• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The last time a we played a wrist spinner down under, he got murdered. Do you really want to take that chance?
With Shamsi, yeah.. think he has the temperament. And at least he has been part of the SA LO squad for awhile. But think that we will probably go 4 paces for at least 2 of the tests...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah agreed, both Philander and Parnell are getting nosebleeds at 7. Aussie conditions punish teams who stack their pace attack but can't put on 500 when the going is good and SA really need the extra batting anyway.

Steyn, Rabada and Morkel are probably nailed on for Perth. Gut says Philander is struggling to take that 4th spot and one feels that, in comparison, Parnell is on the up with both bat and ball but probably depends on the warm-up in Rads.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
There's no way the SA team is going to line up on an Australian tour with Philander at 7. I think the punt will be taken on Duminy to bowl a few overs now and then. And Elgar if things get desperate ?

Burgey

If Ravi Ashwin can be considered a genuine all rounder, Vern can bat seven any old time.

Burgey

Ashwin backs up that claim with stunning numbers though. He is been super consistent as well.
Come on mate, this has been discussed in other threads. His record has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. There's some good discussion about it in the Ashwin 800 wickets and Ashwin Streak threads.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nah Ashwin is a perfectly fine Test match #7 tbf. Not in an ATG context, obviously, but given the 6/7 combinations in each of the other Top 8 teams, Ashwin is a passable #7 these days.

Marsh & Nevill
Stokes & Bairstow
Watling & Santner
Sarfraz & Nawaz (3)
Duminy & de Kock or de Kock & Philander/Parnell/Morris
Chandimal & de Silva
Chase & Dowrich

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwin is a number 7 if followed by decent 8 and 9 (Saha and Jadeja). But, if it is Steyn, Morkel, Rabada and Tahir/Shamsi/someone from 8-11, Ashwin can't be at 7. Same with Philander.

Daemon

Ashwin is a number 7 if followed by decent 8 and 9 (Saha and Jadeja). But, if it is Steyn, Morkel, Rabada and Tahir/Shamsi/someone from 8-11, Ashwin can't be at 7. Same with Philander.
Yeah, I like this way of looking at the issue. Philander walking in at 5 down with the tail starting immediately after just doesn't inspire any sort of confidence.

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah, I like this way of looking at the issue. Philander walking in at 5 down with the tail starting immediately after just doesn't inspire any sort of confidence.
SA's tail at the moment isn't the strongest going around and It hasn't been for a few years. Which is jarring considering Pollock used to regularly bat at 9 a decade ago.

Rabada does have some potential with the bat. He could develop into a decent tailender , definitely better than Steyn, Morkel , Abbott, Piedt etc.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ashwin backs up that claim with stunning numbers though. He is been super consistent as well.
Has he bollocks. He's dined out on the West Indies bowlers and been far less convincing when facing the better attacks. He's no more a proper all rounder then someone like Woakes (a far better batsman then Philander who would IMO look out of place at 7).

Bahseph

State Captain
Ashwin looks a little like VVS at times and has great timing. But doesn't move his feet much and never gets fully forward.

He could be a good number 7 but he still has to prove himself. I'm not a stats guy but I assume his non-windies average is significantly lower than his overall average.

Not a slight on the guy cos you still have to score runs no matter who the opposition is , but to be a genuine all rounder I'd like to see him score runs in different conditions more regularly.

Top_Cat

Think he'd be more interested in being a genuine threat away with the ball than a genuine all-rounder, tbh.

91Jmay

International Coach
I think he is a bowling all rounder, because his bowling is so strong. Would be a fantastic number 8, 7 feels slightly to high but you can get away with him in most conditions.

Marius

International Debutant
Dwaine Pretorius could be a guy who could fill that no 7 all-rounder spot in the long-run.

Phehlukwayo too possibly, depending on how his batting comes on.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Has he bollocks. He's dined out on the West Indies bowlers and been far less convincing when facing the better attacks. He's no more a proper all rounder then someone like Woakes (a far better batsman then Philander who would IMO look out of place at 7).
I think Philander is a fine Nr 8 without being remotely good enough to be a 7

I reckon there will be at least one Test where its QdK/JP at 6/7 (either way round, doesn't really matter), with the 4 seamers to follow, as far as selection goes.