• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series 2007-08

viktor

State Vice-Captain
yeah so condemn them who is stoping you to say that the crowd's behavior was bad .... why assume that those were the ppl who want to be the OZ citizens and stuff like that

and i feel bad if you felt small for what a section of crowd did. i guess murders, robberies, rapes by ppl would be turning you into a dwarf

lol, i guess taking that comparsion in the literal sense is height of stupidity. may be you can take it as even a head of states get booed in his country, so is that a big deal? a deal definately but a big deal?
The comment was directed at those Indians in the crowdwho had settled in OZ and had booed the OZ players, not at everybody.
His point basically being, "Jis thali mein khaya useemein chhed mat karo"

ret

International Debutant
The comment was directed at those Indians in the crowdwho had settled in OZ and had booed the OZ players, not at everybody.
His point basically being, "Jis thali mein khaya useemein chhed mat karo"
yeah but how did he know that those ppl were representative of that group? the A to that Q beats me

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
and i feel bad if you felt small for what a section of crowd did. i guess murders, robberies, rapes by ppl would be turning you into a dwarf
Yes they do make me feel very small, as a human being. I am sure you feel otherwise.

pup11

International Coach
ret;1498608[B said:
]i guess u r an Indian[/B] .... though i hv nothing againt for u supporting the OZ, I usually don't respect ppl who support the 'other' team unless they have some ties with the 'other' team like dual citizenship, permanant resident, country of origin, country of family's origin

i know this is a sensitive issue and i sincerly hope that^ is the case with you but by just linking one's self to a team does not give one the bragging right for e.g. a Korean bragging over Brazil triumphs in soccer!!!! Or a guy in say Kolkatta, who has never set is foot out-side Ind, supporting England in a football game against Ind just coz he supports Arsenal, a club he has no 'real' connection with and thinks that Ind sucks in football

if you are supporting OZ then go ahead but it would be good if you can furnish us with your 'bragging' rights over the OZ team

just my 2 cents
Yeah mate i am Indian, but my mom is an Australian, but that is one of the very few reasons i like the Australian cricket team, i just love the way in which they go about playing their game, its not that i am some glory seeker who just supports Australia because they are the no.1 team, i would support the Australian cricket team through thick and thin because i am a true Aussie cricket fan for life.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Meh, might get slated for this but it's fairly ordinary to see lack of grace of some people more interested in sticking it to certain players, fans more interested in booing at the presentation ceremony when the player of their choice of MOTS doesn't get the award and people scrounging through I told you so posts (mb banter aside) the second the series is over. Leaves a bad taste and comes across as a touch vindictive. Whatever, expected better, I'm out.
not sure how many in this thread have though.. as far as I have read so far, it is been ok... And when Hayden comes up with gems like "They are probably doing all this coz they are frustrated they are not winning any matches"...

I mean, did you seriously expect ppl to not mock him after such ridiculous comments????? Gamesmanship, ****iness and arrogance are different, but he was just being a moron just for the heck of it and deserves all the slagging he gets....

And apart from making fun of him and Symonds (and why the hell did he charge down that streaker anyway, from the clip I saw, he wasn't even running towards Symonds), I think most of the Indian posters here have been excellent. As I said, don't understand what you said at all. Should rank alongside what Sanz said about "majority" of the Aussie posters in the Hayden/Harbhajan thread and it was only 4 guys....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Exactly. Ponting's conduct throughout the ODI series was perfect. It was ridiculous to boo him and especially Bracken who has done nothing but play superb cricket all tournament.
Indeed... Extremely disappointed with that. I have actually started to respect Ponting a bit because of this tour. Seems to be a bloke who has his share of stupid moments, but at least seems like a honest bloke, who wont mind it if the reverse happened and he was given the treatment that he is giving others.... And Bracken is all class as an ODI bowler. Haven't seen him sledge or anything much either.. Guess they were juz disappointed it wasn't an Indian. Still very poor form from them.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed... Extremely disappointed with that. I have actually started to respect Ponting a bit because of this tour. Seems to be a bloke who has his share of stupid moments, but at least seems like a honest bloke, who wont mind it if the reverse happened and he was given the treatment that he is giving others.... And Bracken is all class as an ODI bowler. Haven't seen him sledge or anything much either.. Guess they were juz disappointed it wasn't an Indian. Still very poor form from them.
Certainly I think Ponting could have done a number of things differently in the tour, particularly in Sydney.

Without going over it all again, his making the "out" symbol was certainly tactless when Ganguly was out, had he walked to the umpire and merely told him the fielder said he caught it, it would have looked a lot better and still been in keeping with the agreement he and Kumble had struck. Likewise I don't believe he ought to have claimed his catch in Sydney which wasn't given.

One thing I don't agree with though is the criticism he copped after telling the umpires about the Harbhajan/ Symonds allegations. To my way of thinking, given what the ICC had told players and captains, but more importantly from the game's welfare point of view, I believe any captain who was told by a player that they had been subject to racial abuse and didn't report it would be doing the game a disservice.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Certainly I think Ponting could have done a number of things differently in the tour, particularly in Sydney.

Without going over it all again, his making the "out" symbol was certainly tactless when Ganguly was out, had he walked to the umpire and merely told him the fielder said he caught it, it would have looked a lot better and still been in keeping with the agreement he and Kumble had struck. Likewise I don't believe he ought to have claimed his catch in Sydney which wasn't given.

One thing I don't agree with though is the criticism he copped after telling the umpires about the Harbhajan/ Symonds allegations. To my way of thinking, given what the ICC had told players and captains, but more importantly from the game's welfare point of view, I believe any captain who was told by a player that they had been subject to racial abuse and didn't report it would be doing the game a disservice.
yeah.. I guess the point the Indians make is that you have to consider what your guy did as well.. Again it boils down to "personal insults and racist insults" thing, doesn't it? IF Harby thought Symonds called him or someone dear to him certain names, then he may feel that abusing Symonds racially is just tit for tat. Anyways, it is all over and done now... We'll leave it at that.

biased indian

International Coach
To be true to all, sitting here readin the thread and the post..ya i also do think that they should not have done it to bracken and ponting.....

But with the way the whole tour has gone..if i was in the stadium at that time..with the excitment of win in my blood...may be mee tooo would have boooed :)

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
i agree the booing was very poor form, but there are idiots fans on both sides

Just saw on Ten news some Indian fan got hurt by drunken Australian fans in front of his 12 year old son

farken hell, i wish people would just realise its a sport

No one shows any class anymore....

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
not sure how many in this thread have though.. as far as I have read so far, it is been ok... And when Hayden comes up with gems like "They are probably doing all this coz they are frustrated they are not winning any matches"...

I mean, did you seriously expect ppl to not mock him after such ridiculous comments????? Gamesmanship, ****iness and arrogance are different, but he was just being a moron just for the heck of it and deserves all the slagging he gets....

And apart from making fun of him and Symonds (and why the hell did he charge down that streaker anyway, from the clip I saw, he wasn't even running towards Symonds), I think most of the Indian posters here have been excellent. As I said, don't understand what you said at all. Should rank alongside what Sanz said about "majority" of the Aussie posters in the Hayden/Harbhajan thread and it was only 4 guys....
I don't mind the fact that people have a go at Hayden or Symonds after all is said and done at all, they deserve a certain amount of stick they get. What irked me though was that it was the first thing some people seemed to respond with after the win and it seemed giving it back, to some, was more important than just celebrating the win for what it was - a magnifcient win against the number one ranked side in their own home. I'm not interested in continuing this though, I don't feel it's too appropriate to go on about or point fingers, I just wanted to say my peice and that's that.

Edit: And I never said anything about the majority of anyone, I said 'some'.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
FFS!!!

>_< >_< >_<

Since Pasag has had to try and explain my post, and done a pretty good job of it too, let me clarify exactly what I meant by that paragraph.

If the booing had happened in India by a whole bunch of native Indians, I would have understood it, even if not condoned it. That sort of stuff happens, especially when sport becomes tarred with the jingoistic nationalistic brush (as has happened to a greater degree than normal in this series). But, I would say that most of the Indians in that crowd were Indians who had moved to work and to live in Australia. In time they, or their children will become naturalised Australians. Now, that does not meant that they have to support the Australians (I for example always support SL vs NZ, and NZ otherwise - albeit not very enthusiastically) but it does mean that booing the captain of the Australian national team, and the best bowler of the tournament (just because he seems to be Australian, or not Indian) is a particularly graceless and classless act.
Actually most of the people you see at the cricket are students who have come to study in India. So they are very much nationlistics and you become so even more once your out of your country.I don't particularely think its lack of class but after the way Australian team acted and how the media and the crowd was after Harbhjan, You could see why they'd boo Ponting.He Acted like an absolute arsehole in tests but was much better in ODI series.

Precambrian

Banned
Am glad for one thing. Sachin showed that he is masterclass despite rubbish criticisms about he cowering when it comes to performing in the finals by Sanjay Loser Manjrekar & Co. And the best thing is, he lets the bat than the mouth talk.

The booing of the Aussie cap was pathetic to say the least, whoever they were. But so was the booing of Bhajji. Anyway deplorable.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Am glad for one thing. Sachin showed that he is masterclass despite rubbish criticisms about he cowering when it comes to performing in the finals by Sanjay Loser Manjrekar & Co. And the best thing is, he lets the bat than the mouth talk.
Another fanatic. I cant believe some people are creating ids and in their first post they are calling names to someone who has every right to have and convey his opinion about Tendulkar's performance as a cricket commentator.

Fanatics like you continue to prove him right that it is not possible to criticize Tendulkar without getting attacked by his fanatics.

irfan

State Captain
Am fuming that Perth couldn't show this final live, and had to put it as a delayed telecast. Basically prevented me from posting and avoiding any news sources.

[Back to the game]

Whoa. What an absolute thriller. Brilliant effort from both sides and the pendulum swung violently during the run chase. Like Jono and Duffer before, I felt we seriously ****ed it up in the last ten overs where from a position of absolute dominance (3-200 @ 38 ovrs) we only just got to 260. Bracks (best death bowler in the world for mine) and Hopes bowled very well tho. Really annoyed at Yuvraj, can tear any attack apart but just doesn't when and what to go for and ends up swiping crap deliveries straight to fielders. Needs a big kick up the backside. Solid opening stand from Tendulkar and Uthappa - obv listened to howardj and eschewed any unneccesary risks and denied the new ball bowlers. Yuvraj's dismissal was the turning point score would have been 300+ if he had have settled in. Johnson's 9 wides turned out to be the eventual difference.

What a perfomance by Praveen first up, was swinging it both ways and swapping after each delivery. I know Flintoff and 05 England could reverse swing it both ways but haven't seen a new ball bowler do it as consistenly as Praveen in his initial burst. Thought Sreesanth was OK but didn't get enough deliveries in the right area. He could have improved if Hayden had of been caught. Thought Haydos and Symo played very well considering the circumstance and pressure but yet again when seemingly in control they lost their wickets - Hayden to a poor piece of running and Symonds to a well-bowled Bhaji offie. Didn't give Australia much of a chance after that but Hussey and Hopes proved me wrong - Hussey especially found the gaps at will and the boundaries when Hopes was struggling. FWIW, I think Hopes really screwed it up at the start - I mean you can't be 15(36) when your chasing above 6 an over and despite his later heroics that difference proved too big to reel in.

I think the only difference between the two sides was that India (masterminded by Dhoni) frequently changed up their seamers and the organisation of both their bowling and batting attack throughout. He gave them the confidence to perform and they did. Whereas Australia was very stock standard in their personnel, a bit like bread it becomes stale if you leave it out too long. Would have loved D Hussey, Voges, Noffke, McGain etc. to have got a run during their league phase and their mere presence would have changed Dhoni's bowling plans to all the batsman. Overall a great series - magnificently fought, and for all those who crib about the controversy bull**** why don't you go watch Steyn rout BD and see if you can get a meaningful contest there.

irfan

State Captain
I think that India should play Praveen Kumar in this ODI series. His agressive batting and swing bowling make him a necessity. Although he may not quite have the pace to succeed at Test level yet, he will certainly be a handy ODI bowler. Amongst his Test performances, I need not remind people that RP Singh has performed poorly recently in ODIs, as has Sreesanth. I am a fan of separating performances in the three separate games and consequently RP Singh and, to a lesser extent Sreesanth should both be on short leashes in the team if they get selected for the earlier ODIs.
Call of the thread. Best player in the final series. Well done Manee :thumbup:

Precambrian

Banned
Another fanatic. I cant believe some people are creating ids and in their first post they are calling names to someone who has every right to have and convey his opinion about Tendulkar's performance as a cricket commentator.

Fanatics like you continue to prove him right that it is not possible to criticize Tendulkar without getting attacked by his fanatics.
Lolz, whats your problem in me criticising Manjrekar's comments? For quite a long time he's been on Sachin's tail, commenting on his commitment and form, even questioning once his integrity.

Am a die hard of Tendulkar, yeah, while I respect Manjrekar's right as a person to express and opinion, I detest the stupidity of that opinion. And when the opinions become regularly stupid, one starts detesting the opinion-maker. For example, Ian Chappel called for Tendulkar's retirement post wc 07. There were come stupid observations in that article. however I respect Ian and rate him as one of the finest observators of the game, because he has been spot on in many other things.

irfan

State Captain
What the ****? Dropping Ganguly, that has to be one of the stupidest decisions in recent times. India want a slick fielding side, obviously, but do they not care for the runs Ganguly has been making?

Gambhir really shouldn't be anywhere near the Indian side.
240 is more than enough.

Australia to win comfortably.

We'll get an early wicket as always, and then swarm like a pack of wild dogs.

India, predictably, to be 4 for 60.

All out for 190.
:laugh: Hindsight. Gotta Love it...

Precambrian

Banned
In gambhir's case, 95% of Indians would have said the same thing. But he proved everyone wrong by strengthening his basic game, which is all square for pace bowlers and excellent feet-play against spinners. Aussies realised the weakness only towards the end games, where they cemented the offside square regions and then tempted gambhir into playing over-the-top against the spinner. He hardly had the strength to clear the 84-metre boundary despite the timing.

It will not be too long when I see captains placing a deep point for Gambhir immediately when he comes to bat. He had a very good series (also thanks to some "sitter-drops" by the srilankans in that game in which he made a 100). Hope he continues the same form and better technique and earn himself the test opening spot ahead of Wasim Crapper.

As for Ganguly omission, it was apt, considering his poor form in the test series. However a Dravid would've been good in the side, as clearly the batting revolved around Dhoni/Gambhir for most part of the series and finally Tendlya delivrd the master-punch in the finals. Rohit Sharma did well in a couple of games, but Uthappa has not live upto expectations, and that's a potentially vacant position in the ODI team.

Precambrian

Banned
And frankly, had Sachin not clicked I really wonder whether India would have won the any of the finals. Esp the second, it was there for everyone to see how the Indian innings spluttered and gasped once Tendulkar got out. Whatever be the talk in the channels about "Youth power" and thing, it is of little doubt that India still relies on Tendulkar a hell of a lot.