• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Australia (2 T20 & 7 ODIs)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Kes out with an abscess. Lumb comes in.
Shame, it'll be a pity if he falls out of the ODI set up now. I don't rate Lumb much tbh. How long is Kies out for?

Leaves me wondering who they'll open with. There's room in the order for Trott and Bell so I'd be happy with them coming in while they're in form. Wright is not a batsman. I suspect the selectors will be seduced by hitting power and pick Lumb.

Fast bowling is either deeply confusing mess or an embarrassment of riches, depending on your veiw. Any 3 of them, they'll all be rotated anyway. Yardy a much smarter cricketer than Wright. Might be worth moving Colly down the order. Only man bound to sit out is Tredwell.

Trott/Lumb
Davies
KP
Bell
Morgan
Colly
Yardy
Swann
Bresnan / Woakes
Shahzad
Tremlett / Finn

12th man Wright.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
He wasn't in the ODI squad, was he?
No, but I mean if he falls completely out of the running thanks too injury, rather than being on the fringes of selection. Matt Prior is probably back ahead of him now because he can't state his case in the T20s, whereas Prior has the chance from playing in the Bash.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently Kes will be fit to tour the West Indies with England A later this month.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely hilarious that our t20 bowling attack is light years ahead of our test attack

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The omission of Hodge is syptomatic of Australia's problems

The guy is one of the world's best players in shorter formats but has been omitted for purely political reasons

Silly me, I didnt realise we were so good that we could afford to do that any more 8-)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Absolutely hilarious that our t20 bowling attack is light years ahead of our test attack
Lee and Tait are both retired from Test Cricket, Johnson vs Johnson is quite equal :laugh: and Pattinson is not yet better than Siddle. I'm happy to accept O'Keefe in front of Beer, but I think you are wrong overall.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Lee and Tait are both retired from Test Cricket, Johnson vs Johnson is quite equal :laugh: and Pattinson is not yet better than Siddle. I'm happy to accept O'Keefe in front of Beer, but I think you are wrong overall.
Impossible to judge tbh. Never equal one day to the next. If Johnson were to clone his own DNA and fight himself he'd be pretty even, but if he were to travel back in time to punch his own face in (like the rest of us want to) it'd be no contest.

Albion

Cricket Spectator
Interesting series simply because of the WC coming up. England have done pretty well in ODI cricket since that 6-1 drubbing - beating SA, Aus & Pak in series but we'll be without our 2 best ODI bowlers in Broad and Anderson so Aus definitely favourites.

We're T20 world champions of course, and along with Aus were the best side in that tournament. No Sidebottom either from that final so our bowling looks a bit weak. Tremlett is a bit hittable in the shorter game and Woakes could be fodder if the ball does nothing off the deck.

You would think Steve Davies would play instead of Lumb? Lumb has no form at all. Mostly looking forward to Shazhad getting a prolonged go in the side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
And scores them very slow.

Cook has been very good in 20/20 over the last 2 years.
T20 Cup 2009:

Cook 8 matches, 337 runs at 48.14, SR 144, HS 100*
Trott 11 matches, 525 runs at 65.62, SR 133.58, HS 86*

FPT20 2010:

Cook 11 matches, 388 runs at 38.80, SR 132.42
Trott12 matches, 306 runs at 30.60, SR 115.03

Pretty similar records, even if Cook does have the better strike rate. Trott has been the better ODI performer, which makes the difference to me, as it's much closer to the level of competition involved.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes, missing Broad and Jimmy is a big loss, along with Siddie. I'm not sure our seamers will cut the mustard in this form of the game. I'd go with Bres, Tremlett and Shahzad and hopefully there full of confidence and take their form into one day cricket. Shame about Kieswetter, needed him to get off to a good start. Opening with Davies and Trott doesn't fill me with confidence, I'd be more tempted to open with Bell,as a bit of a make shift opener.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You are aware that Davies scores more runs and scores them faster, on average than Bedwetter?

Seam bowling looks pretty piss weak without Broad it has to be said. First 3 games are a real opportunity for someone to stick their hand up for WC selection.

Jacknife

International Captain
You are aware that Davies scores more runs and scores them faster, on average than Bedwetter?

Seam bowling looks pretty piss weak without Broad it has to be said. First 3 games are a real opportunity for someone to stick their hand up for WC selection.
Talking about Trott tbh, ideally I would have had Kieswetter and Davies to open, I like Trott in ODI's but 20/20, I don't see it, he score at 95 s/r which is borderline to say the least.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File

Just as good as the bowling that won us the WT20 tbf. Broad is a sizeable loss but Sidebottom isn't, and Tremlett, Shahzad & Jimmy could all bring something special.

T20 bowling is all about bowling accurately, with proper fielding and planning as much about bowling really dangerously - and England are the best in the world at that.