• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official: Countdown to the 2017-2018 Ashes***

cnerd123

likes this
Although tbf BD > SL and SL > Aus so BD > Aus is already true, but it would be nice to have more evidence to support this fact

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Although tbf BD > SL and SL > Aus so BD > Aus is already true, but it would be nice to have more evidence to support this fact
That's pretty strong though - you get home on the balance of probabilities on the strength of that - need a bit more for beyond reasonable doubt though - England winning the Ashes will be necessary for that

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i sense another 5-0 spanking in the making for england.

that bowling attack is asking to be smashed. jimmy on his last legs, woakes who looks like a trundler when he leaves the uk, moeen (lol). all the aussies have to do is block broad then dismantle the rest of the fodder.

Last edited:

Pothas

Depends on the pitches. They will probably be flat which is an area England really need to improve on, especially with the bat.

Gnske

Usually an 18 man squad right?

1. Joe Root
2. Ben Stokes
3. Stuart Broad
4. Alastair Cook
5. Jonny Bairstow
6. James Anderson
7. Chris Woakes
8. Mark Wood

Take these blokes and you've got a good core, assuming James "I let George Bailey hit me for 28 runs in an over and people think i'm a great bowler" Anderson survives the summer of course (which he may very well not, and lets face it, except for one tour he has been the pits)

But who makes up the rest? England need some strong ancillary characters to win tbh

9. Ian Bell (gotta sacrifice someone?)
10. Moeen Ali (Incite Australian racism and cause endless tabloid scandals)
11. Jake Ball (With a bowling style born to be slaughtered?)
12. Alex Hales (He who was destroyed by Melbourne University)
13. Haseeb Hameed
14. Keaton Jennings (This bloke even going to survive South Africa?)
15. Jack Leach (This bloke even ever going to get selected?)

FBU

International Debutant
1 Cook
2 Hameed
3 Gubbins
4 Root
5 Bairstow
6 Stokes
7 Livingstone
8 Ali
9 Broad
10 Wood
11 Anderson

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Predict Australia's XI for the first test at the GABBA on Nov 23

Renshaw
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
S.Marsh
Handscomb
Wade +
Pattinson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
1 Cook
2 Hameed
3 Gubbins
4 Root
5 Bairstow
6 Stokes
7 Livingstone
8 Ali
9 Broad
10 Wood
11 Anderson
if he goes well this season I wouldn't be surprised to see it, he would be jumping a few people but he would essentially be playing as a batsman at no.7 but he has performed that role at Lancs anyway and if his spin continues to improve he could be a useful 6th bowler. I just don't see the point in England playing a 5th fast bowler for the sake of it especially if Wood isn't fit (and even if he is they should probably rotate 3 or the 4) - if we play 5 seamers and one of them is Finn we deserve to lose 5-0.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The greatness of TPC's series in India is amplified by his moving to three. Not even somethig I'd actually thought about until I saw the potential lone up for the first Ashes test in this thread which had Usman back in.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Predict Australia's XI for the first test at the GABBA on Nov 23

Renshaw
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
S.Marsh
Handscomb
Wade +
Pattinson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon
If we are predicting what the selectors are doing then Darsh is out and Cummins plays in front of Patto. Handscomb at 5 and the random seaming AR of the month at 6. Marsh a lock if fit would be my guess.

Tangles

To be clear I don't advocate this but I'm guessing the selectors will do this based on previous selections. I'm only 60:40 on the Uzi for Darsh selection.

theegyptian

I can see why there is some pessimism on the England side but the unknowns are kind of exciting for Root, Stokes and Bairstow. Potentially defining series in the path their careers take. They're still all improving and very good cricketers but not quite at that very elite level where they dominate big series. Hopefully one or two of them can take that further step in the series against SA and then onto the Ashes. England will need that if they are going to compete because rightly the bowling is being questioned with Anderson and Broad flagging physically.

I know people don't like the theory of five seamers but I'd seriously be considering it as an option for Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth. What's the point of playing Moeen to get flogged around. We know Australia will target him and Moeen hasn't shown he is upto recently. If no-one else comes through that you can trust as a spinner there isn't a whole lot of point playing someone just for the sake of it - especially in Aus where foreign finger spinners struggle so much. It would also protect Broad and Anderson to a degree. It's only really an option if you have something a little different to go with Broad, Anderson, Woakes and Stokes. Wood would be ideal. You could have Root and Jennings (if he is still around) to bowl some fill in overs. Moeen would be dropped because he isn't good enough to bat in the top 6 especially in Aus.

Obviously the worry for England is that it will be that perfect storm with Australia's group of fast bowlers reaching their mid to late 20s and finally over all their early injuries and hitting their peaks rather like Johnson/Harris in 2013/14... but England can't worry about that.

Australia aren't without chinks in their armour themselves. It was only a few months ago they were comfortably beaten by an under strength South Africa at home and whilst things have improved the likes of Marsh, Wade, Handscombe and Renshaw are still far from proven internationals.

Australia are big favourites but I wouldn't write this series off yet.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The greatness of TPC's series in India is amplified by his moving to three. Not even somethig I'd actually thought about until I saw the potential lone up for the first Ashes test in this thread which had Usman back in.
Doesn't matter where he bats, he'll make bulk runs.

Usman is better at 3 than lower tho.

stephen

Renshaw
Warner
Khawaja
Smith*
Handscomb
Maxwell
Wade+
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Is what the first XI should be pending fitness (Cummins still has a few ODIs to survive). If any of the 3 fast bowlers aren't fit then Pattinson comes in. If two aren't fit Bird comes in and if all 3 have broken down Sayers comes in.