• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tbqh those 4 pacers (Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Rabada) all deserve a place in this XI so I don't mind this. It's not like SA have needed quality spinners to win matches in the past

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbqh those 4 pacers (Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Rabada) all deserve a place in this XI so I don't mind this. It's not like SA have needed quality spinners to win matches in the past
That's got to be the strongest pace attack rolled out in cricket for a while, unless they've all played together before as well

mr_mister

yeah I agree. truly don't know who you would cut out of them, they all bring something different to the table as well

mr_mister

i reckon just play your best 4 bowlers unless there is a pitch super suited to spin which you probs won't get this summer - maybe the SCG but everyone says it doesn't even turn as much as its used to

I wonder if there was a decent Windies spinner in the 80s kept in FC despite being the best in his country, simply because he wasn't good enough to justify selection ahead of Roberts/Garner/Holding/Marshall/Croft

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That's got to be the strongest pace attack rolled out in cricket for a while, unless they've all played together before as well
First time the`ve all been fit since Rabada came into the side.....

Also go back to my earlier post if Parnell continues in his good form, he is definite number 7 material in place of Duminy and gives us more variety..... his injury really was bad timing for his inclusion.

i reckon just play your best 4 bowlers unless there is a pitch super suited to spin which you probs won't get this summer - maybe the SCG but everyone says it doesn't even turn as much as its used to
Shamsi has the potential of being a world class spinner.... would probably have to drop Morkel at this stage for him.

mr_mister

I remember Parnells LO debut out here back in '09, surprised to find he's played **** all cricket since then

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I remember Parnells LO debut out here back in '09, surprised to find he's played **** all cricket since then
Between injuries and spending all his time on the bench (Kallis was still around)... when he eventually got a shot ,he was terrible.

Last year he was left out the SA squad and given a season at domestic level. Ended up as one of the highest wicket takers and scored a couple of hundreds, hence making his way back into the squad. Was looking forward to see how he would go this season, was such a good prospective all-rounder when he played the U19 world cup those many years ago.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I wonder if there was a decent Windies spinner in the 80s kept in FC despite being the best in his country, simply because he wasn't good enough to justify selection ahead of Roberts/Garner/Holding/Marshall/Croft
I think Dereck Parry was regarded as a pretty good offie, but I don't know that he played much at all for the reason you stated. There was also Harper but tbh I don't think he was much chop.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You just know this whole Marsh injury is perfectly set up for Burns to score a ton and retain his place.
If there is some juice in the track ill be happy for Burns if he lasts a session without getting caught behind the wicket or bowled/lbw.

I should add other dismissals such as handling the ball and hit wicket too to cover all basis.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That 4 man pace attack if fit is the best pace attack in the world by a country mile. And I don't think a spinner is necessary, but a 5th bowler is important. It's not easy to replace Kallis and I totally understand South Africa wanting to go with 7 batsmen. It's just one of those selection dilemmas..you have to take a gamble and hope it works.
Both are risky ones - playing 6 batsmen and playing 4 bowlers. Just hope the pace attack delivers and they don't have to spend 2 days bowling 140 overs.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Cook
2. Elgar
3. du Plessis
4. Amla
5. de Villiers
6. Bavuma
7. de Kock
8. Philander
9. Rabada
10. Steyn
11. Shamsi

12. Rossouw
13. Duminy
14. Morkel
15. Abbott

Seems like the logical progression to me. Does that hit quota targets?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
1. Cook
2. Elgar
3. du Plessis
4. Amla
5. de Villiers
6. Bavuma
7. de Kock
8. Philander
9. Rabada
10. Steyn
11. Shamsi

12. Rossouw
13. Duminy
14. Morkel
15. Abbott

Technically misses by 1... 6 players of colour, 2 of which should be 'black' which your team meets... hence the issue of Duminy. But the real target is based on an overall avg across all formats, so if we play more players of colour in LO it can account for the test team having 5 players.

Edit: Oh and obviously problems come in if you play a 4 man pace attack replacing Shamsi with Morkel.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
IMO Philander, Morris and Parnell are good enough to bat at 7 in tests. If South Africa wants to play their best team then Vern must bat at 7. But then again we are a conservative nation so we'll probably see this team.

Elgar
Cook
Du plessis
Amla
Bavuma
Duminy
DeKock
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Steyn.

Based on form that looks about right.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
1. Cook
2. Elgar
3. du Plessis
4. Amla
5. de Villiers
6. Bavuma
7. de Kock
8. Philander
9. Rabada
10. Steyn
11. Shamsi

12. Rossouw
13. Duminy
14. Morkel
15. Abbott

lol as if du Plessis has the balls to go anywhere near number 3.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
IMO Philander, Morris and Parnell are good enough to bat at 7 in tests. If South Africa wants to play their best team then Vern must bat at 7. But then again we are a conservative nation so we'll probably see this team.

Elgar
Cook
Du plessis
Amla
Bavuma
Duminy
DeKock
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Steyn.

Based on form that looks about right.
Shamsi before Maharaj (assuming we play a spinner), as nice as the batting for Maharaj may be.. And obviously Amla must bat 3.