• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series 2007-08

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In any case, even if that were true, I still think it particularly poor behaviour (as it was entirely undeserved on the part of Punter and Bracken). Although perhaps less so if they did not indeed make their living and homes in Australia. .
Bracken, it was undeserved. Ponting, very deserved.

And even Bracken - it's just booing....

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In any case, even if that were true, I still think it particularly poor behaviour (as it was entirely undeserved on the part of Punter and Bracken). Although perhaps less so if they did not indeed make their living and homes in Australia.
Haha, no. Ponting doesn't represent all the people of Australia. He wasn't democratically elected to his position where you could claim something like that. He represents Cricket Australia, who picked him to do a job in a private industry. I'll be damned the day I support Harbhajan out of some messed up notion that he represents the 'people' of India. No, he represents the BCCI (a private organization). I have no ties to him, nor any reason not to boo him.

Please. That is a ridiculous argument. Just because he has the word 'Australia' or 'India' on his shirt - that doesn't mean anything.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Bracken, it was undeserved. Ponting, very deserved.

And even Bracken - it's just booing....
The trouble is, for me Cricket is(or was) a much better game than any other game. Cricket was supposed to uphold values like sportsmanship and fair-play, Where opponents clap and appreciate a good innings, bowlers acknowledge a good shot by a batsman and batsmen acknowledge a really good delivery by a bowler which beat them all ends.........but I guess all of this sounds like utopia and has no place in the modern world which is gradually becoming a sad place.

I don't think anyone should be booed, if you don't have anything good to say then its better to be silent.........just because cricketers are public figures does not mean that they can be subjected to abuse.........they are human beings after all. Unlike most politician who lie, cheat and steal, cricketers earn their livelihoods by playing a sport really well and entertaining people who come to watch them.
Booing itself is very crass, uncouth and uncivilised, whatever Ponting's crimes may be, two wrongs do not make a right.

Having said all that........I was a bit saddened with what all was thrown at Harbhajan throughout this series. I don't personally think that Bhajji is an excellent human being but for the public to go about trying to humiliate him was not on.

I don't purport to understand what being "Australian" is........but I doubt that such behavior shows Australians in the best of light..........right up there with painting donkeys and burning effigies for me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The trouble is, for me Cricket is(or was) a much better game than any other game. Cricket was supposed to uphold values like sportsmanship and fair-play, Where opponents clap and appreciate a good innings, bowlers acknowledge a good shot by a batsman and batsmen acknowledge a really good delivery by a bowler which beat them all ends.........but I guess all of this sounds like utopia and has no place in the modern world which is gradually becoming a sad place.
That's nostalgia - cricket hasn't been that way for a very very long time.

I don't think anyone should be booed, if you don't have anything good to say then its better to be silent.........just because cricketers are public figures does not mean that they can be subjected to abuse.........they are human beings after all. Unlike most politician who lie, cheat and steal, cricketers earn their livelihoods by playing a sport really well and entertaining people who come to watch them.
And politicians get booed too. I'm sorry but if you're a paying customer in a stadium, you have the right to show your displeasure at something or someone. That doesn't make you abusive.

Booing itself is very crass, uncouth and uncivilised, whatever Ponting's crimes may be, two wrongs do not make a right.
I don't think those are his 'crimes'. His arrogance may actually help his batting - who knows? But I don't have to like it, and I should be able to show that within reason. I don't think either is 'wrong' in the sense you're talking about. He is a millionaire sports star, and he does what he thinks is best to do well, and we show what we think about those methods (whether its cheering Gilly or booing Ponting).

Having said all that........I was a bit saddened with what all was thrown at Harbhajan throughout this series. I don't personally think that Bhajji is an excellent human being but for the public to go about trying to humiliate him was not on.
Nah, he is worse than Ponting. Ponting, to my knowledge, is not a racist SOB. But that's besides the point. The Aussie crowds plainly don't like him (and I don't blame them),a nd they show their displeasure every time he comes to bat.

I don't understand the double standard here by some where you could only boo some players.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Which still does not mean that the path modern cricket has taken is the right one.

And politicians get booed too. I'm sorry but if you're a paying customer in a stadium, you have the right to show your displeasure at something or someone. That doesn't make you abusive.
And I dont think booing a politician is the best way to put him down either...........if you want to put-down a polly then ignore him, don't turn up for his meetings and don't vote for him.

I don't think those are his 'crimes'. His arrogance may actually help his batting - who knows? But I don't have to like it, and I should be able to show that within reason. I don't think either is 'wrong' in the sense you're talking about.
I know that he sledges, which in my book is absolutely wrong.

He is a millionaire sports star, and he does what he thinks is best to do well, and we show what we think about those methods (whether its cheering Gilly or booing Ponting).
Lets say he was not a millionaire sports star, but a struggling one like many of the past India greats, they were all stars but poor..........would you still boo him? If no then how can you honestly say that booing Ponting just because he is rich is OK.

Nah, he is worse than Ponting. Ponting, to my knowledge, is not a racist SOB. But that's besides the point. The Aussie crowds plainly don't like him (and I don't blame them),a nd they show their displeasure every time he comes to bat.

I don't understand the double standard here by some where you could only boo some players.
Your argument that you can boo harbhajan because he is a racist SOB, is not much morally away from his argument that he abused Symonds because Symonds started the abuse. How can you then claim yourself to be any better than Harbhajan?

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, no. Ponting doesn't represent all the people of Australia. He wasn't democratically elected to his position where you could claim something like that. He represents Cricket Australia, who picked him to do a job in a private industry. I'll be damned the day I support Harbhajan out of some messed up notion that he represents the 'people' of India. No, he represents the BCCI (a private organization). I have no ties to him, nor any reason not to boo him.

Please. That is a ridiculous argument. Just because he has the word 'Australia' or 'India' on his shirt - that doesn't mean anything.
I can't see how this post has anything to do with the one you quoted and responded to.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Which still does not mean that the path modern cricket has taken is the right one.
This is one doodle that can't be undid, homeskillet.

Lets say he was not a millionaire sports star, but a struggling one like many of the past India greats, they were all stars but poor..........would you still boo him? If no then how can you honestly say that booing Ponting just because he is rich is OK.
Nah, they are still sports figures in public arenas, so its OK by me.

Your argument that you can boo harbhajan because he is a racist SOB, is not much morally away from his argument that he abused Symonds because Symonds started the abuse. How can you then claim yourself to be any better than Harbhajan?
Well I'm fine with booing Symonds too, but obviously Harbhajan's reply was much worse.

In any case, I did not say we should abuse him - I said we should boo him (e.g, a way to voice displeasure at their arrogant ignorant asses).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I can't see how this post has anything to do with the one you quoted and responded to.
He said that people living in Australia shouldn't boo the Australian captain. I am saying that Ponting doesn't represent the 'Australian people' or some notion like that.

pasag

RTDAS
It may not be in its absolute purest form, or to the extent of the 50s but there are plenty of acts of sportsmanship that go on in cricket to this day. We still see batsmen being clapped, guards of honour and a range of examples of sportsmanship present all the time. You have plenty of crap as well to go along with it, but it still exists and still sets the sport apart from the rest. As sirdj said, just because it doesn't happen to the extent we'd like, doesn't mean it shouldn't. And just look at the way SL often conduct themselves for illustration of the way cricket should be played.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
This is one doodle that can't be undid, homeskillet.
It can be if the ICC are really interested in saving the spirit this game.

Nah, they are still sports figures in public arenas, so its OK by me.
So you would have booed a past Indian player just because you did not like his fielding, his batting or his defensive attitude in test matches. Sad.

Well I'm fine with booing Symonds too, but obviously Harbhajan's reply was much worse.
So you still hold him guilty of racism even though Hansen exonerated him? Are you judge, jury & executioner BTW?

In any case, I did not say we should abuse him - I said we should boo him (e.g, a way to voice displeasure at their arrogant ignorant asses).
So calling him a wanker etc is OK and is not abuse?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Please link to where someone has said this? Unless I missed a post, everyone talking on this topic has voiced their displeasure of booing full stop.

In any case, even if that were true, I still think it particularly poor behaviour (as it was entirely undeserved on the part of Punter and Bracken). Although perhaps less so if they did not indeed make their living and homes in Australia.

Hardly, 'full stop'.

It can be if the ICC are really interested in saving the spirit this game.
You can undo the professional era of cricket.

]So you would have booed a past Indian player just because you did not like his fielding, his batting or his defensive attitude in test matches. Sad.
Why is that sad? If I thought he sucked, I'll let him know it.

So you still hold him guilty of racism even though Hansen exonerated him? Are you judge, jury & executioner BTW?
Nope, I fully agree there was not enough evidence to convict him in a court of law. I can go by circumstantial and hearsay evidence, where they can't. I think the Australian players heard what they heard.

So calling him a wanker etc is OK and is not abuse?
By another player? Well, I don't want sledging on the field, but this is not racism.
By the fans? No, I don't support fans yelling that type of stuff out either.

pasag

RTDAS

Hardly, 'full stop'.
It is full stop. At no point has he said that you can boo in certain places and in certain places you can't. 'Less so' implies degrees of direness, but not that one is ok and that one is not. You commented 'I don't understand the double standard here by some where you could only boo some players.' No one has said that.

ret

International Debutant
Yes they do make me feel very small, as a human being. I am sure you feel otherwise.
you have an amazing ability to miss the central points

what i m trying to say is that those are the issues [murder, robbery, rape, etc] that should make a person feel small and not some booing at a cricket stadium by a random crowd

there are so many things that you can pride on being an Indian, if booing by a small section of the crowd is something that overrides other positive things and makes you feel small as an Indian then you definately deserve it coz it's you who is discounting the national pride on that basis. thats a narrow thinking in my PoV

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
Really? That large group of people of differing ages and ***es were all students? None of the local Indians turned out at all? In Sydney? I find that hard to believe...

In any case, I am tired of this. Its over-reactions like this that make posting on CW, at times, such a tiresome experience.
It's not over-reactions but ur thoughless comments that is making posting a tiresome experience for you .... if you want to make this a better experience then improve ur standard of posting

Ist, you try to shove ur poor immigrant mentality down ppl's throats and then assume things abt ppl according to ur standards

2ndly, most immigrants bring value to the country they come to. they work, spend money & pay taxes, along with other things that builds economy and contributes towards social benefits

that same immigrant could be booing at a Indian stadium saying 'Shastri Hai Hai' or 'Azhar Hai Hai' .... heck, even Tendulkar was booed in Bombay, his home ground .... so there is no point in ur telling Indians to boo at their home venues and not at 'other' teams venues w/o understanding how Indians are

Inds are amongst the most successful community in most countries they go to and bring value to those countries, unlike ppl of some nationalities that feel blessed at being immigrated coz their country his turning crap with gurellas shooting all around

JBH001

International Regular
getting sucked in...but sense of humour has returned this beautiful morning

Never said all of them were students but i'll bet you anything majority would've been students or recent students.
I sincerely doubt that. A number may have been students but all of them, or even the majority? Come of it.

In any case, as I said earlier, it was still a poor show (albeit less so).

Did you also think it was bit classless of Australian fans to leave so quickly.. maybe they should've stayed back for presentation and cheered on Brad hogg and Gilchrist for the last time in Australian jersey?
As I said earlier, I implied as much when I said:

"See ya Gilly. Great memories from the champion. Shame he could not fire a quick fire 50 in the finals (and Australia still lose) but that was not how it was meant to be. It was a shame at the end that the Australian crown had gone home, and there was no-one there to really cheer for him except for a warmly appreciative Indian crowd."

You will note that here *gasp* I seem to support the Indian crowd? Whatever am I thinking? [/end sarcasm] As I said earlier, and clarified later, to boo and denigrate the captain of the Australian team and the leading bowler of the tournament (just because he happens to be Un-Indian) is a graceless and classless act.

And I stand by that.

If Indians were out booing Australians cheers in that crowd shows how many people obviously left soon as they saw Aus lose. Maybe should've had bit of class to stay back and congratulate the Indian team? Maybe rather than singling out one crowd you should've said that about both set of supporters.
Oh please, spare me. That would be asking both crowds to be saints, you honestly expect them to hang around when their team lost and the Indian team is celebrating like no tomorrow or vice versa? Just twisting the knife to hang around (although even then I did see a small contingent of hardcore Australians hanging around to cheer, and especially to farewell Gilly. Good on them) But it is not asking too much to ask for and expect some good manners and some courteous behaviour - whatever the circumstances and especially after an enthralling and tight ODI final, and bs excuses otherwise.

i didn't get the point about how it would've been ok if the Indian crowd had booed at their home ground but if its done away than its classless.
Again, I will quote from my original post:

"Some very poor behaviour from the Indian crowd post match. Very poor indeed. As I commented to some of the Indians watching it with me, I could understand it, if not condone it, if they were Indian crowds in India, but Indians in Australia? Come on, have some class."

At no point did I say it was OK.

In case anyone really wants to, they can look back on my posts on this and see that I have maintained a pretty consistent position throughout. Jeez, lol.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular

Er no its not a 'ridiculous' argument. The fact that a number of Australians (most of them moderate posters) have commented on it, is even more reason to think otherwise.

And your 'response' (such as it was) is as much a strawman as any I have seen.

JBH001

International Regular
Anyway, reading through the last couple of pages of utter tripe (pasag excepted) is making me tired again. Time to get out of this suddenly limp thread.

sportsnob

Cricket Spectator
Quick Question:

Been trying to google but what was the overall prize money of the tournament and how much did India get? Any idea?!