• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Burner

International Regular
Let's just agree Root looked considerably better against the same attack just weeks afterwards. No comparison.
Kane never got a Rajkot to bat on. The pitches offered to NZ were considerably tougher to bat on imo and even then he scored the best looking 75 against Ashwin. Perhaps the best innings played by a touring batsman against Ashwin in recent times on a pitch that was conducive to spin.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root looked better on easier pitches and even then I am just not convinced he has his defense sorted out.
Easier pitches? Really? like the 3rd Test vs. NZ when India declared 557/5 after a Kohli double ton & KW managed innings of 8 & 27, both of which he gave some chances before being dismissed IIRC.

I don't know why it's a big deal just to admit Root looked a lot better against the same Indian attack in their own backyard than KW did, just a few weeks afterwards. I'd say that's about as good as a comparison as you can get between batsmen.

Zinzan

read a number of journos on twitter saying that the anderson comments were taken completely out of context and that the original article came from a bloke who wasn't even in the presser and working on second hand info.

still comes off as a piss weak moron.
Lol, how can effectively saying "Home pitches hide Kohli's 'flaws'" be taken out of context? What other context could it mean?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Actually the Ashwin-TPC battle will be one of the few intriguing things to come out of Australia's tour of India IMO. Principally because he's the best player in our line up. I think he'll do pretty well, but doing pretty well given the way Australia bats at the moment probably means being stranded on 40 odd not out a la Hobart vs SA.

Expecting Warner to get schooled, fwiw.
Yeah, me too. Hope Ash finds something in Smith's technique he can target and exploit.

Zinzan

Kane never got a Rajkot to bat on. The pitches offered to NZ were considerably tougher to bat on imo and even then he scored the best looking 75 against Ashwin. Perhaps the best innings played by a touring batsman against Ashwin in recent times on a pitch that was conducive to spin.
Honestly, that was early in the match and the ball wasn't turning that much, I remember it well because Latham was also looking really good and sweeping Ashwin and Jadeja with relative ease on that 2nd evening.

Zinzan

Actually the Ashwin-TPC battle will be one of the few intriguing things to come out of Australia's tour of India IMO. Principally because he's the best player in our line up. I think he'll do pretty well, but doing pretty well given the way Australia bats at the moment probably means being stranded on 40 odd not out a la Hobart vs SA.

Expecting Warner to get schooled, fwiw.
I wouldn't totally underestimate Warner in Indian conditions tbh, also I expect Smith to be somewhere between Root and KW in terms of batting success in India against Ashwin and co.. looking fwd to it.

OverratedSanity

I think Smith will do really well. And Warner can most definitely play in spinning conditions imo. His hundred in the UAE was proof enough.

I expect Ashwin to eat the rest of the lineup for breakfast though.

indiaholic

International Captain
Easier pitches? Really? like the 3rd Test vs. NZ when India declared 557/5 after a Kohli double ton & KW managed innings of 8 & 27, both of which he gave some chances before being dismissed IIRC.

I don't know why it's a big deal just to admit Root looked a lot better against the same Indian attack in their own backyard than KW did, just a few weeks afterwards. I'd say that's about as good as a comparison as you can get between batsmen.
If it makes you happy then sure.. I don't think there is anything much to separate these 4. Kohli also had scores of 9, 18, 9, 45, 17 and then the 200.. I certainly wouldn't be making definitive judgements based on a couple of tests where IMO, KW didn't look out of his depth.

Burgey

I think Smith will do really well. And Warner can most definitely play in spinning conditions imo. His hundred in the UAE was proof enough.

I expect Ashwin to eat the rest of the lineup for breakfast though.
Like to see Khawaaaaahja open and TPC at three with Warner four in India. I mean, Davey's just gonna slog, he can do it anywhere in the line up

Shri

Mr. Glass
Don't think Smith will do anything unexpectedly great tbh. I don't think he will have enough partners batting with him to do anything significant. He will look like Australia's best bat without it meaning much.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just quietly, think Handscomb will be very very good against India in India. He looks a bit of a Jr. Michael Clarke/Steve Smith to me and think he will annoy and then score lots of runs against us as long as he can keep his own wits about him.

vcs

Hard to predict how that series will go. I'm not sure India have ever been such heavy favorites going into a series against Australia. Be interesting to see how both teams cope with that. Also, a lot depends on how Australia play against Pakistan, as it's a game of confidence.

flibbertyjibber

Anyway, well done India on the series win. Totally outclassing England here and surely inevitable it will be 4-0 next week. No hiding place in a longer 4 or 5 match series when things are going against you and we taking a pasting here.

Still not too downhearted though, always expected to lose this series and we have actually discovered a few players for the future on this tour so we may be stronger for the experience a bit like SA are after losing at home to us last winter and finding some quality young players.

P.S. what a relief my alarm never went off today.

P.P.S. Cook to go now before the push after a home South Africa series. :laugh:

Last edited:

vcs

Anyway, well done India on the series win. Totally outclassing England here and surely inevitable it will be 4-0 next week. No hiding place in a longer 4 or 5 match series when things are going against you and we taking a pasting here.

Still not too downhearted though, always expected to lose this series and we have actually discovered a few players for the future on this tour so we may be stronger for the experience a bit like SA are after losing at home to us last winter and finding some quality young players.

P.S. what a relief my alarm never went off today.

P.P.S. Cook to go now before the push after a home South Africa series. :laugh:
Ooh.. yeah, totally forgot about that ridiculous sequence. Nasser, Vaughan and Strauss all replaced after facing SA at home :laugh:

You might as well hang on to him upto then.. don't want to put Root in charge only to lose him after that series. :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just quietly, think Handscomb will be very very good against India in India. He looks a bit of a Jr. Michael Clarke/Steve Smith to me and think he will annoy and then score lots of runs against us as long as he can keep his own wits about him.
He'll get out early a few times too - he basically just runs at spin.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well Jono finally turned up after the series was won so you can guess what is going on. :ph34r:
Yeah I was here for that first test India dominated and went missing in that second and third tests when India were struggling and Kohli was not scoring.

Wait a minute.