• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Isn't Nevill the best keeper in the country? He should be a certain starter then
Lyon is the best spinner and Voges is one of the best middle order bats in the country too and both have more runs on the board at Test level IMO than Nevill, so why is Nev a guy who averages south of 21 a certainty and the others are not?

Having Voges in the lineup makes people not care so much about Nevill's batting, so I think it is easy to argue that Voges is more of a certainty. My comment was a passing one, not saying Nevill should be axed or anything, it just felt like a NSW biased comment from a New South Welshman to say we've got 5 certainties and they all play for NSW. I realise what state Lyon plays for too.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
We'll surely just go in with the same team as last summer?? Not sure how much consideration should be given to away test form given how **** Australia have been away for many years now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In a stunning, unforeseen development, SMarsh has apparently pulled up lame and is in doubt for the first test as well. How can a bloke who gets out cheaply so often hurt himself so much?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Firdose Moonda on why Faf du Plessis is better placed to captain South Africa than AB de Villiers | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Some interesting information I was not aware in this one. Assuming no injuries, when De Villers returns... who gets dropped?

Think this tour could be important for, Cook, Elgar, Duminy, Faf..... 4 does not into 3 go. Obviously the quota issue Duminy some lee-way (rightly/wrongly). I can see Elgar under pressure. Really like the man but not a great record when you actually look closely. However he has leadership ability and is relatively young. Cook is newest in the team and not that young, but has looked good and is the only genuine opening batsmen. Duminy has an all round game potential and has got back into form. If he maintains form in Aus then will almost definitely keep his place. Faf has been leading the team brilliantly, and is probably (up till now at least) the best batsmen of the lot! This tour is going to be so very important to all of them.... assuming de Villers comes back! And should Faf continue to captain?

Bahseph

State Captain
From the evidence so far , Faf may very well be more suited to captaincy than AB, but due to the transformation policy he isn't assured of his place in the side.

AB, Faf , Amla, JP and Bavuma are all in the running for four spots if the plan is to keep De Kock at 7. AB & Hash pick themselves and Bavuma hasn't done anything wrong so far. The fact that he is a black African helps as we need two of them in the team on average.

JP and Faf are in the running for one spot and because of the composition of the rest of the side JP has to play to meet the transformation requirements. Whether that makes full cricketing sense is up for debate but I feel like the selectors might just have their decision made for them at the moment.

They could do something drastic and make De Kock open but that opens up a whole other range of debates.

Bahseph

State Captain
Duminy's Test career has basically been saved by this policy. He has the potential, but that's never been his problem.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Duminy's Test career has basically been saved by this policy. He has the potential, but that's never been his problem.
Duminy also had lots of injury problems, some of them quite unlucky.... People forget Elgar is not an opener, he was given the responsibility after Smiths retirement and because our middle order batting is full. That is why, considering his numbers at test level, he could just as easily drop out and move QDK up the order.... Duminy place is also not assured long term as if Parnell continues his good form, he has a clear ability to bat 7 and be a fantastic 5th bowler..... his injury really took options away from SA this Aus series.

Julian87

State Captain
I don't think you can pick Marsh after yet another hamstring injury considering he's nowhere near being an absolute must pick at full fitness,

I still believe they'll do whatever possible to omit Nathan Lyon, especially now they have Matador stats to 'validate' such selections.

Bahseph

State Captain
Duminy also had lots of injury problems, some of them quite unlucky.... People forget Elgar is not an opener, he was given the responsibility after Smiths retirement and because our middle order batting is full. That is why, considering his numbers at test level, he could just as easily drop out and move QDK up the order.... Duminy place is also not assured long term as if Parnell continues his good form, he has a clear ability to bat 7 and be a fantastic 5th bowler..... his injury really took options away from SA this Aus series.
If Parnell or Phelukwayo (in the long term) develop into acceptable Test no.7s then that solves a whole host of problems.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You just know this whole Marsh injury is perfectly set up for Burns to score a ton and retain his place.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Firdose Moonda on why Faf du Plessis is better placed to captain South Africa than AB de Villiers | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Some interesting information I was not aware in this one. Assuming no injuries, when De Villers returns... who gets dropped?

Think this tour could be important for, Cook, Elgar, Duminy, Faf..... 4 does not into 3 go. Obviously the quota issue Duminy some lee-way (rightly/wrongly). I can see Elgar under pressure. Really like the man but not a great record when you actually look closely. However he has leadership ability and is relatively young. Cook is newest in the team and not that young, but has looked good and is the only genuine opening batsmen. Duminy has an all round game potential and has got back into form. If he maintains form in Aus then will almost definitely keep his place. Faf has been leading the team brilliantly, and is probably (up till now at least) the best batsmen of the lot! This tour is going to be so very important to all of them.... assuming de Villers comes back! And should Faf continue to captain?
An unfair comparison to be fair but I guess nothing succeeds like success.

Faf faced a dreadful NZ side over two test matches with a full strength bowling attack, won 1 while the other was rained out/could have possibly won 2
AB faced a much stronger England side over 2 test matches without his two main strike bowlers..won 1, lost 1.

Too early for both.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
An unfair comparison to be fair but I guess nothing succeeds like success.

Faf faced a dreadful NZ side over two test matches with a full strength bowling attack, won 1 while the other was rained out/could have possibly won 2
AB faced a much stronger England side over 2 test matches without his two main strike bowlers..won 1, lost 1.

Too early for both.
I think its less the results and more the man management skill... Faf's big problem is he is not guaranteed a place in the side, otherwise he has been considered a better leader than de Villers throughout their careers.

Bahseph

State Captain
I think its less the results and more the man management skill... Faf's big problem is he is not guaranteed a place in the side, otherwise he has been considered a better leader than de Villers throughout their careers.
This sums it up perfectly.

91Jmay

International Coach
Not sure that will be very effective in Australia. Also mean your skipper is liable for fine/ban with over rates.