aa you said was that we had too many openers, but implying that "this is the team Dhoni inherited" is what I disagree with,simce it implied the team had scrubs like Rahane (:ph34r:) in it. The personnel were mostly high quality. Just some shuffling of the order and putting Sachin back in the opening slot where he belonged was all it took to make the team excellent.

Right now, Dhoni is in the worst form of his career, the second opening slot is a worry, as is the entire middle and lower order apart from kohli. Rahane has done SFA, and we don't have a good hitter/finisher down the order with Dhoni declining and Raina nowhere in the picture.

Shri

Mr. Glass
After Dhoni goes, either Pant or Kishan will do will in ODIs and will be brought into the test side. I am looking forward to that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Uthapa was the only real weak link tbh. The problem aa you said was that we had too many openers, but implying that "this is the team Dhoni inherited" is what I disagree with,simce it implied the team had scrubs like Rahane (:ph34r:) in it. The personnel were mostly high quality. Just some shuffling of the order and putting Sachin back in the opening slot where he belonged was all it took to make the team excellent.

Right now, Dhoni is in the worst form of his career, the second opening slot is a worry, as is the entire middle and lower order apart from kohli. Rahane has done SFA, and we don't have a good hitter/finisher down the order with Dhoni declining and Raina nowhere in the picture.

Lol... would have been interesting if you felt this way in 2007. I feel you are letting the fact that a number of those players turned out to be great later in their careers affect your rating of how good they were at that time.