• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series 2007-08

pup11

International Coach
Well the feeling has truly seeped in by now, we have messed up things in the finals 2nd year in a row, which is a bit sad, we won't see Gilly or Hogg again in Australian colours which is again a sad thing, this was probably the last tri-series in Australia which has been such an integral part of the international annual cricket calendar, so it would have been good if we could have won the series to give a fitting farewell to Gilly and George and the tri-series format too, but sadly that was not to be.
I just hope lessons are learned from this series, Ponting would be mad as hell as they got owned in the finals and that's something you don't expect from his side, i am sure the guys would be more keen and focused to do well in the upcoming games and i am sure Ponting himself would like to turn-around his personal form.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well the feeling has truly seeped in by now, we have messed up things in the finals 2nd year in a row, which is a bit sad, we won't see Gilly or Hogg again in Australian colours which is again a sad thing, this was probably the last tri-series in Australia which has been such an integral part of the international annual cricket calendar, so it would have been good if we could have won the series to give a fitting farewell to Gilly and George and the tri-series format too, but sadly that was not to be.
I just hope lessons are learned from this series, Ponting would be mad as hell as they got owned in the finals and that's something you don't expect from his side, i am sure the guys would be more keen and focused to do well in the upcoming games and i am sure Ponting himself would like to turn-around his personal form.
I know you're gutted your team lost, but any pride or joy seeing your home country maybe finally taking the next steps and fulfilling their potential?

pup11

International Coach
Agree, but Ponting didn't live up to what he said. Probably he meant that he'll score 2 runs in the final sans any boundary.

Sachin also told a fan that India may wrap up the series before the 3rd match, and look at the way he performed.
Ok one series win and we are all high and mighty now, the best Odi team in the world, right??
This is the problem with the "certain" Indian fans, when they praise their team or players then they go to ridiculous lengths to prove how well their team played and when they criticise them they touch new lows while doing so, they just can't react to anything in moderation.

ret

International Debutant
i guess u r an Indian .... though i hv nothing againt for u supporting the OZ, I usually don't respect ppl who support the 'other' team unless they have some ties with the 'other' team like dual citizenship, permanant resident, country of origin, country of family's origin

i know this is a sensitive issue and i sincerly hope that^ is the case with you but by just linking one's self to a team does not give one the bragging right for e.g. a Korean bragging over Brazil triumphs in soccer!!!! Or a guy in say Kolkatta, who has never set is foot out-side Ind, supporting England in a football game against Ind just coz he supports Arsenal, a club he has no 'real' connection with and thinks that Ind sucks in football

if you are supporting OZ then go ahead but it would be good if you can furnish us with your 'bragging' rights over the OZ team

just my 2 cents

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i guess u r an Indian .... though i hv nothing againt for u supporting the OZ, I usually don't respect ppl who support the 'other' team unless they have some ties with the 'other' team like dual citizenship, permanant resident, country of origin, country of family's origin

i know this is a sensitive issue and i sincerly hope that^ is the case with you but by just linking one's self to a team does not give one the bragging right for e.g. a Korean bragging over Brazil triumphs in soccer!!!! Or a guy in say Kolkatta, who has never set is foot out-side Ind, supporting England in a football game against Ind just coz he supports Arsenal, a club he has no 'real' connection with and thinks that Ind sucks in football

if you are supporting OZ then go ahead but it would be good if you can furnish us with your 'bragging' rights over the OZ team

just my 2 cents
Arsenal would have to be the least English team you could have possibly chosen from the Premiership. :laugh:

sportsnob

Cricket Spectator
Congratulations to India! But I for one, am so glad that this tour is over. Man, it was just controversy after controversy. And I couldn't even enjoy the cricket. Both teams, both sets of fans and both sets of media were utterly juvenile trying the whole "he started it.." crap. I just hope that things cool down by the time the Aussies come down here in october because that has the potential to be an absolute cracker of a series!

Seriously, I was surprised by the manner in which we won. Stepping up when the chips are down seems to have been trademarked by the Aussies but men/boys like Rohit Sharma, and Praveen Kumar seem to have learnt a lot ! Good stuff and good to see the Aussies losing (not because I dislike the Australians but MAN have you guys won too much!)

howardj

International Coach
I don't quote this to mock you, because heaven knows I've made some extremely bad predictions in my time (lost a bucket load on last year's CB Series), but I think you are India's good luck charm Howard. First in Sydney, and now in Brisbane.

Keep predicting an easy India loss, and maybe this ODI team will be consistent for once :p
ha

Yeah, up to about 2006 I watched a lot of cricket. Thus, I grew up watching Australia win everything...so I just expect us to crush all-comers and have an inability to think for myself. lol. Although you wouldn't know it from my McGrath-like predictions, I'm not a mad screaming patriot. In fact, I spend more time cheering for a contest than I do for Australia. I love the game more than any one team.

JBH001

International Regular
Have not read through all the previous comments since the match began yesterday, but will trawl through them later. But what a game, eh? Watched virtually the whole thing yesterday with a bunch of Indian lads and it was nail-biting stuff there, unremitting tension all through the game. Top game and a good end to the format and series.

Very well done, India. Great play from them when it mattered in two finals.

Well played Australia, but not good enough. Still, I think they will come back stronger from this, and I still dont believe the doom sayers about the so-called decline of Australia cricket. Nonsense, enough and more talented and keen players coming through the ranks in the State format, ready and waiting to forge their own lustrous careers in the paths of their forebears in the Australian colours.

A few closing comments:

Sachin. What a champion and what a batsman. He really stepped up when it really mattered. I think people often underestimate the steel in the man behind the quiet demeanour. He really wanted to score runs in the tests and for India to do well, and his determination showed in those two knocks in Perth and Adelaide. And here again, his determination to get runs at the top of the order really showed in both finals. He looked as focussed as I have ever seen him, and dare I say it, the comments from Hayden pre-finals only added to that and made him more keen to score runs and to win. (as he showed in the Sydney HB fiasco, he was not going to take a backward step to the Australians and was tired of copping it after so many visits down under)

Although I commiserate with the Australian team, I am glad that HB was the partnership breaker against Hayden and Symonds in both finals. I dont like HB, and he has copped a lot of flak this series (some deserved and some not) but he fed off it, seemed to get stronger, and got his own back when it mattered. It did me good to see him get the wickets of both the mindless cro-magnon cretins Hayden and Symonds.

Some very poor behaviour from the Indian crowd post match. Very poor indeed. As I commented to some of the Indians watching it with me, I could understand it, if not condone it, if they were Indian crowds in India, but Indians in Australia? Come on, have some class. Bracken was outstanding and Punter did not deserve a boo.

See ya Gilly. Great memories from the champion. Shame he could not fire a quick fire 50 in the finals (and Australia still lose) but that was not how it was meant to be. It was a shame at the end that the Australian crown had gone home, and there was no-one there to really cheer for him except for a warmly appreciative Indian crowd.

Its been a great summer of cricket. Loved it and enjoyed it.Looking forward to the return series later in the year.

Oh and one final word, some of the Indians (probably) indulging in jingo-istic chest thumping should recall that old adage, be gracious in defeat and humble in victory.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Go India! Go India! Go India! It's been pretty good times for the Indian fans since the 2007 WC, must admit! :happy: :happy:

Love India tbh, love this team oh so much!

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
Some very poor behaviour from the Indian crowd post match. Very poor indeed. As I commented to some of the Indians watching it with me, I could understand it, if not condone it, if they were Indian crowds in India, but Indians in Australia? Come on, have some class. Bracken was outstanding and Punter did not deserve a boo.
just coz some section of the crowd booed Bracken and Ponting, are you implying that Inds in Aus don't hv class 8-)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was at the game last night, pleased to have witnessed Sachin's last ever innings in Australia.

I'm sure the performances have been talked about heaps already, so I'll just say Andrew Symonds shoulder charge made my night! It was awesome and really got the crowd going.

JBH001

International Regular
The problem with the ignore option is that you have to be logged in to use it...

And though, debating the worth of replying, it seems worth it to say:

Stop putting words in my mouth you blithering juvenile idiot. FFS.

logs back on so as to avoid rets mindless mumblings

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

does any one know wht happened to gilly here ????

why he argued with the camera man ???
He was walking off and apparently the cameraman got i nhis way as he did so.
Disgraceful by the Indian fans to boo Bracken. They should appreciate the superb cricket he has played this summer and give him the reception he deserves.
True, but many people get over-excited in crowds having just seen their team win. It was way OTT though.
Very gracious by Punter. Nice one pal.
I liked how he didn't blame the off-field crap for the performances, gave credit to India and seemed very sincere in his words. Top effort.
Yeah, he spoke well.
SA to over take AUS in ICC Ranking if they wiln all three games in Bangladesh
Love those rankings - this time last year they won the WC, and have beaten India in India, before losing this series. Oh well, c'est la vie.
Nothing wrong with Ponting saying Australia will win 2-0, he had confidence in his team... he was just wrong.

Hayden though obviously has deserved every bit of criticism he has gotten.
AWTA.
Loved being at the game. Was so happy that the result wasn't decided until the last over.

Love Hopes, such a gun player. Shame he couldn't get us over the line.

Loved the atmosphere.
Like to see him do what Hayden did earlier in his career and go to India for some intensive work against spin. When hayden was younger, he was every bit as wooden vs spin as Hopes is atm. It was a really fine knock from him.
yeah kind of stupid if he gets a punishment tbh, during rugby and football matches you often see the players try and tackle someone invading the pitch to the floor, dont see why it should be any different here.
It's different because those blokes tackle people for a living, but I agree he did nothing wrong, as the bloke looked like he was running full tilt at him.
is it just me or are Indian fans more concerned about their team winning than fans of Aussie cricket who just want a good contest as well (not a bad thing necessarily btw)... i think that makes em really hungry and so passionate..and yea, a bit over the top sometimes

no doubt that M word will be talked about again *yawn
dont think Aussies will pull out though... pride ourselves on sticking through thick and thin i recn and crowd factor wont be a problem...
i do fear for Punter Symo and Haydos though :laugh:
but as long as they get RUNS then they WILL be fine.... gotta let the bat do the talking.... and the results on the board
DWTA - there are any number of Aussie fans who are evey bit as parochial as Indian supporters when it comes to seeing their side win over all else.
I'd set up a roving band of baton wielding security guards who would swing a baton right at the crotch of anyone who says the word monkey or imitates a monkey when Symonds is out there. Tired of this racist bull****.

As a crowd, go ahead and boo him if you don't like him, and you can goad him a little when he is at the boundry, but keep the racist filth out. It's disgusting and just showcases how much of an idiot you are.
Let 'em borrow one of your rifles? :)

ha

Yeah, up to about 2006 I watched a lot of cricket. Thus, I grew up watching Australia win everything...so I just expect us to crush all-comers and have an inability to think for myself. lol. Although you wouldn't know it from my McGrath-like predictions, I'm not a mad screaming patriot. In fact, I spend more time cheering for a contest than I do for Australia. I love the game more than any one team.
Had one of those great father-son moments on Monday morning when the little bloke woke up and said "Is the cricekt finished? Who won?" "India" "What?" "India won mate". "Australia lost?" "Yep". Slow, slow head shake from the little fella - he couldn't believe it. Having grown up in the 70s and seen the 80s, his reaction was a sight to behold, lemme tell you.

ret

International Debutant
The problem with the ignore option is that you have to be logged in to use it...

And though, debating the worth of replying, it seems worth it to say:

Stop putting words in my mouth you blithering juvenile idiot. FFS.

logs back on so as to avoid rets mindless mumblings

^ and this guy was talking abt showing class 8-)

just my 2 cents

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good stuff - will no doubt make "Wildest Sports Videos" or some such dire program.
Symonds to top up his IPL deal with a WWE "Streaker Smackdown" special in winter.