• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series 2007-08

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And frankly, had Sachin not clicked I really wonder whether India would have won the any of the finals. Esp the second, it was there for everyone to see how the Indian innings spluttered and gasped once Tendulkar got out. Whatever be the talk in the channels about "Youth power" and thing, it is of little doubt that India still relies on Tendulkar a hell of a lot.
Good point, and one can't blme them for that given the quality of the player he is. Lovely to see him bat so well, probably for the last time here.

adharcric

International Coach
i agree the booing was very poor form, but there are idiots fans on both sides

Just saw on Ten news some Indian fan got hurt by drunken Australian fans in front of his 12 year old son

farken hell, i wish people would just realise its a sport

No one shows any class anymore....
Uhh, you can't show class if you don't have any. I'm not sure why some people are so shocked to see such behavior and don't realize that the average fan (at least the ones you hear about) doesn't have much class when it comes to the opposition. That holds true in India as well as in Australia.

Precambrian

Banned
Yep, I think he will call it quits post WC 11, though I dont see him getting there without making some "skips" of tournaments in between. Which will be really challenging, coz there will be claims to his spots from players who's do well in such "lesser" tournaments.

Safely, I think its adieus Sachin from Down under.

yaju

State Vice-Captain
Ok one series win and we are all high and mighty now, the best Odi team in the world, right??
This is the problem with the "certain" Indian fans, when they praise their team or players then they go to ridiculous lengths to prove how well their team played and when they criticise them they touch new lows while doing so, they just can't react to anything in moderation.
See, India has won many series before, but here it just wasn't about 22 players on a field with sticks and bails. The way certain players like Ponting, Hayden, Symonds and Clarke behaved, it wasn't in favour of the game. They were behaving as if they are the king of the world and the young Indian players are their butlers.

I am happy over the victory of the Indian team, but I am more happy over the fact that these 4 arrogant guys got what they deserved for their silly and immature behaviour. Australia is a great team, but these 4 had started setting low standards for the game. It's hard to imagine that they play in the same team along with guys like Hussey, Gilchrist, Lee, etc..

Precambrian

Banned
Yep, I think he will call it quits post WC 11, though I dont see him getting there without making some "skips" of tournaments in between. Which will be really challenging, coz there will be claims to his spots from players who's do well in such "lesser" tournaments.

Safely, I think its adieus Sachin from Down under, and well played. perhaps the best touring batsman in Down under in the last 40-50 years. (Fully open to corrections, I am)

biased indian

International Coach
Another fanatic. I cant believe some people are creating ids and in their first post they are calling names to someone who has every right to have and convey his opinion about Tendulkar's performance as a cricket commentator.

Fanatics like you continue to prove him right that it is not possible to criticize Tendulkar without getting attacked by his fanatics.
Sorry when you do it often and every time you are proven wrong,,,its hard to not criticize

Precambrian

Banned
Which player in the world has been criticised, analysed, cross-analysed and had his entire batting technique, skill-set, mindset and not forget runs, literally dissected and post-mortemed like Sachin? The greatness of this player lies in the fact that despite every captain's claim of "Oh, we have analysed him, we know his weaknesses", he has invariably come on top. There is no player who has constantly evolved as Sachin Tendulkar. Proof was the just gone series. There were talks about Sachin having problem with pull and hook due to the shoulder problem, and he tackled it with that "Over-the-slips" dab. Completely undid Ponting to the extent that he stationed two third-mans, and still he managed to split them.

Lara and Sachin has among many things one in common, once they get going, they literally start to toy with the bowling, playing mischeviously and making batting look ridiculously simple. Whatever the conditions be.

And yet instead of appreciating what service he has done to the Indian Cricket, and to the Cricket as such, he is made always the first scape goar whenever he plays bad. Just unbelievable. BCCI and Cricket in India owes a hell of a lot to Sachin tendulkar for making the sport so popular in the country.

JBH001

International Regular
Actually most of the people you see at the cricket are students who have come to study in India. So they are very much nationlistics and you become so even more once your out of your country.I don't particularely think its lack of class but after the way Australian team acted and how the media and the crowd was after Harbhjan, You could see why they'd boo Ponting.He Acted like an absolute arsehole in tests but was much better in ODI series.
Really? That large group of people of differing ages and ***es were all students? None of the local Indians turned out at all? In Sydney? I find that hard to believe...

In any case, even if that were true, I still think it particularly poor behaviour (as it was entirely undeserved on the part of Punter and Bracken). Although perhaps less so if they did not indeed make their living and homes in Australia.

In any case, I am tired of this. Its over-reactions like this that make posting on CW, at times, such a tiresome experience.

R_D

International Debutant
Really? That large group of people of differing ages and ***es were all students? None of the local Indians turned out at all? In Sydney? I find that hard to believe...

In any case, even if that were true, I still think it particularly poor behaviour (as it was entirely undeserved on the part of Punter and Bracken). Although perhaps less so if they did not indeed make their living and homes in Australia.

In any case, I am tired of this. Its over-reactions like this that make posting on CW, at times, such a tiresome experience.
Never said all of them were students but i'll bet you anything majority would've been students or recent students.
Did you also think it was bit classless of Australian fans to leave so quickly.. maybe they should've stayed back for presentation and cheered on Brad hogg and Gilchrist for the last time in Australian jersey ?
If Indians were out booing Australians cheers in that crowd shows how many people obviously left soon as they saw Aus lose. Maybe should've had bit of class to stay back and congratulate the Indian team? Maybe rather than singling out one crowd you should've said that about both set of supporters.
i didn't get the point about how it would've been ok if the Indian crowd had booed at their home ground but if its done away than its classless.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Never said all of them were students but i'll bet you anything majority would've been students or recent students.
Did you also think it was bit classless of Australian fans to leave so quickly.. maybe they should've stayed back for presentation and cheered on Brad hogg and Gilchrist for the last time in Australian jersey ?
If Indians were out booing Australians cheers in that crowd shows how many people obviously left soon as they saw Aus lose. Maybe should've had bit of class to stay back and congratulate the Indian team? Maybe rather than singling out one crowd you should've said that about both set of supporters.
i didn't get the point about how it would've been ok if the Indian crowd had booed at their home ground but if its done away than its classless.
He never said it was ok, he said he never liked the booing but it was worse in this scenario, a fact I agree with. Home crowds boo, that's what they do, I've argued against that in the past as well that touring sides should be shown hospitality by everyone including the crowds so I don't really like it either, but for fans of the opposing side to come and boo the home captain (and whilst he was praising their side at that!) and the MOTS leaves a lot to be desired. The Indian fans weren't classless, the ones who booed, however, were.

Australian fans leaving early is neither here nor there. I've been to plenty of sporting events and if you're on the losing side you never want to stick around, you just want to get on that first train home and avoid getting stuck there forever.

Precambrian

Banned
Cant agree with you more.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/cbs/content/current/story/341080.html - Tired Australia consider more breaks

Funny, Australia started their season in Sep 2007 with the 20-20, while Indians have been playing non-stop cricket since.... well.... wc 07! And Australians havent even toured since Indian ODI tour in Oct, whilke the traditionally less fit Indian contingent have been touring Windies, Bangladesh, England, South Africa, and Australia on the trot.

Bit of a lame excuse, innit? Definitely a lame excuse as far as batting is concerned. For bowling, ok, but then Aussies were touted to have the best bench strength in the world!

pasag

RTDAS
Cant agree with you more.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/cbs/content/current/story/341080.html - Tired Australia consider more breaks

Funny, Australia started their season in Sep 2007 with the 20-20, while Indians have been playing non-stop cricket since.... well.... wc 07! And Australians havent even toured since Indian ODI tour in Oct, whilke the traditionally less fit Indian contingent have been touring Windies, Bangladesh, England, South Africa, and Australia on the trot.

Bit of a lame excuse, innit? Definitely a lame excuse as far as batting is concerned. For bowling, ok, but then Aussies were touted to have the best bench strength in the world!
How do you know it was an excuse though?! You don't know what questions he was asked and what he was responding to?

biased indian

International Coach
Good point made

pasag

RTDAS
Very well, it is not an excuse then. As Ponting said in the post match conference, " No excuses. They just outplayed us".
It's pretty rare that Ponting makes excuses after a series defeat and that's one of the reasons the Aussies usually bounce back so well. They admit they weren't up to the standard necessary, are honest with themselves and do whatever it takes to get back to their best (I just feel sorry for the WI who always seem to be on the receiving end of this soul-searching :p).

biased indian

International Coach
He never said it was ok, he said he never liked the booing but it was worse in this scenario, a fact I agree with. Home crowds boo, that's what they do, I've argued against that in the past as well that touring sides should be shown hospitality by everyone including the crowds so I don't really like it either, but for fans of the opposing side to come and boo the home captain (and whilst he was praising their side at that!) and the MOTS leaves a lot to be desired. The Indian fans weren't classless, the ones who booed, however, were.

Australian fans leaving early is neither here nor there. I've been to plenty of sporting events and if you're on the losing side you never want to stick around, you just want to get on that first train home and avoid getting stuck there forever.
either nobody can do it..or everybody can do it

why it it ok if home crowd boo???

in way most of the indian fans will be australians itself so they also can be treated home crowd supporting india :)

pasag

RTDAS
either nobody can do it..or everybody can do it

why it it ok if home crowd boo???

in way most of the indian fans will be australians itself so they also can be treated home crowd supporting india :)
Look, you guys have got to start reading the posts more carefully, this is happening too often in this thread for my liking. Read the first few lines again, specifically when I explained JBH001 saying it wasn't ok and then when I said I didn't like it either.

Precambrian

Banned
Will the Aussie media report that "Indian fans abuse aussie players" when they boo at Symmo and haydo and maybe Punter in the upcoming Ind home series?

I frankly think the media reaction was absolutely over the top.

Chubb

International Regular
It's a bit rich of the Aussies to complain about their schedule, they ought to try playing England's or India's. They had nine months off test cricket before this summer. The most rest England and India players can expect is about a month.

From October 2006 England played the ICC Champions Trophy, Ashes, then the CB, then the WC, then tests and ODIs v. WIndies, tests and seven ODIs v. India, the 2020WC and the Sri Lanka ODIs. Whats the biggest break they had there, three weeks? Obviously more England and India players only play tests or ODIs, but still, I don't really think that is fair.

It comes from playing in the northern summer, of course, but it still strikes me as extremely punishing for someone like Pietersen or Cook, certainly compared to the kind of workloads Australia feels are tiring them out.

Precambrian

Banned
And it is a fact that Australian players have played more home Tests and odis than any team since 2000. dont forget the Indian players even had to go in the peak of summer to places like Sharjah to play ODI tournaments to satisfy their bosses. Glad that now the subcontinental players have some bit of liberty to say "No we cant" when pressed on to play more matches.