• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Australia (2 T20 & 7 ODIs)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just as good as the bowling that won us the WT20 tbf. Broad is a sizeable loss but Sidebottom isn't, and Tremlett, Shahzad & Jimmy could all bring something special.

T20 bowling is all about bowling accurately, with proper fielding and planning as much about bowling really dangerously - and England are the best in the world at that.
Very true. You'd expect an England T20 attack to do much better than one comprising bowlers with a destructive reputation like Steyn, Johnson, Mendis etc.

Jacknife

International Captain
Just as good as the bowling that won us the WT20 tbf. Broad is a sizeable loss but Sidebottom isn't, and Tremlett, Shahzad & Jimmy could all bring something special.

T20 bowling is all about bowling accurately, with proper fielding and planning as much about bowling really dangerously - and England are the best in the world at that.
I'd say T20 is more about variations and not putting the ball on a length to be smacked, I agree with what your saying but Tremlett is a bit of a unknown quantity as far as this format and Jimmy won't be here for the T20's and 3 Odi's.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah, but as much as you do have to be accurate, you have to be accurate in a way that's very different to Test kallisball. In Test kallisball you can be almost boring with your accuracy; you only really need to be accurate in a consistent way to repeatedly bowl similar areas. In T20 you need to be able to accurately bowl different areas depending on what the batsman is trying to do, and deceive as much as defeat with variation. Tremlett, who I love with all my heart, is not a good T20 bowler or even a good one day bowler for these reasons.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From memory, Tremlett's List A record is waaaay better than his ODI record isn't it?
Yeah, I think it is too, without checking. In saying that, I think domestic one day cricket in England, particularly when it was always 50 overs a side, is/was a lot more like Test/FC cricket than ODIs are. Line and length with a bit of seam movement from a tall bloke at good pace is something I'd expect to be much more effective in English ODD cricket (and indeed Tests) than ODIs in general.

Flat pitches, no overhead assistance and international batsmen who can hit through the line are a very different proposition - you need more variation and you need a different type of accuracy to be able to hit different areas, rather than just consistent accuracy in the same area. Tremlett's one of my favourite bowlers but I don't much rate him as a limited overs campaigner internationally. Would loooooooooooove to be proven wrong however.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, but as much as you do have to be accurate, you have to be accurate in a way that's very different to Test kallisball. In Test kallisball you can be almost boring with your accuracy; you only really need to be accurate in a consistent way to repeatedly bowl similar areas. In T20 you need to be able to accurately bowl different areas depending on what the batsman is trying to do, and deceive as much as defeat with variation. Tremlett, who I love with all my heart, is not a good T20 bowler or even a good one day bowler for these reasons.
Rather what I meant, which is why I said "planning", that is to say having a good bowling-to-field plan and bieng accurate enough to stick with it.

I have seen very little of Tremmers in domestic limited overs, and I think he'll be something of an unknown quantity - heaven knows if Shaun Tait can be a success at T20, clearly accuracy isn't everything.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, I think it is too, without checking. In saying that, I think domestic one day cricket in England, particularly when it was always 50 overs a side, is/was a lot more like Test/FC cricket than ODIs are. Line and length with a bit of seam movement from a tall bloke at good pace is something I'd expect to be much more effective in English ODD cricket (and indeed Tests) than ODIs in general.

Flat pitches, no overhead assistance and international batsmen who can hit through the line are a very different proposition - you need more variation and you need a different type of accuracy to be able to hit different areas, rather than just consistent accuracy in the same area. Tremlett's one of my favourite bowlers but I don't much rate him as a limited overs campaigner internationally. Would loooooooooooove to be proven wrong however.
True, I caught Tremlett in a televised one dayer last season and although he bowled very well, his MO looked an awful lot like how he bowled in Australia - getting the ball just back of a length at a good pace (was touching 90mph) that county batsmen couldn't deal with.

Having said that, Flintoff was a pretty successful ODI bowler for us by using the same tools, although Flintoff was also a phenominal death bowler.

Jacknife

International Captain
True, I caught Tremlett in a televised one dayer last season and although he bowled very well, his MO looked an awful lot like how he bowled in Australia - getting the ball just back of a length at a good pace (was touching 90mph) that county batsmen couldn't deal with.

Having said that, Flintoff was a pretty successful ODI bowler for us by using the same tools, although Flintoff was also a phenominal death bowler.
Yes, I've watched Tremlett a few times in the county pro 40 and watched the game you're talking about and the good thing about his performance was that, apart from the accuracy and speed he was getting is that he seemed to be able to deliver a great yorker at will.

Julian87

State Captain
Don't rate Finch in any format tbh. No way would I have picked Pattinson either.

Too many Victorians.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Don't rate Finch in any format tbh. No way would I have picked Pattinson either.

Too many Victorians.
Hard to not make a case for Finch in Twenty20. Equal leading run-scorer in 2009/2010 Big Bash. 6th leading run-scorer in Champions League (from 4 games), already has a 50 this season in the Big Bash.

Deserving player for Australia. Still a long way to go in the other formats though.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see the game tonight is televised as well, suspect we will be getting the Aussie comms though like the A game.

King Pietersen

International Captain
It is.

Bell
Davies
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Wright
Yardy
Tredwell
Shahzad
Woakes

Is the England team. Not the strongest attack possible, but hopefully they'll do the job. The PM XI team is:

Tim Paine
Usman Khawaja
Callum Ferguson
Alex Keath
Daniel Christian
Tom Thornton
Sam Miller
Brett Lee
Xavier Doherty
James Pattinson
Trent Copeland

Interested to watch a few of these guys. Be good to get another watch of Khawaja, have always enjoyed watching Ferguson and it'll be interesting to see what pace Lee operates at and how well he bowls. Looking forward to seeing Copeland too!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yep this is a 50 over game. No Swanny or Strauss, not sure about Yardy as the only spinner, may have to rely on Colly for a few overs.

Nice commentary on Sky:

"No Ajmal Shahzad, he must be very fed up about not getting a game....

Oh, there he is."

Edit: Rob Key is still a lovely man.

Jacknife

International Captain
Hate to see Tredwell playing for England, they seem to have gone in with only 2 seamers, Shahzad and Woakes with Wright and Yardy. Tbh weak bowling line up to say the least.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hate to see Tredwell playing for England, they seem to have gone in with only 2 seamers, Shahzad and Woakes with Wright and Yardy. Tbh weak bowling line up to say the least.
Pretty poor. Wright is neither bowler nor batsman, you could get away with him or Yardy but not both. Wright's fielding seems to keep getting him picked, simply not good enough imo.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Here are the teams btw:

PM's XI:

Paine*+
Khawaja
Keath
Ferguson
Thornton
Christian
Miller
Lee