• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official: Countdown to the 2017-2018 Ashes***

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The greatness of TPC's series in India is amplified by his moving to three. Not even somethig I'd actually thought about until I saw the potential lone up for the first Ashes test in this thread which had Usman back in.
I always felt that Smith was better at 4 in fast, bouncy conditions because of his weaknesses before he gets to 30. But after India I am less sure about that. I'd rather him bat behind Khawaja though.

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
Renshaw
Warner
Khawaja
Smith*
Handscomb
Maxwell
Wade+
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Is what the first XI should be pending fitness (Cummins still has a few ODIs to survive). If any of the 3 fast bowlers aren't fit then Pattinson comes in. If two aren't fit Bird comes in and if all 3 have broken down Sayers comes in.[/QUOT

Pattinson can bat pretty well, so why not all 4 pace team plus Lyon. I suppose it would help if Gilchrist was @ 6.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Renshaw
Warner
Khawaja
Smith*
Handscomb
Maxwell
Wade+
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Is what the first XI should be pending fitness (Cummins still has a few ODIs to survive). If any of the 3 fast bowlers aren't fit then Pattinson comes in. If two aren't fit Bird comes in and if all 3 have broken down Sayers comes in.
Looks good, could even play 5 bowlers if Patto is fit as him, Starc and Cummins are all pretty much all-rounders.

Or, ideally, if the wickets are hard and fast and Maxwell is sufficient for the spin job you can drop Lyon and play the 4 quicks. Would be be a much better team in general if conditions allow.

Oh and SOK should play ahead of Lyon anyway.

Gob

International Coach
Looks good, could even play 5 bowlers if Patto is fit as him, Starc and Cummins are all pretty much all-rounders.

Or, ideally, if the wickets are hard and fast and Maxwell is sufficient for the spin job you can drop Lyon and play the 4 quicks. Would be be a much better team in general if conditions allow.

Oh and SOK should play ahead of Lyon anyway.
2ef37b8ed87752afcd914aee274bb522_y-tho-meme-why-tho_750-738.jpeg

stephen

I don't see any situation really where playing 4 great quicks is going to be better than 3 when over rates are an issue like they are. 3 quicks can take the wickets on friendly decks and on roads the spinner comes more into play.

mr_mister

Not convinced by Cummins batting just yet. Looks quite uncoordinated while holding the willow

91Jmay

International Coach
Not convinced by Cummins batting just yet. Looks quite uncoordinated while holding the willow
He's Broad level before he was a bunny, as I've said before. Doesn't really look great but strikes it beautifully and is capable of devastating innings.

Aus will win 4 matches at least I think. Streets ahead with the ball, and some devastating batsmen at home.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think we are in for a hiding unless our batting suddenly goes up a level or three in the next few months. Bowling will be ok, nothing more but not good enough to challenge.

Scaly piscine

He's Broad level before he was a bunny, as I've said before. Doesn't really look great but strikes it beautifully and is capable of devastating innings.

Aus will win 4 matches at least I think. Streets ahead with the ball, and some devastating batsmen at home.
Streets ahead with the ball rather depends on injuries. If Cummins & Starc are missing then it's much of a muchness. Batting-wise Australia have Smith and Warner, with a lot of newbies/rubbish.

Australia are the glass cannon of cricket.

Compton

International Debutant
Streets ahead with the ball rather depends on injuries. If Cummins & Starc are missing then it's much of a muchness. Batting-wise Australia have Smith and Warner, with a lot of newbies/rubbish.

Australia are the glass cannon of cricket.
If Cummins are Starc are missing, then the seamers will be Haze, Patto, and Bird. Streets ahead.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Cummins and Starc missing actually doesn't even represent that much of a weakening of the attack in theory.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If Cummins are Starc are missing, then the seamers will be Haze, Patto, and Bird. Streets ahead.
Nah, I'm struggling to get on board with this.

I'm not going to argue with anyone on Haze.....I reckon he's the best quick in the world right now so he's definitely an Ace card for the Aussies. But I do think the rest of the Aussie bowling attack is starting to get overrated based on potential and ceilings and not proven results.

Guy's like Patto, Cummins and Bird are too hard to rate (Starc less so) because we just don't know yet........all we know is that in brief glimpses they look the goods. This is especially true when people are claiming they are "streets ahead" of the likes of Anderson and Broad, who we know are class bowlers because they have been doing it for a long period consistently. They also for the record have not falling off a cliff like it seems some people are believing, last calendar year Jimmy took 41 @23 and Broad 48 @26.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Number of tests England have won in Australia in the last 14 years without Tim Bresnan: 1
Number of tests England have won in Australia in the last 14 years with Tim Bresnan: 2

Facts are facts guys

Tom Flint

International Regular
Anyone actually think our batsman would be more comfortable against the pace of cummins as pose to the consistent line and length of bird?
Our middle lower order could score quick runs off cummins' short aggressive bowling. Similar to what jadega done