• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
****ing pathetic yet again England and they'll still persist with completely piss poor excuses for a one day cricketer like Bopara, Prior and Shah.

stumpski

International Captain
Heh, thought we were going to get the first ever maiden in a Power Play there.

I do think 230 could be a competitive total here, trouble is even that looks a long way off.

Last edited:

grecian

Bresnan looking dangerously competent with the bat here, he'd better watch that, it's just the type of thing that got Rashid dropped.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Rewind to eighteen months ago and Australia would have this game won in the first fifteen overs but their current lot could make a game of this.

stumpski

International Captain
Bresnan looking dangerously competent with the bat here, he'd better watch that, it's just the type of thing that got Rashid dropped.

Unless Swann has a blinder with the ball later, I can see him losing his place to Rashid for the next game tbh.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Unless Swann has a blinder with the ball later, I can see him losing his place to Rashid for the next game tbh.
Which is a joke given he was our best bowler in the last game yet still didn't get bowled out, and he was tidy in the first game as well. Our most reliable ODI bowler imo.

Anyway, the commentators were going on again about England not taking the batting powerplay earlier. It's the batsmen getting out too early to use it properly that is the problem. It probably is best used as a launch pad for the closing overs, but the better teams have good enough batsmen to still be at the crease when the powerplay is on.

If you look at the better sides, sure there will be times when they have collapsed and the tailenders have been in for the powerplay, but most of the times there will be players still there to take advantage of it.

It sounds really bad, but i'm hoping we don't win a game this series, one or two wins and you can guarantee the establishments reaction would be, 'we're not far away, we're a young side...blah blah blah' when the reality is this is not a good indication as to where we are in ODI's at the moment, Australia have been playing poorly(batting as poor as i can remember seeing in an Aussie ODI side(bar Watto)) so far this series and even then are they really a side to benchmark against anymore?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be ITSTL. Swann was England's best bowler in the last game. Best player, in fact. You couldn't say any of the batsmen outplayed him.

Uppercut

Which is a joke given he was our best bowler in the last game yet still didn't get bowled out, and he was tidy in the first game as well. Our most reliable ODI bowler imo.

Anyway, the commentators were going on again about England not taking the batting powerplay earlier. It's the batsmen getting out too early to use it properly that is the problem. It probably is best used as a launch pad for the closing overs, but the better teams have good enough batsmen to still be at the crease when the powerplay is on.
Indeed. The batting powerplay has become Ian Botham's scapegoat every time England bat like poo.

stumpski

International Captain
Would be ITSTL. Swann was England's best bowler in the last game. Best player, in fact. You couldn't say any of the batsmen outplayed him.
I didn't see much of it, but I assume he did most of his bowling in the 'quiet overs' did he? I just think that if we go 0-3 down here - as seems likely - there will be pressure to make a few changes. There has been criticism at Rashid's omission as it is. And if Denly is fit one of the batsmen may have to make way - Shah looks especially vulnerable.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Lol at Willis going off at Butcher in the interval discussion about SA tour.

LOL at Butcher wanting to pick all his old England mates in the side...wants to take Geriant Jones to SA

Uppercut

I didn't see much of it, but I assume he did most of his bowling in the 'quiet overs' did he? I just think that if we go 0-3 down here - as seems likely - there will be pressure to make a few changes. There has been criticism at Rashid's omission as it is. And if Denly is fit one of the batsmen may have to make way - Shah looks especially vulnerable.
Swann bowled eight straight overs at the awkward pre-death period actually, but regardless of when he bowled, he picked up two important wickets for not many runs so you can't really criticise. Maybe if he'd bowled well and taken 0/37 off ten you could say it was merely bowling at a nice time.

Pothas

Lol at Willis going off at Butcher in the interval discussion about SA tour.

LOL at Butcher wanting to pick all his old England mates in the side...wants to take Geriant Jones to SA
So glad Willis was in that feature, would have been painfully dull without him. Loved that when Athers asked him what to do with Harmison that he just replied leave him at home.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, Rashid did exaclty as above in the first ODI(bowling in the quiet overs, didn't take any wickets), and the commentators were creaming their pants over his spell.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Beefy really doesn't have a clue. Suggesting the selectors go back to Blackwell.

That be the guy who averaged under 15 in 30+ ODI's. 8-)